The Labour Leadership Campaign

Christmas Tree

Never had you down as a Wall Street Journal subscriber, I have to admit. You learn something new every day.

I'm willing to bet CT is unaware who the owner of the WSJ is, and why a leader article in said publication is about as impartial as the rest of the fuckin old cunt's titles :lol:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say I am not particularly well read on the subject but I am labour member and will be voting for Corbyn.

I believe strongly in unions and workers rights. I also want a labour party that is offering a left wing alternative to the middle/right rather than pandering to it.

3701.jpg

Oh Christmas Tree!
Oh Christmas Tree!
You are a dunce,
Po-lit-ically!
Oh Christmas Tree!
Oh Christmas Tree!
Your views are ever changing!
Much laughter thou has given me
Much pleasure thou can'st give to me;
How often has the Christmas tree
Paid a thought to his poor Budgie?
O Christmas Tree! O Christmas Tree!
Your Budgies now in Heaven!

The extra 2 million in work?

The elderly given a decent pension?

Council tax frozen for all?

Extra child care for families?

Millions given a tax cut?

Millions taken out of paying tax all together?

Millions more apprenticeships?

No illegal wars?

Aye ;)

If, as I presume is the case, you think the cuts and the austerity measures are necessary, why do you think income tax cuts for everyone are a good idea and how does those two competing views marry up?

He's an idiot Osborne, like. Selling at their lowest 2015 value in a week when they've just posted disappointing H1 results. It's like The Thick of It.

Following 'advice'. And not only that but can the public buy the shares at this low price? You know, the people who technically bought them anyway. Oh no. They were just for the City on this occasion.

If, as I presume is the case, you think the cuts and the austerity measures are necessary, why do you think income tax cuts for everyone are a good idea and how does those two competing views marry up?

Because wages are what we work for, it's our money and conservatives usually believe in low taxes.

It boils down to whether you believe in a large state (left) or a small state (right).

This is why I asked the question yesterday whether there was a European example of a left wing successful government. (Ie one that managed to do all the nice left wing stuff that real Labour would love to, but had also managed to combine that with a pro business successful economy).

Because wages are what we work for, it's our money and conservatives usually believe in low taxes.

It boils down to whether you believe in a large state (left) or a small state (right).

This is why I asked the question yesterday whether there was a European example of a left wing successful government. (Ie one that managed to do all the nice left wing stuff that real Labour would love to, but had also managed to combine that with a pro business successful economy).

Bit daft to just argue income tax should be low irrespective of the consequences. Almost as daft as arguing the economy is successful and the cuts and austerity are working at the same time as the gross national debt spiraling out of control and at level which is almost double what it was when Labour were last in power. You heavily criticised Labour for overspending on public services yet you're not doing the same to a government which has actually borrowed (and is continue to borrow) much more whilst at the same time using some of that money to fund tax cuts. Why the approval of this short-termism from this government?

2 million more jobs, cuts and austerity well in place yet public borrowing continues to increase in monetary terms and as a %-age of GDP. Something doesn't add up.

Bit daft to just argue income tax should be low irrespective of the consequences. Almost as daft as arguing the economy is successful and the cuts and austerity are working at the same time as the gross national debt spiraling out of control and at level which is almost double what it was when Labour were last in power. You heavily criticised Labour for overspending on public services yet you're not doing the same to a government which has actually borrowed (and is continue to borrow) much more whilst at the same time using some of that money to fund tax cuts. Why the approval of this short-termism from this government?

I'm sure you know it's not as simplistic as you make out. There has to be a balance otherwise taxes would be banged up and the economy would stall.

Likewise it's hard to compare borrowing between two very different financial climates and also allowing for inflation.

Labour inherited a very good economy and governed for the most part while the world economy was glowing. Borrowing in the aftermath of the crash is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Still no one has answered my question ;)

I'm sure most voters (me included) would jump at a left wing party that delivered everything. That is the challenge / holy grail that it needs to discover if it wants to govern again.

I personally can't see how that is achieved other than having a centralist party running a small state.

I'm sure you know it's not as simplistic as you make out. There has to be a balance otherwise taxes would be banged up and the economy would stall.

Likewise it's hard to compare borrowing between two very different financial climates and also allowing for inflation.

Labour inherited a very good economy and governed for the most part while the world economy was glowing. Borrowing in the aftermath of the crash is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Still no one has answered my question ;)

I'm sure most voters (me included) would jump at a left wing party that delivered everything. That is the challenge / holy grail that it needs to discover if it wants to govern again.

I personally can't see how that is achieved other than having a centralist party running a small state.

I still don't know why Labour don't try to defend their spending on schools etc? (How many new/completely refurbished ones are there? Can't think of one school round our way that isn't new). The crash happened, the Tories see this as a golden opportunity to implement their philosophy and nobody seems to give them a hard time on their own record including the scared centre labour politicians for fear of getting on the wrong side of the likes of CT's midland/Southern counterparts who are spoonfed propaganda from a Tory compliant media.

I still don't know why Labour don't try to defend their spending on schools etc? (How many new/completely refurbished ones are there? Can't think of one school round our way that isn't new). The crash happened, the Tories see this as a golden opportunity to implement their philosophy and nobody seems to give them a hard time on their own record including the scared centre labour politicians for fear of getting on the wrong side of the likes of CT's midland/Southern counterparts who are spoonfed propaganda from a Tory compliant media.

Because they were built with PFI which was a complete and utter fuck up which means most councils are in debt up to their eyes on schools they no longer own.

Probably because they put a lot of these into place by ludicrous PFI schemes which have crippled governments with horrific debts and contracts ever since.

They could have borrowed the money themselves at much better rates but instead chose this horrific easy option.

I did. You just don't like my answer.

What about my question? (No surprise there either I guess) ;)

The difference between a real world scenario and an imaginary one lost on no one but you.

Whatever :lol:

Off and sharpen those nails now ;)

You always resort to this sort of thing when you can't answer a straightforward question.