Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What is it about the purchase of 3 defenders and the sale of our most prolific striker during this window that gives you this impression? ;)

Aye exactly. Under Keegan it was 'we'll score more than you', Pardew seems to aiming for 'we'll concede less than you'. One approach has more scope for victory.

I read somewhere that Gouffran is Ba's replacement. So we may well have done our business this week.

I'm reluctant to criticise Pardew too much based on the evidence of the last two years.

Last year the team exceeded our expectations, this year its been the opposite. I'd say you have to take both with a pinch of salt - last year we were fortunate to have pretty good luck with injuries, given the small squad we had, and then a striker who hit the form of his life for the last third of the season. Pardew however has to take a good deal of credit for that success too - we were undoubtedly well organised, kept a good shape without the ball and utilised what attacking options we had well. For the most part it wasn't pretty but it was perfect for us in our situation.

This season I think its fair to say there's been some mitigating circumstances. Having the Ba thing and now Colo can't have been easy - managers authority isn't what it used to be, these "multi-million pound asset" players are holding all the cards. I can't imagine Pardew had much of a say in Ba's buy-out clause for example (surely he would have been against it), and he is on a hiding to nowt now with his most important player, Colocinni. Clearly Pardew also has take a good deal of the blame for whats happened this season, but to say the buck stops with him just because he is the manager is too simplistic. Chelsea have continually shown that even the very best managers can find it impossible to work under the new breed of megalomoniac multi-billionaire owners, with multi-millionaire spoilt brat players. I'm not saying Ashley is the same as Abamovich and the City lot by the way, but its clear that he and Dekka are really the ones calling the shots. Football club owners have been clueless as long as I can remember but it does seem that managers authority often isn't what it was.

We can say that Pardew should do the principalled (sp?) thing and stand up to them/walk like KK - you couldn't really blame him, but where would that leave us? With Joe Kinnear?

The only thing to do with Pardew at the minute is support him. I think he's a decent manager and whatever you think about him as a bloke, he does seem to be a commited, motivated professional (unlike charlatans such as Gullit and Souness for example). Looks like Ashley is backing him in this window, so it doesn't look like sacking him is in the immediate plans anyway. You never know, this new lot of Frenchies could be class and we might just finish strongly and set us up to have a fresh bash next season.

Dean Ashton gave an interview a fortnight ago where he we asked where Pardew went wrong at West Ham. He said he was too pally with the players and lost the discipline in the dressing room. Ironic when you recall the reasons giving for sacking Hughton

Had a feeling quotes like this would surface:

"I saw a headline saying Arsenal are flying the flag for Britain. I kind of wondered where that British involvement actually was when I looked at their team.

"It's important that top clubs don't lose sight of the fact that it's the English Premier League and English players should be involved. Foreign players have been fantastic. We have learned from them and from foreign coaches.

"But, to some extent, we could lose the soul of British football - the English player." - Pardew [2006]

If anything Pardew has less control over the nationality of players in this league than he did when he said that.

Not to mention the ridiculous cost of buying home grown (or born even).

Edited by Toonpack

ALAN Pardew knows the onus is now on him to deliver the results to drag Newcastle United out of trouble after the Magpies’ board backed him heavily in the transfer market.

Pardew could hand debuts to three of his new arrivals at Villa Park and confirmed Moussa Sissoko – whose signing had “excited” the United boss the most of all his Gallic recruits – will definitely start in a match of crucial importance to the relegation dog fight.

Their arrivals have transformed the mood at St James’ Park and given Pardew the sort of squad options that he has been missing all season.

It has also put pressure on him to mould the quality arrivals into a team to finish the season with a flourish.

Pardew paid tribute to Mike Ashley for backing up his long-term vision and also for accelerating moves for Moussa Sissoko and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, confirming that both of those moves have required the owner to shell out significantly more than if they had proceeded in January as planned.

With that expenditure comes responsibility.

“We really don’t have too much to moan about,” Pardew said.

“Without doubt I’m happier now and I think the players will be too, more importantly. My position is taking responsibility for the team and taking the pressure and I’ve got no problem with that.

“But if you’re a player and you’re suddenly walking out with the group we’ve got now and you look round at the bench, you’d have to say you feel a lot more confident.

“I won’t be making too many excuses for them. Now, we’re all accountable for what happens on that pitch and we need to take that into every game.”

Pardew is ready to hand out a slew of debuts and all four new arrivals travelled with the squad to Birmingham. He says a big part of his job now is ensuring the players “gel” as quickly as possible, and has hinted that some may need to be given time.

“Sometimes the style of the player is significant, I think.

“With someone like Hatem who is a player that has moments, I think they’re difficult to gel. I think defenders sometimes find it difficult to understand the Premier League because there are a lot of complexities to positioning and the speed of the game and the speed of attacks, specifically compared to Ligue 1 in France.

“But there are some players that you just know are at the level and are going to hit the ground running and I don’t envisage Sissoko having a problem in this division or settling in quickly.” Pardew paid a fulsome tribute to Ashley, and admitted that his presence at the Reading game was “significant” for United.

“I think the signings have shown he is committed to the club,” he said.

“Because you don’t sign players at that age if you’re not committed to the club. If it was a short-term option he probably would have given me the signal to go and buy some older players to make sure we stayed in the division.

“If they were any good next year, it wouldn’t really matter, if you had that kind of vision. His vision is much more long-term than that. And that’s why we’ve bought the players we have.

“That didn’t happen because of the Reading game. All those players were well, well, well in the system and most of them well along the road to being finalised before the window. But we’ve accelerated certainly one of those from this summer and certainly one of those a week ahead of schedule. So it might have cost Mike more money, but we needed to do it.”

There is one bit of negative news, however. Hatem Ben Arfa remains at least two weeks away from a return.

Pardew explained: “I still think (Hatem) is two or three weeks away and obviously with the hamstring injury, the depth of that injury was such that we can’t take a chance with it. As much as we’d like him back, we have to make sure we’ve got him for those last 10 or 11 games, maybe 12.”

Read more: Journal Live http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2013/01/29/alan-pardew-knows-his-team-now-has-to-deliver-61634-32699909/#ixzz2JMGhY2S3

Pardew paid a fulsome tribute to Ashley, and admitted that his presence at the Reading game was “significant” for United.

Aye because he walked out as soon as their second went in. :lol:

If he ever starts Shola again I hope he breaks his fucking neck.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. He's still our 2nd proper striker. I get the impression Gouffran is more a Marveaux/Ben Arfa type of player. I'm still crossing my fingers that we buy another striker because we are one injury to Cisse away from drawing every game 0-0 for the rest of the season

I wouldn't get your hopes up. He's still our 2nd proper striker. I get the impression Gouffran is more a Marveaux/Ben Arfa type of player. I'm still crossing my fingers that we buy another striker because we are one injury to Cisse away from drawing every game 0-0 for the rest of the season

Gouffran isn't a Ben Arfa/Marveaux type player.

Tooj is the resident French expert dont forget

You can't resort to making posts without having any sort of sly digs at people can you?

Yes I watch quite a bit of Ligue 1 as I have mentioned on here due to me being off work due to some really bad health issues I'm trying to fill my days up as best as possible. So there's no need for the digs all of the time is there? :up:

You can't resort to making posts without having any sort of sly digs at people can you?

Yes I watch quite a bit of Ligue 1 as I have mentioned on here due to me being off work due to some really bad health issues I'm trying to fill my days up as best as possible. So there's no need for the digs all of the time is there? :up:

I went off Ligue 1 football. Eredivisie is much better imo.