Matchday

Christmas Tree

Brunt looked brilliant but I'm not sure whether that's down to the skills of the player or the simple inability of our back four to realise that West Brom were systematically passing it to him on the wing expecting him to create something (All most like a playmaker Jonny :lol: )

He wasn't afraid to take a shot either, although most of them swerved very very wide.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brunt looked brilliant but I'm not sure whether that's down to the skills of the player or the simple inability of our back four to realise that West Brom were systematically passing it to him on the wing expecting him to create something (All most like a playmaker Jonny :lol: )

He wasn't afraid to take a shot either, although most of them swerved very very wide.

He was canny in the PL as well, ended as their top scorer. I'd have him over Jonas in a heartbeat.

Brunt looked good because Raylor is god awful. I'd play Jonas until he's sold. Not because he's good but simply because we've nothing in reserve. Unless we chang the system he's all we've got

You never know Davey boy, the man is a certified retard billionaire.

If he's going to take notice of anyone you are probably in the top ten :lol:

Guest Stevie

I think we played quite well, they couldn't get the ball off us in spells. I'm not going to start on Shola and Carroll, but we could be a canny side if we were assertive and explosive up front. Both of them are not good enough for the club, I think everyone knows that. If we signed even someone like Darius Henderson with a nippy little striker who can get goals, even someone like Sewpa Kev, we'd piss this league.

My main source of encouragement isn't as much to do with us, but to do with the other sides. They're fucking SHITE, even Duff and Nolan are streets ahead of most in this league, I thought WBA, the bookies favourites, were hugely disappointing, and if we get to the transfer window with most of them still here, and a new striker or two, I think we'll be fine :lol:

Edited by Stevie

I think we played quite well, they couldn't get the ball off us in spells. I'm not going to start on Shola and Carroll, but we could be a canny side if we were assertive and explosive up front. Both of them are not good enough for the club, I think everyone knows that. If we signed even someone like Darius Henderson with a nippy little striker who can get goals, even someone like Sewpa Kev, we'd piss this league.

My main source of encouragement isn't as much to do with us, but to do with the other sides. They're fucking SHITE, even Duff and Nolan are streets ahead of most in this league, I thought WBA, the bookies favourites, were hugely disappointing, and if we get to the transfer window with most of them still here, and a new striker or two, I think we'll be fine :lol:

I would agree with most of that especially the need for a nippy striker like ratboy but i do think Carrol has enough about him to be a player in this league, i thought they were petrified of him yesterday and he looked different class to Ameobi in everything he did.

From the look of things if we add 2-3 players in the right areas and lose no-one else we could do this but fully expect the owner to fuck up again

Jonas was extremely annoying today.

The guy is so unproductive it's pretty strange. Plus he was acting like a right diving cheat most of the time, the ref was spot on with pretty much every single decision involving our Argie.

Really wouldn't be upset to see him go.

I think we should get rid of him and go in for Brunt tbh.

He has 'want away' written all over him.

My main source of encouragement isn't as much to do with us, but to do with the other sides. They're fucking SHITE, even Duff and Nolan are streets ahead of most in this league, I thought WBA, the bookies favourites, were hugely disappointing, and if we get to the transfer window with most of them still here, and a new striker or two, I think we'll be fine :panic:

:lol:

Guest Stevie

My main source of encouragement isn't as much to do with us, but to do with the other sides. They're fucking SHITE, even Duff and Nolan are streets ahead of most in this league, I thought WBA, the bookies favourites, were hugely disappointing, and if we get to the transfer window with most of them still here, and a new striker or two, I think we'll be fine :panic:

:lol:

What's funny? He's not Pele, but he's the best target man in this division I would assert.

Some musings.

Krul is better than Harper that is clear already, Harper looks heavy to me. I'd give Krul a run in the side.

We had a fair bit of possession in the second half and if actually had some kind of passable striker on the pitch would have won the game. Duff pulled a lot of things together and kept it tidy and took the goal very well. He isn't a winger anymore who is going to go past two men and cross (neither is Guti). We need a little bit more pace and coverage in the side, but Barton and Guthrie should be able to give us that bit of coverage and a little decent passing (Guti can't really pass the ball and one good move per game isn't really enough for an Argie Int.).

I'm wondering now if we'd had a manager on board for a month or so and a tidy spend (7-8m) it might have been a doddle getting back up, cause WBA are one of the best sides in this league.

We need a striker.

One pacey midfielder who can go wide.

Get some money back for Collo asap.

MOM DUFF.

Don't know how obvious it was on the telly, but Smith did an class job as captain yesterday on top of his good performance. He was always encouraging the rest of the team, organising the players at set pieces, and at the end, he pulled everyone over to applaud the fans (maybe not surprisingly, the only ones who ignored him and walked off the pitch were Gutierrez, Coloccini and Enrique).

After months of Michael Owen, it made a nice change.

Newcastle show real unity to secure gritty point against West Bromwich Albion

By Henry Winter

Point proved: Newcastle players Steven Taylor (left) and Alan Smith applaud the travelling support after claiming a draw at the Hawthorns Photo: PA

Newcastle United are such a mad, unfathomable club that it is impossible to know whether the players' mature performance at the Hawthorns was rooted in a desire to begin making up for last season's humiliating relegation, to parade individual wares before the transfer deadline, or even to follow the Toon Army's demand that they "Do it for Sir Bobby''.

Against hosts who look a good bet for automatic promotion and plaudits under Roberto di Matteo's enlightened management, Newcastle fought back from some typically haphazard defending that allowed Shelton Martis to poach a close-range goal to claim a point through Damien Duff.

They could have cracked, could have hidden behind excuses such as the lack of leadership in the boardroom, where owner Mike Ashley is in Hawaii when he should be on the Ha'way front, and the departure of such luminaries as Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Obafemi Martins, Sebastian Bassong, Habib Beye and Peter Lovenkrands.

They could have pointed to the absence from the dug-out of Alan Shearer, whose name was sung loudly by the Newcastle faithful.

Yet Newcastle rallied, their defiance embodied by Tim Krul's outstanding saves, drawing on what Kevin Nolan claimed was a dressing-room unity, a spirit that some may find hard to believe in the wake of accusations that Joey Barton – who else? – confronted Fabricio Coloccini and Jonas Gutierrez in training. Barton, who was due to start, was dropped to the bench but came on to much derision from the West Brom fans.

Insisting that Newcastle were united, Nolan turned on the club's many critics. "Ever since I've come to this club I've realised a lot of people are out to get us,'' said Nolan.

"If there is anything strange or bad that happens at this club it seems to go everywhere. That doesn't happen at other clubs. Some of the things said and written have been hard to take. We've shown with this display that we have a real togetherness and a respect for Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood.''

The two coaches are good football men, working in the dark, not knowing whether other players will be sold and such was the quality of Krul's keeping that he will surely be linked with Premier League clubs. Hughton worried that any more player exits might cost Newcastle any chance of bouncing back up.

"If this squad stays together, whoever is in charge would have a good enough group to challenge for promotion,'' said Hughton, who stressed he did not see Newcastle being dragged down another division as Leeds United have been.

As well as the respect inspired by Hughton and Calderwood, Nolan added: "We also have so much respect for each other as a group of lads now. You've got to stay strong through adversity. Other people might have crumbled or tried to hide, but we haven't done that. We've been stronger than that.

"We're professional footballers and we accept we deserve a bit of flak when we don't produce, but it's about sticking together. The fans have stuck by us and they were absolutely brilliant against West Brom. The main thing is to get this club back into the Premier League where it belongs.''

Newcastle need Shearer reinstalled in the dug-out to have any chance of that.

Newcastle show real unity to secure gritty point against West Bromwich Albion

By Henry Winter

Point proved: Newcastle players Steven Taylor (left) and Alan Smith applaud the travelling support after claiming a draw at the Hawthorns Photo: PA

Newcastle United are such a mad, unfathomable club that it is impossible to know whether the players' mature performance at the Hawthorns was rooted in a desire to begin making up for last season's humiliating relegation, to parade individual wares before the transfer deadline, or even to follow the Toon Army's demand that they "Do it for Sir Bobby''.

Against hosts who look a good bet for automatic promotion and plaudits under Roberto di Matteo's enlightened management, Newcastle fought back from some typically haphazard defending that allowed Shelton Martis to poach a close-range goal to claim a point through Damien Duff.

They could have cracked, could have hidden behind excuses such as the lack of leadership in the boardroom, where owner Mike Ashley is in Hawaii when he should be on the Ha'way front, and the departure of such luminaries as Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Obafemi Martins, Sebastian Bassong, Habib Beye and Peter Lovenkrands.

They could have pointed to the absence from the dug-out of Alan Shearer, whose name was sung loudly by the Newcastle faithful.

Yet Newcastle rallied, their defiance embodied by Tim Krul's outstanding saves, drawing on what Kevin Nolan claimed was a dressing-room unity, a spirit that some may find hard to believe in the wake of accusations that Joey Barton – who else? – confronted Fabricio Coloccini and Jonas Gutierrez in training. Barton, who was due to start, was dropped to the bench but came on to much derision from the West Brom fans.

Insisting that Newcastle were united, Nolan turned on the club's many critics. "Ever since I've come to this club I've realised a lot of people are out to get us,'' said Nolan.

"If there is anything strange or bad that happens at this club it seems to go everywhere. That doesn't happen at other clubs. Some of the things said and written have been hard to take. We've shown with this display that we have a real togetherness and a respect for Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood.''

The two coaches are good football men, working in the dark, not knowing whether other players will be sold and such was the quality of Krul's keeping that he will surely be linked with Premier League clubs. Hughton worried that any more player exits might cost Newcastle any chance of bouncing back up.

"If this squad stays together, whoever is in charge would have a good enough group to challenge for promotion,'' said Hughton, who stressed he did not see Newcastle being dragged down another division as Leeds United have been.

As well as the respect inspired by Hughton and Calderwood, Nolan added: "We also have so much respect for each other as a group of lads now. You've got to stay strong through adversity. Other people might have crumbled or tried to hide, but we haven't done that. We've been stronger than that.

"We're professional footballers and we accept we deserve a bit of flak when we don't produce, but it's about sticking together. The fans have stuck by us and they were absolutely brilliant against West Brom. The main thing is to get this club back into the Premier League where it belongs.''

Newcastle need Shearer reinstalled in the dug-out to have any chance of that.

Spot on. :lol:

Newcastle Fans Take Heart

George Caulkin

From The Hawthorns to Hawaii, a big aloha to Mike Ashley. The Newcastle United owner did not witness his club’s introduction to the Coca-Cola Championship but, contrary to the vivid nightmares of many supporters, at least his players had the courtesy to turn up. Amid the grass skirts and hair shirts, from the least promising of circumstances, a kernel of resilience was uncovered.

What Saturday demonstrated is that, on the pitch, a measure of responsibility has been grasped. This threatens to be a pivotal week at St James’ Park because there is only so long for talks to continue between Newcastle, Seymour Pierce, the investment bank charged with selling the club, and Barry Moat, the preferred bidder. Soon, an offer must be made and Ashley must decide whether to stick or twist.

Moat is due to speak to Alan Shearer, the manager-in-waiting, today, but Newcastle remain on a precipice. The alternative — a dreaded one — is that Ashley remains for another year and appoints a new manager. Given that Shearer and Ashley have not held talks since the club were relegated, he would not be favourite for the role.

It also explains why certain unemployed managers have suddenly received publicity. Derek Llambias, Newcastle’s managing director, has denied reports that Joe Kinnear could return and did the same yesterday regarding David O’Leary’s candidacy.

However, there was heart to be taken from the defiance on Saturday. “The first game was always going to be tough,” Kevin Nolan, the midfield player, said. “All eyes were on us, not just in Newcastle, but across the country, hoping for another slip-up.”

In responding to a West Bromwich Albion side also acclimatising to relegation, players showed appetite. The attitude was personified by Tim Krul, who replaced the injured Steve Harper at half-time and produced a series of eye-grabbing saves. Harper, kicked in the head during the mêlée that preceded Shelton Martis’s tap-in, was taken to hospital for a scan but will be fit to face Reading this weekend.

Damien Duff scored an equaliser that, in terms of possession if not chances, was merited. Will it mean anything? Over to the Big Kahuna . . .

It also explains why certain unemployed managers have suddenly received publicity. Derek Llambias, Newcastle’s managing director, has denied reports that Joe Kinnear could return and did the same yesterday regarding David O’Leary’s candidacy.

well at least that is a bit of good news!

Good result and a canny performance to boot. Still, even if they're no more players moving on I'm still extremely worried about the lack of options when injuries inevitably kick in. We already had a small squad and about half a dozen have left. 46 league games is a long season.

Good result and a canny performance to boot. Still, even if they're no more players moving on I'm still extremely worried about the lack of options when injuries inevitably kick in. We already had a small squad and about half a dozen have left. 46 league games is a long season.

Yeah - Saturday's team wasn't that bad but that plus Barton and Geremi (for a few games) is about it before its kids galore.