Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

On 18/01/2023 at 12:29, Alex said:

I quite fancy it actually. I’ve got a book of Edgar Allen Poe stories which I read a lot as a kid. ‘Tale of Mystery and Imagination’ I think it was called. With ‘Descent into Maelstrom’ and ‘The Murders in the Rue Morgue’ etc 

My son's first name is after Oscar Wilde and his full name is a deliberate an play on Edgar Allen Poe. 

My old man (Alan) passed about a year before the lad was born. Since he was the third born, we were low on inspiration for names, so when my missus said "he looks like a wee old man, he needs an old man name" the poor fucker now has to live with the initials OAP.  Probably cruel naming my son over an in joke, but I'll die happy knowing it's a reference to that moment and those words as well as Wilde, Poe and the grandad he never met.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

My son's first name is after Oscar Wilde and his full name is a deliberate an play on Edgar Allen Poe. 

My old man (Alan) passed about a year before the lad was born. Since he was the third born, we were low on inspiration for names, so when my missus said "he looks like a wee old man, he needs an old man name" the poor fucker now has to live with the initials OAP.  Probably cruel naming my son over an in joke, but I'll die happy knowing it's a reference to that moment and those words as well as Wilde, Poe and the grandad he never met.

The bairn should think himself lucky, Johnny Cash was named Sue. :good:

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Craig said:

Finally got round to watching Ted Lasso.

What's it like? Just working out if I should bother getting Apple TV or not (no, I'm not going down the IPTV route).

Finally got round to watching the Sopranos on Now this month, but now theyt're pulling it in 2 weeks time the twats. So far I think its okay but confused by the hype, what's that all about then? 

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

What's it like? Just working out if I should bother getting Apple TV or not (no, I'm not going down the IPTV route).

Finally got round to watching the Sopranos on Now this month, but now theyt're pulling it in 2 weeks time the twats. So far I think its okay but confused by the hype, what's that all about then? 

Ted Lasso has its moments. Got through a season and a half of it before giving up. Just too saccharine in the end for me.

Your sopranos comments deserves a 

Go Away Do Not Want GIF

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Ted Lasso has its moments. Got through a season and a half of it before giving up. Just too saccharine in the end for me.

Your sopranos comments deserves a 

Go Away Do Not Want GIF

Okay, does it take a while to get into the Sopranos? I'm watching it so far thinking its okay but not drawn in immediately like I was BB. I think in the latter case it was because the everyman nature of the charactgers and their evolution just gripped me from the start. But here we have Tony who is already established Mafia. Never been really that bothered about Mafia films etc. Anyway, it's moot as  I say cos its going off air, annoyingly. 

For some reason everyone is creaming themselves over the Last of Us, record IMdB etc. First episode so so, it covered about the same time as I got up to on the video game before I gave up on it cos I found it boring. Hopefully the story and characters will develop a bit more now and I can get the Oberon MArtell  and Lyanna Mormont type casts out of my head. 

37 minutes ago, Renton said:

I was open minded about it and found it very watchable. Albeit i'm only on episode 6 of season 1. There's similarities in terms of its humour with a serious undertone with Afterlife for me. 

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

For some reason everyone is creaming themselves over the Last of Us, record IMdB etc. First episode so so, it covered about the same time as I got up to on the video game before I gave up on it cos I found it boring. Hopefully the story and characters will develop a bit more now and I can get the Oberon MArtell  and Lyanna Mormont type casts out of my head. 

Exactly my thoughts - it was okay but they went on about it as though it was going to be fantastic... 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Okay, does it take a while to get into the Sopranos? I'm watching it so far thinking its okay but not drawn in immediately like I was BB. I think in the latter case it was because the everyman nature of the charactgers and their evolution just gripped me from the start. But here we have Tony who is already established Mafia. Never been really that bothered about Mafia films etc. Anyway, it's moot as  I say cos its going off air, annoyingly. 

i would put the sporanos up there with BB as one of the best TV series of all time 

• Like 1

First season of BB is canny slow. I know loads of people who checked out of BB in S1. 

Don't make the same mistake with Sopranos. Although it will undoubtedly have aged, but quite honestly that's your fucking fault for waiting this long to watch it. 

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

First season of BB is canny slow. I know loads of people who checked out of BB in S1. 

Don't make the same mistake with Sopranos. Although it will undoubtedly have aged, but quite honestly that's your fucking fault for waiting this long to watch it. 

BB wasn't slow like. In the first episode alone, we get the background to Walt's humdrum life, meet all the major characters, Walt is diagnosed with cancer, he hooks up with Jessie, he buys an RV and cooks meth in it, the pair are hijacked by Emilio and Crazy 8, Walt kills Emilio and crashes the RV. All in less than an hour. In comparison very little happens in The Sopranos episode 1. 

I mean I know some people who gave up on Game of Thrones, ostensibly because it was fantasy, but really cos it was too difficult for them to follow. :whistle:

And I completely get that the Sopranos is massively highly rated, hence my confusuion so far I'm just finding it flat. I think probably its just the genre, never been a massive Scorsese fan (I mean I like his stuff, but not to the extent his films are lauded. Thought the Irishman was boring as fuck tttt tbs tbs. 

Edited by Renton

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Get yourself a bit of religion and watch The Chosen. IMDB 9 point fucking 3

Quite a cool laid back portrayal of Jesus.

Anti-abortion lead actor; don't mind if I don't

10 minutes ago, Renton said:

BB wasn't slow like. In the first episode alone, we get the background to Walt's humdrum life, meet all the major characters, Walt is diagnosed with cancer, he hooks up with Jessie, he buys an RV and cooks meth in it, the pair are hijacked by Emilio and Crazy 8, Walt kills Emilio and crashes the RV. All in less than an hour. In comparison very little happens in The Sopranos episode 1. 

I mean I know some people who gave up on Game of Thrones, ostensibly because it was fantasy, but really cos it was too difficult for them to follow. :whistle:

And I completely get that the Sopranos is massively highly rated, hence my confusuion so far I'm just finding it flat. I think probably its just the genre, never been a massive Scorsese fan (I mean I like his stuff, but not to the extent his films are lauded. Thought the Irishman was boring as fuck tttt tbs tbs. 

There's always shitloads happens in the pilot, dunderheed! The fact remains that a lot of people don't see what's so good about BB in S1. 

I gave up on GoT because it was dogshit FTR. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

There's always shitloads happens in the pilot, dunderheed! The fact remains that a lot of people don't see what's so good about BB in S1. 

I gave up on GoT because it was dogshit FTR. 

People like different things. I think saying BB was slow is a strange one though because shitloads happed in series 1. 

As for GoT, don't make me get the Trump gif out. It was on course to being one of the greatest series of all time until they completely fucked up in the last 2 series. But it was complex, which iirc (and I do) is what stumped you.