Ipswich close in on Ameobi deal

Jimbo

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with all ex-players I'm curious as to see his reception. I know a lot of fans have an unbelievable amount of venom in their pocket just for wor Shola, but I've always liked the lad. Not good enough for us, and I think his languid style belied his endeavour. He did score some important goals and when he was relied upon he did swell under the added pressure (Barca away springs to mind)

I wish him well and I'll not be booing him on his return.

SHOLA Ameobi could deliver another blow to Kevin Keegan's summer spending – by turning down a £4m move to Stoke City.

The striker joined the Championship club in late March with a view to a permanent switch to the Britannia Stadium.

After the Potters clinched promotion to the Premier League on Sunday, the deal was expected to be a formality, with the clubs having already agreed a fee.

But the 26-year-old – who saw his appearances for Stoke restricted by injury – is wavering over the move.

And it is by no means certain to go through, with Ameobi understood to be keen to return to Newcastle to fight for his place under Keegan next season.

Keegan himself, meanwhile, admitted after Monday's defeat to Chelsea that he did not believe he would have the kind of cash necessary to take the club back to the top end of the league table.

His plans would be further hit if he was to lose the anticipated windfall from Ameobi's proposed move.

However, there will be no shortage of interest in Ameobi from other clubs, and given the forwards ahead of him in the queue for first-team football at Newcastle, the former England Under-21 international's future could still be away from St James's Park.

He made just two league starts before his loan deal – one of them under Keegan – and for the first time in his United career he failed to find the net.

It was a stark contrast to his time under Sir Bobby Robson and Graeme Souness, when Ameobi – who has struck 46 goals for the club – was a regular in the Newcastle starting XI, and tipped for full England honours.

Meanwhile, Keegan has allowed Emre to miss Sunday's final game of the season away to Everton so he can link up with his Turkey team-mates ahead of next month's European Championships.

Source: http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Shola-b...mmer.4056487.jp

Do us a favour Shola - fuck off..... :)

Guest alex

"He made just two league starts before his loan deal – one of them under Keegan – and for the first time in his United career he failed to find the net."

I assume he means in a season like :)

As with all ex-players I'm curious as to see his reception. I know a lot of fans have an unbelievable amount of venom in their pocket just for wor Shola, but I've always liked the lad. Not good enough for us, and I think his languid style belied his endeavour. He did score some important goals and when he was relied upon he did swell under the added pressure (Barca away springs to mind)

I wish him well and I'll not be booing him on his return.

....in their pockets?

:)

Ameobi wavering over Stoke move

May 7 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

KEVIN KEEGAN could have £4m wiped off his summer transfer plans with Shola Ameobi wavering over his move to Stoke City.

The United hierarchy of Tony Jimenez and Dennis Wise appeared to have a great deal for the club by clawing in £575,000 for Ameobi’s loan spell at the Britannia Stadium.

And once Stoke gained promotion, which they duly did at the weekend, the plan was for Ameobi to make a permanent move to the Potteries with £4m making its way into the United coffers.

But the word from the Midlands today was that Ameobi is missing his native Tyneside and is not 100% certain that he wants to leave St James’s Park.

And if Ameobi pulls out at the last minute he will be on his way back home and will be a Newcastle player at the start of next season.

Stoke manager Tony Pulis could try and persuade Ameobi to give it a go and he has offered him a lucrative financial £1m-a-year contract.

But on the other hand, Pulis has always struck me as a straight-talking kind of a guy and he could well think that it is pointless signing a player who is uncertain about joining his club.

Ameobi got off to a flyer with Stoke, but he was injured at Coventry City and after that he did not start a game for Pulis.

And he really became just a bit-part player as he watched Stoke’s promotion from the substitutes bench.

Edited by Wacky Jnr

aye, in their pockets.

I wouldn't hold venom in my hands, it might be capable of entering the blood stream through skin...

you have to think ahead mate

SHOLA Ameobi could deliver another blow to Kevin Keegan's summer spending – by turning down a £4m move to Stoke City.

The striker joined the Championship club in late March with a view to a permanent switch to the Britannia Stadium.

After the Potters clinched promotion to the Premier League on Sunday, the deal was expected to be a formality, with the clubs having already agreed a fee.

But the 26-year-old – who saw his appearances for Stoke restricted by injury – is wavering over the move.

And it is by no means certain to go through, with Ameobi understood to be keen to return to Newcastle to fight for his place under Keegan next season.

Keegan himself, meanwhile, admitted after Monday's defeat to Chelsea that he did not believe he would have the kind of cash necessary to take the club back to the top end of the league table.

His plans would be further hit if he was to lose the anticipated windfall from Ameobi's proposed move.

However, there will be no shortage of interest in Ameobi from other clubs, and given the forwards ahead of him in the queue for first-team football at Newcastle, the former England Under-21 international's future could still be away from St James's Park.

He made just two league starts before his loan deal – one of them under Keegan – and for the first time in his United career he failed to find the net.

It was a stark contrast to his time under Sir Bobby Robson and Graeme Souness, when Ameobi – who has struck 46 goals for the club – was a regular in the Newcastle starting XI, and tipped for full England honours.

Meanwhile, Keegan has allowed Emre to miss Sunday's final game of the season away to Everton so he can link up with his Turkey team-mates ahead of next month's European Championships.

Source: http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Shola-b...mmer.4056487.jp

Do us a favour Shola - fuck off..... :)

oh ffs, does the lad not get it?

Guest BigThompers

What a fucking cling on. Like a piece of shit that just won't drop.

Take the fucking hint you fucking useless Nigerian-not-Gerodie-so-fuck-off piece of shit.

Guest Patrokles

Take the fucking hint you fucking useless cunt

Again, irony overload.

Guest BigThompers

Again, irony overload.

Double irony really. I don't know a poster that even likes you. People here think you're a patronizing little cunt.

Shola's attempt at a football career is a joke, with the magnitude second only to your attempts to make music.

Again, irony overload.

Double irony really. I don't know a poster that even likes you. People here think you're a patronizing little cunt.

Shola's attempt at a football career is a joke, with the magnitude second only to your attempts to make music.

Shola is a millionaire that has played champions league football and scored in the Nou Camp.

I like Ben, he's canny.

Now posters who like you...

I can understand him having second doubts, but really it's the best career move for him.

He'd be daft not to move, unless he thinks a more established Premiership club will come in for his signature.

Again, irony overload.

Possibly having your pettiest day yet, (which has to be as spectacular as it is depressing)

Guest BigThompers

Again, irony overload.

Possibly having your pettiest day yet, (which has to be as spectacular as it is depressing)

:)