Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.theguardian.com/football/quiz/2013/oct/29/are-you-a-football-hipster

I think i’ve been scuppered by my love of Italian football and not wanting to buy/pick anything English obviously.

You scored 39 out of a possible 60

Close but no cigar – YOU'RE A BIT OF A HIPSTER! You love a bit of tactical talk and wear your 1991-92 St Pauli away shirt with pride, but deep down there's part of you who prefers a cavorting mess of a 4-3 to a well-disciplined 0-0. You heathen, you. Still, you're well on your way to zen-like hipsterdom

40/60 for me, same text

8) "Away!"

Loosely translated as "Now look here, team-mate, I neither want nor trust you to play your way out of trouble. Please dispose of the ball as quickly and as far away as possible." Failure to do as directed leaves one open to castigation for "fucking about with it there," but this may be permitted if the player is in possession of a sufficient amount of...

I do this all the time when playing, including every corner we defend at the match. No just at the match either, on the settee, in the pub etc.

Heard and shouted every single one of those :lol:

Our team got demolished by the manager. He pays £1500 a season for a posh pitch and has started pinching all the best players around the county in his quest to be the new Hetton Lyons. There's only 3-4 lads left from the team I played in 2 seasons ago :(

You scored 39 out of a possible 60

Close but no cigar YOU'RE A BIT OF A HIPSTER! You love a bit of tactical talk and wear your 1991-92 St Pauli away shirt with pride, but deep down there's part of you who prefers a cavorting mess of a 4-3 to a well-disciplined 0-0. You heathen, you. Still, you're well on your way to zen-like hipsterdom

http://www.soccerissue.com/2013/11/04/swansea-are-the-real-winners/

Swansea had a weekend of mixed news. Before losing the first ever Premier League Welsh Derby, the club announced record £15.8m profits for the ­previous year. Before that, the club’s under 18 team scored a wonderful team goal that went viral.

My feeling is that despite the loss at Cardiff, the U-18′s superb 32-pass move against Leeds United showed that the future of Swansea City A.F.C is pretty much secured as a top flight team. With a clear footballing, philosophy, a robust wage structure (wages represent close to 50% of turnover, which is way below the Premier League average of 72%) and £30m profit over two years (that was invested in the club’s academy and training ground) – Swansea City is one of the finest football institutions in Britain.

A testament of the club’s good work could be seen in the local university, which has benefited from a surge in interest since Swansea City was promoted to the Premier League in 2011. Even the local community has been boosted by the club’s premier league status.

All this was done without the help of a billionaire owner. A group of nine owners, including the Swansea City Supporters’ Trust, put in £50,000 each in 2002 to buy the club and save it from its grimmest crisis. A philosophy was installed at the club and helped to decide on a shrewd player recruitment strategy. ‘When we were in League One we didn’t have the money to compete with Leeds and Nottingham Forest,’ said Huw Jenkins, the club’s local chairmen (and a supporter of the team from the age of 4). ‘They could buy the best players so we needed a different way. That was passing players. The style worked for us,’ said Jenkins. ‘We choose managers who fit that mould, which in turn means we don’t have to go to huge expense by signing a different type of player every time we change manager.”

There will be difficult time ahead, that’s a given in today’s world. However, the supporters of Swansea can feel safe enough to say that their club will be there for them tomorrow. They can be proud of its sporting and financial results but even more proud at the unique way it is managed: The clubs foundations are solid. It is part of their community and reflects its values and principles.

Meanwhile at Cardiff, the team might have won the first Welsh derby in the Premier League, but the club is a hostage of ”eccentric owner”, Vincent Tan. He ended 100 years of tradition by changing their kit from blue to red; He fired Iain Moody, director of recruitment and appointed Alisher Apsalyamov, a 23-year-old family friend. According to reports, Tan has a new habit during games: He tries to pass on instructions to manager Malky Mackay. He also signed Etien Velikonja, a Slovenian forward, over Mackay’s head. Why? Nobody really knows.

Cardiff is dependent on an eccentric billionaire who sees the club as a toy. He could fly off tomorrow and leave huge debt behind him. He is not a fan of the club. The ground is shaking beneath the club’s feet despite their owner’s vast wealth.

Cardiff might have won bragging rights this weekend but the Swansea’s fans can proud of their club while Cardiff’s supporters can expect more embarrassment from “their owner”. So who is the winner here?

lol twitter had a load of Swansea fans calling for laudrup to be hoofed, "no tactics" and such

unreal the nerve on these lads for such a pissant club and where he's got them to, i'd have Laudrup here in a heartbeat.

Swansea, Cardiff, Crystal Palce, Hull and Stoke are overachieving being in the Premier League let alone having two seasons that Swansea have just had. Ungrateful twats. To think we get slagged for having a go at Pardew who has lost 6-0 at home and twice to the mackems in the last 6 month.

Hey everyone - I'm meeting Gerard Houllier today as he's coming into my office - not sure if I'll have time to properly chat with him but if you guys have any questions you'd want to ask I might be able to get one in!

Hey everyone - I'm meeting Gerard Houllier today as he's coming into my office - not sure if I'll have time to properly chat with him but if you guys have any questions you'd want to ask I might be able to get one in!

Ask him if he fancies a sucking you off while you finger his bumhole

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/10483

Manchester United manager David Moyes knows he will be asked about Shinji Kagawa in every single news conference. He is more responsive to the questions than Sir Alex Ferguson once was, even if he is less sure about the player.

United are followed by a committed group of Japanese media wherever they play or train. Kagawa's predecessors received similar treatment. Kazuyoshi Miura's 1994-95 season in Serie A saw Japanese journalists and photographers swamp Genoa, before Hidetoshi Nakata played for Perugia, Parma, Bologna and Fiorentina and was followed everywhere he went. Nakata was milked by his Italian clubs as a cash cow, but was a good enough player to merit all the fuss. His coterie of dedicated correspondents ended up following him to Bolton.

Having joined in the summer of 2001, Junichi Inamoto did not play a single league match for Arsenal in a year but Arsene Wenger, a Japanese speaker, spent a season answering questions about the midfielder. Such slim pickings were devoured until Inamoto joined Fulham and then West Brom, where the Black Country became an unlikely destination for Japanese journalists.

Kagawa and Manchester United looked a dream combination. United's commercial department had a fresh Asian frontier to conquer after the bonanza that having Park Ji-Sung in the ranks brought them in South Korea. Kagawa came with a lofty reputation. On the eve of Euro 2012's final, your correspondent was told by a group of German fans, in Kiev after travelling there in overconfidence, that the best player in the Bundesliga that previous season had been Kagawa.

"When he signed for United, there was a great sense of pride in Japan that one of their players had joined one of the biggest clubs in the world," says Andrew McKirdy of the Japan Times, an English-language newspaper in Tokyo. "But there was also a bit of apprehension about whether he would play much."

That apprehension is growing. The first season saw glimpses, particularly so in a hat trick against Norwich that showed off the change of pace and finishing skills that made him such an idol at Borussia Dortmund. Kagawa was trusted by Ferguson to start away to Real Madrid on the left side of a midfield diamond but was only rarely granted the central position to allow him to make the incisive, late runs that are his potent weapon.

Dortmund boss Juergen Klopp told The Guardian in May: "He now plays 20 minutes at Manchester United -- on the left wing! My heart breaks. Really, I have tears in my eyes."

Moyes has less enthusiasm for Kagawa than Klopp or Ferguson but the player had been a victim of circumstance. A late return from the Confederations Cup in the summer stopped him having a proper preseason. Playing 28 minutes at Yokohama Marinos fulfilled a commercial clause rather than any proper preparation plan.

When Kagawa was left out of Moyes' matchday squad for the opening home game against Chelsea, rumblings began. The Moyes doubters had their sacred cow. That a Manchester United manager would ignore such a player was proof of unsuitability. The intermittent flashes of genius were enough to convince that Kagawa should be a key player. However, Wayne Rooney occupies the role that the Kagawa supporters want for their man, to mirror what happens at international level.

"Kagawa isn't the main man in Japan's national team and never has been," McKirdy says. "Keisuke Honda is the star of the team, and the one who plays in the middle and shunts Kagawa out to the left. The reason is that Honda is a much more physical presence, and he's a real handful for defenders to deal with."

Honda's Tuesday appearance at Manchester City with CSKA Moscow brought with it a similarly large Japanese press pack to that which follows Kagawa.

On the same night, Kagawa played at Real Sociedad, starting on the left wing, before Ashley Young's arrival pushed him behind Robin van Persie in the position his admirers say is rightfully his. United became more productive, as they had when Kagawa moved into the same position against Sociedad a fortnight previously. Javier Hernandez inexplicably missed the golden chance Kagawa had expertly supplied him.

Moyes has slowly gathered an appreciation of Kagawa's potential in a central role but there remain doubts over his ability to impose himself on games. There are far too many moments where the flicks do not come off, and an opponent's strength shakes him from the ball.

While Rooney continues to occupy the central role, Adnan Januzaj's surge to prominence has made a left-hand role far less of a certainty, even in the light of Nani and Young's fading cachet. Januzaj's future surely lies in the centre and, at 18, he already exhibits a physical and moral courage that Kagawa is yet to reveal. Januzaj is a shoo-in to start against Arsenal on Sunday. The selection of Kagawa would display risk-taking values that Moyes has not yet personified at United.

That caution is fully understandable. Kagawa has not shown off nearly enough for a team as ambitious United to be built around, in the fashion that Argentina, Boca Juniors and Villarreal once did for Juan Roman Riquelme, or Southampton for Matthew Le Tissier.

It all leaves Kagawa's long-term future open to question. Weekend rumours had him wanting out in January to win a World Cup place -- his international form has been suffering too. A return to Dortmund is mooted, but they have moved on. Henrikh Mkhitaryan has been hugely impressive in what was once Kagawa's position.

"I had an easier time playing as a shadow top [No. 10] than I did on the left wing," Kagawa told his dedicated reporters in San Sebastian after Tuesday's 0-0 draw with La Real. "I need to be more involved in the match and I hope I can do so in our upcoming fixtures. I want to play better, sharper and faster."

Moyes and United need that, too. Brief flashes are not enough. Kagawa must adapt to prosper, or his future, and that of his personal press corps, lay elsewhere.

absolutely buzzing rigjt now.' my local just won its 1irst ever home match in the playoff. qnd it was agaimst the scum up north.. my voice is wrecked my daughter will have a story tp tell for years tocome no more whiskey for me tonight time to opem meself a bottle of porter and try to ro.l a honey dipped blunt. we shipped 5 goals passed those bastards Kings of Cascadia indeed we are. Portland we love you so and wherever you go we will follow uuf where is my tunes?

absolutely buzzing rigjt now.' my local just won its 1irst ever home match in the playoff. qnd it was agaimst the scum up north.. my voice is wrecked my daughter will have a story tp tell for years tocome no more whiskey for me tonight time to opem meself a bottle of porter and try to ro.l a honey dipped blunt. we shipped 5 goals passed those bastards Kings of Cascadia indeed we are. Portland we love you so and wherever you go we will follow uuf where is my tunes?

:lol: