Religion headed toward extinction

Happy Face

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my eldest was moving to her primary school they did an information evening running through necessary matters and it was mentioned by the head that the only lesson the school has to provide by law is RE.

Queue the massive fucking debate over which religions people want their kids to learn about and which they didn't. I kept quiet and a straight face until one piped up and asked if they'd stick 'Humanism' on the curriculum. :jesuswept:

Why the Jesus wept there Craig? It's about the only one I'd want on the curriculum, as its the only one that basically says religion is a load of bollocks?

Ahh re-reading it i've not written it very well, sorry mate. The jesus wept was aimed at the the farcical nature of them having a fucking argument (argument, not a debate) over which religions they did and did not want included under the umbrella of RE.

It's primary education for fuck's sake, it's generic and we should be giving kids an insight into them all.

Funny how you never hear of extreme Athiests running around bombing shit.

Hey Ho.

Hitler was an atheist.

Just goes to prove, religion is good.

:jesuswept:

Hey Ho.

Hitler was an atheist.

Oh no he wasn't!

Stalin was though, but he never murdered in the name of atheism.

Hey Ho.

Hitler was an atheist.

Oh no he wasn't!

What was he then?

A devious politician leading a nominally Christian country like 1930s Germany will say lots of Christian-sounding stuff to maintain popularity.

His early stuff, is pro-christian. Once he is trashing most of Europe he openly despised Christianity. This may not mean he was an atheist, but non-religious at least, unless he was a secret Muslim.

I'll do pantomime with you if you want though.

It's behind you!

A study using census data from nine countries shows that religion there is set for extinction, say researchers.

The study found a steady rise in those claiming no religious affiliation.

The team's mathematical model attempts to account for the interplay between the number of religious respondents and the social motives behind being one.

The result, reported at the American Physical Society meeting in Dallas, US, indicates that religion will all but die out altogether in those countries.

Nonlinear dynamics is invoked to explain a wide range of physical phenomena in which a number of factors play a part.

One of the team, Daniel Abrams of Northwestern University, put forth a similar model in 2003 to put a numerical basis behind the decline of lesser-spoken world languages.

At its heart is the competition between speakers of different languages, and the "utility" of speaking one instead of another.

"The idea is pretty simple," said Richard Wiener of the Research Corporation for Science Advancement.

"It posits that social groups that have more members are going to be more attractive to join, and it posits that social groups have a social status or utility.

"For example in languages, there can be greater utility or status in speaking Spanish instead of [the dying language] Quechuan in Peru, and similarly there's some kind of status or utility in being a member of a religion or not."

The team took census data stretching back as far as a century from countries in which the census queried religious affiliation: Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Switzerland.

Some of the census data the team used date from the 19th century

"In a large number of modern secular democracies, there's been a trend that folk are identifying themselves as non-affiliated with religion; in the Netherlands the number was 40%, and the highest we saw was in the Czech Republic, where the number was 60%," Dr Wiener said.

The team then applied their nonlinear dynamics model, adjusting parameters for the relative social and utilitarian merits of membership of the "non-religious" category.

They found, in a study published online, that those parameters were similar across all the countries studied, suggesting that similar behaviour drives the mathematics in all of them.

And in all the countries, the indications were that religion was headed toward extinction.

"I think it's a suggestive result," Dr Wiener said.

"It's interesting that a fairly simple model captures the data, and if those simple ideas are correct, it suggests where this might be going.

"Obviously much more complicated things are going on with any one individual, but maybe a lot of that averages out."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12811197

New religion is already here.

Well, it doesn't have to massively infringe on your life to close your eyes to it ?????????????? That just smacks of the "I'm alright Jack" attitude. I really find it hard to see why, after all these sort of debates, and every time the attention is drawn to just one instance of terrorism, violence or pandering to muslims for anything at all because we are afraid of offending the poor dears and so put their feelings and interests first, is one too many.

Did anyone really notice or care about the Muslim population of the UK until the gulf war/July the Seventh? I can only remember a few people saying things like why can't the West Indian immigrants be more like the Asians as the former were seen as more of a problem. I guess that';s now reversed which is obviously a shame but I think you let the terrorism issue cloud your opinion. You're old enough to remember how much distrust and dislike there was for the Irish in the IRA days in the 70s especially but you must realise that's pretty much gone now.

Of course being anti-religion I don't like some of the pandering as you call it but feel the same way about christian pandering - in fact its now hard to see who followed who on that one as you can't really blame people for saying "well they get special treatment so why shouldn't we". The solution is to stop special treatment for everyone.

I also think you're completely wrong about people being afraid to speak up - the Mail (I know, sorry) might tell you you can't say anything but the truth is it's perfectly possible to speak out. There's too many people who only say they can't because they're trying to make people think they can't when they can.

its been growing for a long time before july 7th and the Gulf War !!! and still growing, faster and faster.

People are afraid to speak up, and the "law" isn't helping....where is that thread on that Dutch bloke and the yank who were refused entry into the UK to voice their opinions on Islam ? I know you said you personally thought they should be allowed their freedom of speech [correct of course] but the point is the authorities denied it to them for fear of offending Islam. Doesn't that tell you something ?

Tells me you're a frightened old man, peering at the world over the top of your tabloid, believing every piece of crap they throw at you.

Give me one example where you've personally been affected by a real life Muslim.

If he does this I will buy you a Spiderman toy!

fuck it, I'll be an alibi for your next court case

Guess who this reminds me of???

B00005U2HT.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

What a depressing 5 pages.

I wonder if leazes has read the op rather than the just the headline.

Also, there seems to be a consensus that the muslim teachings are more evil than Christian, but I don't know of any Muslim embraced around the world that would bring in pope size crowds in the UK who could teach some of the evil shit he does. A sin to wear a condom that will save millions of lives? Pederasty not a sin but something to sweep under the carpet? How can anyone say that's a more modern church? At least the wingnuts don't run the Muslim faith.

>“People are getting blessed, and they’re going to have healing from their hurts,” the boy told the New York Times. “I’m happy for that.”

You have faith or you don't. As with most things in life people look for alternative views, but this is a canny story, and you have to bare in mind it's from a yank.

Well, it doesn't have to massively infringe on your life to close your eyes to it ?????????????? That just smacks of the "I'm alright Jack" attitude. I really find it hard to see why, after all these sort of debates, and every time the attention is drawn to just one instance of terrorism, violence or pandering to muslims for anything at all because we are afraid of offending the poor dears and so put their feelings and interests first, is one too many.

Did anyone really notice or care about the Muslim population of the UK until the gulf war/July the Seventh? I can only remember a few people saying things like why can't the West Indian immigrants be more like the Asians as the former were seen as more of a problem. I guess that';s now reversed which is obviously a shame but I think you let the terrorism issue cloud your opinion. You're old enough to remember how much distrust and dislike there was for the Irish in the IRA days in the 70s especially but you must realise that's pretty much gone now.

Of course being anti-religion I don't like some of the pandering as you call it but feel the same way about christian pandering - in fact its now hard to see who followed who on that one as you can't really blame people for saying "well they get special treatment so why shouldn't we". The solution is to stop special treatment for everyone.

I also think you're completely wrong about people being afraid to speak up - the Mail (I know, sorry) might tell you you can't say anything but the truth is it's perfectly possible to speak out. There's too many people who only say they can't because they're trying to make people think they can't when they can.

its been growing for a long time before july 7th and the Gulf War !!! and still growing, faster and faster.

People are afraid to speak up, and the "law" isn't helping....where is that thread on that Dutch bloke and the yank who were refused entry into the UK to voice their opinions on Islam ? I know you said you personally thought they should be allowed their freedom of speech [correct of course] but the point is the authorities denied it to them for fear of offending Islam. Doesn't that tell you something ?

Tells me you're a frightened old man, peering at the world over the top of your tabloid, believing every piece of crap they throw at you.

Give me one example where you've personally been affected by a real life Muslim.

I've been bumped off the cunts in the local offie loads of times, and it's only when you get home you realise they've ripped you. Plus they talk in Pakistani when you're in the shop, fucks me right off, it's ignorance, they could be saying "look at this fat cunt, drinking again" or anything. Well Bal couldn't say that to be fair cos he's fatter than me, but it's still ignorance.

Edited by McFaul

I've been bumped off the cunts in the local offie loads of times, and it's only when you get home you realise they've ripped you. Plus they talk in Pakistani when you're in the shop, fucks me right off, it's ignorance, they could be saying "look at this fat cunt, drinking again" or anything. Well Bal couldn't say that to be fair cos he's fatter than me, but it's still ignorance.

And the roles could be reversed when you are on holiday (especially with a Geordie accent :jesuswept: ). Whats the answer? We arent allowed to leave our countries.

And the roles could be reversed when you are on holiday (especially with a Geordie accent :jesuswept: ). Whats the answer? We arent allowed to leave our countries.

They LIVE in this country, and the two in question for 30 years speaking better English than most of us. Do you think it's ignorant to speak in a foreign language in a British shop, when you're serving British people, and there's only three of you in the shop? I do. Fuckin height of ignorance.

As for the Spain example, they'd have a GDP like Chad if we didn't go there so they can pipe down. We're just holiday makers there anyway, and I'm sure people who settle in Costa del Sol, have a go at the language anyway.

Hey Ho.

Hitler was an atheist.

Oh no he wasn't!

What was he then?

A devious politician leading a nominally Christian country like 1930s Germany will say lots of Christian-sounding stuff to maintain popularity.

His early stuff, is pro-christian. Once he is trashing most of Europe he openly despised Christianity. This may not mean he was an atheist, but non-religious at least, unless he was a secret Muslim.

I'll do pantomime with you if you want though.

It's behind you!

I honestly think the devious politician is closest to the mark but the ignorance of Theists who claim he was an Atheist and by association his views on race were "Darwinist" is worth arguing against.

Hitler was a Catholic who was never excommunicated and whose first treaty as chancellor was with the Vatican to protect their rights. He also banned The Origin of Species and books by the German Darwin - can't remember his name - so that correlation is also shite.

As I said like most politicians he was very practical when it came to religion - able to opt in or out to suit.

They LIVE in this country, and the two in question for 30 years speaking better English than most of us. Do you think it's ignorant to speak in a foreign language in a British shop, when you're serving British people, and there's only three of you in the shop? I do. Fuckin height of ignorance.

As for the Spain example, they'd have a GDP like Chad if we didn't go there so they can pipe down. We're just holiday makers there anyway, and I'm sure people who settle in Costa del Sol, have a go at the language anyway.

If someone offered you a basic of 300,000k a year to work in a (eg) Dubai, would you learn and only speak the local language ?