Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

I think there have been a lot of factors in any 'decline' and obviously the daft investment at Chelsea and Man City have been important, as well as perhaps relying on & trusting youth a bit too much. Either way I think he's worth a lot more than the treatment he's getting after every bad result - it's completely over the top & often unfounded in the grand scheme of things.

I really hope they have a good amount of years without a trophy, see what happens to the Arsenal TV lads.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there have been a lot of factors in any 'decline' and obviously the daft investment at Chelsea and Man City have been important, as well as perhaps relying on & trusting youth a bit too much. Either way I think he's worth a lot more than the treatment he's getting after every bad result - it's completely over the top & often unfounded in the grand scheme of things.

I really hope they have a good amount of years without a trophy, see what happens to the Arsenal TV lads.

Oh, I totally agree with you there, mate. I just think he's lost the plot about what a winning side takes. The daft thing is people say he won't chnsge his philosophy but the apparent obsession with pure, aesthetic football is relatively recent as his really successful sides were as much about pace and power (and a nasty edge) as they were about finesse.

Aye :lol:

As soon as he came in he had them on the creatine & proper diets etc. There were proper rough sides - I suppose for every bruiser like Viera there was a Pires or an Henry but overall they'd be closer to Chelsea in physique/power than Barcelona etc.

I think he's started to spend recently - which he always did - but never at the same level as other clubs. Looks as if they've capped 'star' player signings at about £40m - Suarez (the attempt), Ozil & Sanchez were all about that.

I'm not sure they'd ever be able to challenge for the title as it stands mind - I think the financial power of other clubs would still hold them back.

I dunno, the league seems to be opening up... remember that Liverpool almost won the league last year. Arsenal certainly could do it.

I think the influence of the financial clout of teams like City and Chelsea will diminish actually. Sure they can keep buying all the best players but look at Southampton. They had all their best players bought over the summer save for Schneiderlin, and it's not held them back at all. The elite clubs can't keep buying all of these players, they don't have space in their squads. Well built teams will eventually trump them, I think.

Edited by Rayvin

Wenger losing all sight of what makes a successful Premier League team is what makes them so entertaining. I think his side is crying out for a Cabaye (Debuchy's obsession aside) because for all the possession they have, there's no one who can sit deep and dictate the tempo and then let the likes of Ramsey, Sanchez and whoever else make the chances. I'd love to think they're being left behind when it comes to Southampton, Spurs etc but Wenger will wrangle a top 4 finish out of nowhere,

His inability or unwillingness to adapt his team and tactics according to circumstances has gotten took a few of their fans.

Football has changed a lot over the last decade or so. It is a bit mystifying how a good a coach as Wenger had failed to realise this.

Mind they did win the cup last year so.. :lol:

What - tactically - has he failed to adapt to?

How he every time goes gung ho against the big teams that are technically and physically better than them for instance? Their record against the rest of the teams in the top 5 isnt that impressive in recent years is it?

Saw Solano at the match v Burnley btw. He's back at the club doing corporate hospitality - he was all suited and booted following Bob Moncur around like the new boy at school.

So when you see him in the Chronicle soon doing interviews about what a great job Ashley is doing, you'll know why...