Sol Campbell?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're crying out for a big, strong CB imo, whether Taylor goes or not.

Would have been great to have Taylor and Campbell together - still maintain if Roeder hadn't been such a fuckwit we would have won the uefa that year if he had signed Campbell when he wanted to come.

I don't think deteriating pace should be too much of an issue in this league either

Aye, bad mistake as it turned out and I was fairly disappointed at the time. Would have been a great influence on the likes of Taylor and Bramble.

Hopefully Taylor wont go. Could be a good pairing??? Taylor Campbell. Be nice if he came in an Collo left

I get the impression Taylor has gone.

Hopefully Taylor wont go. Could be a good pairing??? Taylor Campbell. Be nice if he came in an Collo left

I get the impression Taylor has gone.

I really hope not. Although dodgy at times he is still the best we got.

Yeah, a lot of things pointing to Taylor being on his way. Plus a number of clubs chasing him which will make offers hard for him and the club to turn down.

As for Sol, someone we should have went for a long time ago and I would still like to see him now, even moving to a coaching role long term.

stands to reason that if we get good money for him, we'd rather urgently need to re-invest in a like for like replacement... the only problem with a campbell collocini rearguard is it has no pace at all.... and both are prone to errors. not that taylor wasn't btw...

So he was at the game claiming he was going to sign and now has bought house in the area...pretty much confirmed??

That article is dated June so it's not a new development but it all makes sense.

Sol Campbell says he'd love to sign for Toon

Aug 17 2009

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Sol Campbell

SOL CAMPBELL told corporate guests at Newcastle United’s home encounter with Reading that he would “love to sign” for the Magpies.

The former World Cup star and Arsenal ace took in the game from the United executive area on Saturday night, and the Chronicle understands that Newcastle are interested in signing the free agent, and he will hold talks today on a move to St James’s.

The 34-year-old is engaged to Geordie Fiona Barrett, and they have bought Hallington Hall in Northumberland, meaning that a switch to St James’s Park would make geographical sense, especially at this stage of his career.

Campbell said: “I would love to sign here if it’s possible.

“But we’ll have to wait and see.”

Campbell’s wages appear to be the only stumbling block for United, but under-pressure Mike Ashley may sanction the move given that Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Oba Martins, Sebastien Bassong and Habib Beye are all off a wage bill that has been slashed from £74m to £48m since the Toon were relegated.

Hull City are also in the hunt for Campbell, but it would be a major coup for United if they can pull this one off, given that the centre-back has lifted trophies with Spurs, Arsenal and Portsmouth, and has known nothing but a winning mentality throughout his career.

Steven Taylor was also linked again over the weekend with Everton, who were crushed 6-1 on Saturday night by Arsenal.

Taylor stayed on the field even longer than usual when showing his support for the Toon crowd, with many fans concerned he was saying goodbye.

Caretaker boss Chris Hughton told the Chronicle today: “I would like to think anybody who showed emotion at the end of the game was doing so because we have won and won so well.”

Hughton confirmed that Manchester United loan signing Danny Simpson will make his debut against Sheffield Wednesday on Wednesday night at St James’s.

If it comes off I think it will be an excellent signing, yes he may not have the legs anymore. But he's a very intelligent bloke and his experience will be invaluable. Especially if Taylor stays, as well as for the likes of Kadar too. He would be a good role model both on an off the pitch for our younger players and seems the type who would willingly stay behind/put in that bit of extra effort to help out the young lads too. A top calibre centre half in his time and one of the best England has had over the last couple of decades, can't remember him ever letting this country down, or if he did it was very rare.

Also think this move for Sol wouldn't be about the money as we could only afford to pay him a fraction of what he was on at Pompey but more about him being happy in life itself, which is something he has always valued, especially after the death of his father. What with him buying that estate in Northumberland, it does make sense if he wants to wind down his career with his girlfriend and live in comfort in lovely Northumberland. Would be a shrewd signing by whoever is making the decisions. I just hope it comes off, such a shame Roeder never thought that when we could have got him originally.

If it comes off I think it will be an excellent signing, yes he may not have the legs anymore. But he's a very intelligent bloke and his experience will be invaluable. Especially if Taylor stays, as well as for the likes of Kadar too. He would be a good role model both on an off the pitch for our younger players and seems the type who would willingly stay behind/put in that bit of extra effort to help out the young lads too. A top calibre centre half in his time and one of the best England has had over the last couple of decades, can't remember him ever letting this country down, or if he did it was very rare.

Also think this move for Sol wouldn't be about the money as we could only afford to pay him a fraction of what he was on at Pompey but more about him being happy in life itself, which is something he has always valued, especially after the death of his father. What with him buying that estate in Northumberland, it does make sense if he wants to wind down his career with his girlfriend and live in comfort in lovely Northumberland. Would be a shrewd signing by whoever is making the decisions. I just hope it comes off, such a shame Roeder never thought that when we could have got him originally.

you really think Ashley will sanction a move for a 34 year old with no resale value who will command at least £30k per week - I DON'T !!!!

Just had a fucking horrible thought...

Campell likes to wear #23, right?? What price Shola screaming to be given #9 so that he can give his shirt to Sol?

Is that a written law though or is it just common belief? I seem to remember Ferdinand doing a few pre-season matches wearing #9 in '96 before a certain sheet metal worker's son turned up...

i honestly couldn't care less if shola is given the number 9. it's not that sacred in my eyes. if martins can wear it, why not shola? he's a local lad, we're unlikely to sign another front line forward if the takeover doesn't go through and who knows, wearing the number 9 shirt might inspire him. knowing he is the main striker at the club might inspire more performances like saturday.

christ. i just re-read that final sentence. clutching at straws? or.....

Is that a written law though or is it just common belief? I seem to remember Ferdinand doing a few pre-season matches wearing #9 in '96 before a certain sheet metal worker's son turned up...

That's the thing, it was pre-season, then didn't Shearer via Keegan ask Ferdinand for the no.9 shirt which to his credit Sir Les gave up for the season proper.