Newcastle owner Mike Ashley shelves plans for statue of Alan Shearer

Scottish Mag

Anyone ever wondered how the Club would have done if he had never darkened our door. Some brilliant stuff was being played with Ferdinand up top. It wasn't too shabby either the one season they played together - 50+ goals between them iirc.

Certainly Shearers last 3 seasons where 3 seasons too many. Almost an embarrassment that last - let him get the record - season. Almost held the Club back for the last 2 if not 3 seasons. Was in effect finished when his partner (Bellamy) was usurped.

i often wondered along those lines. he was never quite the same player after that injury after his first year with us. we had to build the team to play around his strengths in the end. he almost became bigger than the club at one point too.

having said all that, he's still our record goal scorer, and was class those seasons he had bellas alongside him. he was still the best finisher in the game, even after he lost all his pace.

he was also unlucky not to have played in many great newcastle sides. we probably peaked the season before he arrived. he was feeding off scraps for most of his time with us.

He peaked two seasons before he arrived. Turned down a move here to go to Blackburn too btw.

he was still shit hot before he joined us though. was averaging over 30 goals a season at blackburn and got about 30 in his first season with us before he got injured.

he only played in one really great newcastle side mind, and it was for only one season. the only side that came close to that one was when sbr was in charge and i'd say that was a good side, rather than a great one.

I didn't say otherwise did I? You said he was unlucky not to play in a great Newcastle side though whereas it was actually down to his own choosing.

well yeah, but he was also unlucky we were only title contenders for one season after he joined. when he signed we looked like being the main challengers to man u for some time. he ended up playing in sides that were mostly gash.

EDIT - you said he peaked two seasons before he arrived. i'm not sure that's right. he was considered one of the best strikers in the world after euro 96 and had one season for us at his highest level i'd say

I think you're confusing what I mean. He was still one of the best strikers in the world but he was at his very best in the 94/95 season. Unstoppable tbh. Never quite the same player after that imo. Still class however. And I think, fair enough, you could say he was unlucky, like you could say he was unlucky he didn't go to Man Utd instead. But that was all down to him, looking after numero uno. Nowt wrong with that btw.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

his goal returns during that era were different class when you look back at it. only henry has been as consistently around the 30 goal a season mark in recent years.

blackburn years

93-94 - 48 games/34 goals

94-95 - 49 games/37 goals

95-96 - 48 games/37 goals

newcastle

96-97 40 games/28 goals

tbf, his strike rate always stacked up for us when he was fit, even when he was playing in crap sides and even later on in the twilight years.

98-99 - 40 games/21 goals

99/00 - 50 games/30 goals

01/02 - 46 games/27 goals

02/03 - 48 games/25 goals

03/04 - 51 games/28 goals

04/05 - 42 games/19 goals

05/06 - 41 games/14 goals

the only signing that came close to generating the same excitement levels in recent years was owen. shame he turned out to be crap for us.

there are similarities in both signing for us though. both arrived as england's number 1 striker. neither achieved quite as much as we were hoping for. when shearer signed, i expected him to be the final piece in the jigsaw in our title challenge but of course it never turned out that way.

owen signing i thought would guarantee us goals and hopefully get us back into the top four. so slightly lower expectations than when shearer signed because the team he was joining wasn't as good.

we were pretty unlucky with both of them when it came to injuries. owen was never the same after he did his knee.

Hi friends! I'm new in this forum.

I'm from Spain (Valencia), and I love Newcastle team , this is the number one!!!

Alan Shearer is the big legend in the world of football!!

Respect from Spain to Newcastle!

I'm from Spain (Valencia), and I love Newcastle team , this is the number one!!!

Welcome to the board Marra, and youre not wrong

:lol:

Welcome to the board Marra, and youre not wrong

:lol:

Thank's friend! :icon_lol:

I still think we'd have won the league in 95/96 if we'd have had Shearer up front instead of Sir Les.

Ooo thats a tough call man.

shearer got 37 goals that season for blackburn. sir les managed 29 for us. very difficult call to be fair. i think the team collectively bottled it; i wouldn't want to single out sir les for blame.

Sir les was fading in the last few games of that season, but he was a fantastic player for us. worked perfectly with shearer playing as his foil as well.

now if we'd have had both playing up front for us that season we'd have won it. don't think any team at that time could have stopped us.

40 already. Fuck me i remember him when he was 25 knocking them in for fun, how times fly. Good guy, good guy.

Even though you would have been about 3? :lol:

40 already. Fuck me i remember him when he was 25 knocking them in for fun, how times fly. Good guy, good guy.

Even though you would have been about 3? :lol:

Aye, good times :icon_lol:

Bloody awful pundit though :icon_lol:

And manager. :lol:

I query that view somewhat. He came in for 6 weeks at the end of the season when we'd already been through 3 managers, morale was possibly the lowest I've ever known it at the club and he had zero experience.

I know people will immediately say that Keegan had the same issue back in 1992 but back then the fans were not in direct opposition of the board, Keegan had twice as long to sort out the mess and, more importantly in my mind, he had the opportunity to spend money - without the acquistions of Kilcline & Sheedy we may not have stayed up.

Ask yourself if anyone else with zero experience would have been able to turn things around in those circumstances. I'm adamant they couldn't.

Bloody awful pundit though :angry:

And manager. :angry:

I query that view somewhat. He came in for 6 weeks at the end of the season when we'd already been through 3 managers, morale was possibly the lowest I've ever known it at the club and he had zero experience.

I know people will immediately say that Keegan had the same issue back in 1992 but back then the fans were not in direct opposition of the board, Keegan had twice as long to sort out the mess and, more importantly in my mind, he had the opportunity to spend money - without the acquistions of Kilcline & Sheedy we may not have stayed up.

Ask yourself if anyone else with zero experience would have been able to turn things around in those circumstances. I'm adamant they couldn't.

Agreed