Other games

Park Life

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It puzzles me how much the media absolutely worship O'Neill despite the fact his teams play horrible football, his transfers are awful and a lot of his success at Sunderland has owed a great deal to dumb luck.

He's not the most graceful character either.

tbf to MON he's a lovely bloke away from the game...met him a few times and got nothing to say bad about him

as a manager, well, he's done pretty good jobs you can't begrudge him that

Thought they were meant to have overtaken us by now?

Aye, no longer only 7 points behind now as that helmet posting on here last week was so gleefully pointing out.

Where's the mackem cockiness gone?

It'll come back when they beat QPR.

It puzzles me how much the media absolutely worship O'Neill despite the fact his teams play horrible football, his transfers are awful and a lot of his success at Sunderland has owed a great deal to dumb luck.

tbf to MON he's a lovely bloke away from the game...met him a few times and got nothing to say bad about him

Really?

I wouldn't say he did well at Villa & neither would a Villa fan, for the money he spent he got little real return and he left them with a lot of debt.

Scotland is Scotland but I suppose I can doff my cap to his job at Leicester,

Thought they were meant to have overtaken us by now?

Aye, no longer only 7 points behind now as that helmet posting on here last week was so gleefully pointing out.

Where's the mackem cockiness gone?

:lol: Blackburn are 9 behind them and we're 10 ahead of them. They have to win 4 more games than us in the last 9 I'm confident that wont happen.

Really?

I wouldn't say he did well at Villa & neither would a Villa fan, for the money he spent he got little real return and he left them with a lot of debt.

Scotland is Scotland but I suppose I can doff my cap to his job at Leicester,

Didn't spent crazy money at Villa from what I can remember? Ashley Young was a fantastic signing, so was Milner..

I don't think he spent anything like what Liverpool have and they were 5th for two consecutive seasons if I remember correctly...

Guest CabayeAye

O'Neill appeared before a parlimentary committee to defend spending 130m at Villa - most of his defence was it was "only" 70m net.

What I'd like to know is that if he was such a runaway success at Villa, why isn't he still there winning silverware? He certainly spent like a trophy winner.

The best thing O'Neill ever did was congratulate Robbie Williams on forging a successful solo career cos "I've gotta be honest, I thought it was over for you when you left the band. "

Edited by Gemmill

I don't think he's shite, but he is vastly overrated. His big chance was Villa, given a huge wedge and couldnt get them above 5th. Should make him a shoe-in for next Liverpool boss though. He got Celtic to a UEFA cup final....McLaren's was a bigger acheivement at Boro when he did it a couple of years later but I don't see any journo's wanking themselves off at his acheivements. It's because O'Neil is a part-qualified lawyer, football journo's think thats great and want to bask in his reflected fabbiness, the fuckin bell ends.

O'Neill's football style is not the most attractive, but I think it's clear he's had a positive impact there.

Agent Bagpuss had the same core group of players but wasn't getting any results, and the football was hardly anything to write home about.

MON has come in and galvanised the team and made them all work for each other. In terms of putting the opposition under pressure (when SAFC don't have the ball), they're one of the best teams in the league. However, this requires a ridiculous amount of effort, week in, week out, and will no doubt cause fatigue injuries.

Once the work rate dips, there is a lack of genuine quality to get them out of jail.

They're not relegation fodder, but I don't think they're good enough for the top 6 just yet. MON's signings so far (Wayne Bridge and Kyriakos [sp?]) don't really instil any fear in me.

If I was a mackem, my worry would be that O'Neill will bugger off when there's no money to spend. He seems to a little bit mentally unstable and I could see him "doing a Keegan" resulting in separation of toys from pram.

His tactics at Sunderland are trying to keep an extremely high work rate for 90 minutes and hope to nick a goal, fair play to him the players responded and put the work in but they look absolutely paggered now and they've got 3 more games in the next 10 days whereas we have 1. They also look very inept without Sessegnon who he'll probably have to buy a replacement for in the summer.