Newcastle owner Mike Ashley shelves plans for statue of Alan Shearer

Scottish Mag

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody awful pundit though :angry:

And manager. :angry:

I query that view somewhat. He came in for 6 weeks at the end of the season when we'd already been through 3 managers, morale was possibly the lowest I've ever known it at the club and he had zero experience.

I know people will immediately say that Keegan had the same issue back in 1992 but back then the fans were not in direct opposition of the board, Keegan had twice as long to sort out the mess and, more importantly in my mind, he had the opportunity to spend money - without the acquistions of Kilcline & Sheedy we may not have stayed up.

Ask yourself if anyone else with zero experience would have been able to turn things around in those circumstances. I'm adamant they couldn't.

I agree, it was just a bit of light-hearted banter :icon_lol:

Seriously though, Shearer's tactics in the Villa game were fucking appalling.

Staring relegation in the face with 10 minutes to go and still only 2 up front.

I'd have rather have conceded 3 goals in the last ten minutes than go out with not even a whimper. Should have piled most of the team upfront.

Edited by Sima

Guest ScreamoonW

Alan Shearer scored against Manchester City last night to get goal number 250 in the Premiership. this is a fantastic achievement for arguably the greatest striker to grace the Premiership.

-T -T -T -T -T

PREMIERSHIPS TOP SCORERS

Alan Shearer - 250

Andy Cole - 172

Les Ferdinand - 150

Robbie Fowler- 149

Teddy Sheringham - 139

Alan Shearer scored against Manchester City last night to get goal number 250 in the Premiership. this is a fantastic achievement for arguably the greatest striker to grace the Premiership.

-T -T -T -T -T

PREMIERSHIPS TOP SCORERS

Alan Shearer - 250

Andy Cole - 172

Les Ferdinand - 150

Robbie Fowler- 149

Teddy Sheringham - 139

:angry:

Seriously though, Shearer's tactics in the Villa game were fucking appalling.

Staring relegation in the face with 10 minutes to go and still only 2 up front.

I'd have rather have conceded 3 goals in the last ten minutes than go out with not even a whimper. Should have piled most of the team upfront.

Would you write someone off as a manager after 6 games? Fuck me :angry:

I dont think whatever he done that game we'd have turned it around, we were destined for relegation the moment KK had to walk from being fucked over by MA. The club was in the worst state going through the worst turmoil in a long time. The only person to blame for us going down in my eyes was MA.

As for Shearer, it's a long time before he can be judged as a manager (assuming he takes up the reigns some time). As a player, the figures speak for themselves. I also wish we had him 2 seasons earlier and arguably he came to us when we were on a high. That should have been the final piece in the Jigsaw and done forget what a partnership he and Les started to form. Awesome is an understatement. But, we know what happened next. KK left as the club were floated, Shearer injured and Les sold. KD dismanted the side that was never to recover until Robson came. Despite the at times woeful sides we had out, Shearer was always our top scorer and made a much larger contribution than just the goal tally suggests at times single handedly dragging us through games.

Sure, he maybe played on a season too long, but then perhaps that itself only delayed the inevitable as what we had to offer after his departure was some of the worst since we came in the premiership.

It was often said that he held the team back as he was the sole importance of the side. Yeah, like we always really flew when he wasn't in eh.

Where did I say anything other than my usual depressingly negative shite. I don't know why I bother. ? :)

Happy Birthday Alan. You were a highlight in my otherwise unremarkable life. tbh

Fixed :angry:

:angry:

Actually tbf, you weren't writing him off but though I quoted your post I was also referring to some of the tone in previous threads.

Still amused by the reply though, fucking hell :icon_lol:

• 9 months later...

:lol:

Based on some punters in Ireland sticking large sums on him. Malky Mackay is the expected appointment.

Edited by JawD

Well fuck me. It's gonna be like guy fawlkes neet when Bellamy finds oot. Good club for Shearer though, am pleased for him.

Is it confirmed like?

Wish him all the best and who knows, in a few years he might prove a class manager and come back home again. :lol:

Got a feeling it's just not going to work out for him though... :lol:

Well fuck me. It's gonna be like guy fawlkes neet when Bellamy finds oot. Good club for Shearer though, am pleased for him.

Is it confirmed like?

Wish him all the best and who knows, in a few years he might prove a class manager and come back home again. :lol:

Got a feeling it's just not going to work out for him though... :lol:

All but confirmed I'm hearing, he's basically got it. I donno how he's gonna work with Bellamy like.

Bellas is back with Man City now, isn't he?

Cardiff have lost Bellamy, Bothroyd and maybe Chopra this summer. Be tough to rebuild.

Lost Burke as well. Shearer to start next season.