Your Favourite Flop?

KrulsCurtains

Of our numerous 'flops' over the past 2 decades - which one were you most disappointed to see fail here?

For me it's Mark Viduka. I loved seeing the guy play. On his day he was a master of his trade. Capable of touches good enough and switched on enough to be called Bergkampesque at times, and should have been as good. Sometimes I'd watch him and think if you weren't such a fat lazy knacker you could easily be one of the best strikers on the planet. One big fat waste of talent.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viduka seemed to be one of the players who responded best to Shearer's short stint as gaffer. Shearer spoke very well of his commitment to try and get the club out of relegation. He almost did it too, if his goal against Fulham hadn't been disallowed. Too bad he didn't do more of it ...

Yes, a very talented player when he put his mind to it (esp. at Leeds).

Most recently Alan Smith - thought he was a really good player previously and can't fault his attitude but his all encompassing shitness has been very disappointing.

John Dahl, wasnt for the effort and when he scored that first goal, I think the whole stadium sighed in relief but I can still remember the expression on his face. Could have been a cracking player for us if used correctly.

I was also going to post Kluivert, but I remember at the time being warned by a mate who lives in Barcelona what a lazy,stroppy bastard he was, so I wasn't really that shocked when it turned out that way.

So, Dogleash it is. Given what he took over, and what could have been.

John Dahl, wasnt for the effort and when he scored that first goal, I think the whole stadium sighed in relief but I can still remember the expression on his face. Could have been a cracking player for us if used correctly.

In his time at Newcastle he gave absolutely no indication he would have that much of a successful career. He was so slow and weak it was scary. He also looked like an expert finisher in pre-season but as soon as the PL started he was like a little boy. It all went downhill for him when was clean through on his debut v Sheff Wed and fluffed it. It just never got any better for him here.

Stephane Gui'varch for me. French World cup winner. Literally expected one of the best strikers in the world, just never happened I am afraid!

He was obviously shit during said world cup though.

Stephane Gui'varch for me. French World cup winner. Literally expected one of the best strikers in the world, just never happened I am afraid!

I remember us signing him at the start of the world cup then going on to have a shocking tournament. Typical.

Viduka seemed to be one of the players who responded best to Shearer's short stint as gaffer. Shearer spoke very well of his commitment to try and get the club out of relegation. He almost did it too, if his goal against Fulham hadn't been disallowed. Too bad he didn't do more of it ...

He had a tendency throughout much of his career to only perform to his best around contract renewal time.

I remember us signing him at the start of the world cup then going on to have a shocking tournament. Typical.

"He must be good. He is a world cup winner" - Oh how wrong we were.

iirc the signing went through with a few games remaining for France, so I watched him closely. He was crap.

I'm not going to go for the obvious and say Owen even though he was the worst pound for pound signing we had, the most disappointed I've been for a player we've signed where I expected him to do well was John Robertson. For those that are younger, Robertson had a very good scoring record for Hearts and was bought with some of the proceeds of the Gazza fee. Unfortunately we were never the same side when Gazza went as he and Paul Goddard were missed and our migdet strikeforce of Robertson and Mirandinha struggled to get on the end of the punts upfield from Dave Beasant and our other defenders. We sold him back after relegation to his club and he started scoring again. Typical.

iirc the signing went through with a few games remaining for France, so I watched him closely. He was crap.

probably the only first choice world cup winning striker ever to not actually score a single goal during the tournament if memory serves. And am I right in thinking the only Toon player ever to have a world cup winners medal?

Guest alex

probably the only first choice world cup winning striker ever to not actually score a single goal during the tournament if memory serves. And am I right in thinking the only Toon player ever to have a world cup winners medal?

Right on both counts I think.

Guest alex
Bramble. TBH. Could look world class on occasion. No not taking the piss, best long passer we've ever had.

Loads of talent as a defender. Biggest confidence player I've seen I think. Wouldn't go as far as you both could knock a lovely ball. Did it absolutely effortlessly at times as well.

Hugo Viana

One of my favourite players to have played for NUFC. Shame he wasn't strong enough or quite cut out for the premiership, but he still showed one or two moments of magic (wondergoal in the UEFA Cup springs to mind).

Played well last night.