Tooj

• 1 month later...

Media rumours that West Brom are planning a bid for Demba Ba.

Could be a sign that Berahino is off. Mind, if SB ends up at a Champions League chasing team it could spell the end of his momentum. Player like him needs to play week in week out.

Still not certain I rate Berahino particularly...

Shame about Ba, he seemed poised for quite the career before moving to Chelsea. I know that the money is probably the biggest factor, but how do these players not see this sort of thing coming? Anyone and his dog could have told Ba that he'd be a substitute at Chelsea, at best, and that he'd be off again within the year. See also Loic Remy.

Because they move for the money. Also once you're on a Chelsea salary, the inevitable (or not) move later will likely have a better salary as the new reference point in salary negotiations is much higher. Makes sense from a money perspective which is all that Ba's management are arsed about.

Shame about Ba, he seemed poised for quite the career before moving to Chelsea. I know that the money is probably the biggest factor, but how do these players not see this sort of thing coming? Anyone and his dog could have told Ba that he'd be a substitute at Chelsea, at best, and that he'd be off again within the year. See also Loic Remy.

Can't imagine they'll have any regrets that they can't wipe away with their bankroll.

But then why did he move away from Chelsea after one full season? It can't just be the money or he'd just sit there warming the bench wouldn't he? Unless you think he's getting paid more now than he was then? And surely West Brom aren't going to be paying him as much as Chelsea were.

I do basically take the point though.

Edited by Rayvin

But then why did he move away from Chelsea after one full season? It can't just be the money or he'd just sit there warming the bench wouldn't he? Unless you think he's getting paid more now than he was then? And surely West Brom aren't going to be paying him as much as Chelsea were.

I do basically take the point though.

As Chez said, moving to Chelsea changes the bracket he's in. Just like playing for Man U as a kid propels you into a different strata than your talent should permit, moving to Man City, Chelsea etc. means that the next club will have to pay a premium.

Even if it's just a year, it bumps the demands he (or rather his "advisors") can make. When/If he returns to the Premier League, he doesn't return as an ex-Besiktas striker. He's an ex-Chelsea star.

West Brom might be paying less than Chelsea, but they'll still be paying more than they would for a 29yr old journeyman who hadn't played for Chelsea.

I think that top footballers also inherently believe they're good enough to start every week at any club they go to. You don't get to the top without that sort of self belief/arrogance no matter how talented you are.

@Fish: I suppose so. Perhaps he'd argue that the year he spent on the bench is worth it for a higher salary for the rest of his playing years.

Still think he'd have looked a better striker all round if he'd not done it though. He looks a bit of a busted flush now, as far as his actual ability goes. I don't think it's especially flattering that West Brom are leading the chase for him to be honest.

Edited by Rayvin

I think that top footballers also inherently believe they're good enough to start every week at any club they go to. You don't get to the top without that sort of self belief/arrogance no matter how talented you are.

I wondered this myself, I just can't imagine how deluded they must have to be though. That said, without that delusion maybe they'd never have gotten started at all.

I wondered this myself, I just can't imagine how deluded they must have to be though. That said, without that delusion maybe they'd never have gotten started at all.

Good point. They're also surrounded by toadying sucker fish who'll be busy blowing smoke up their arses and feeding their egos.

@Fish: I suppose so. Perhaps he'd argue that the year he spent on the bench is worth it for a higher salary for the rest of his playing years.

Still think he'd have looked a better striker all round if he'd not done it though. He looks a bit of a busted flush now, as far as his actual ability goes. I don't think it's especially flattering that West Brom are leading the chase for him to be honest.

I think that trophies, awards and medals are becoming a secondary concern after platinum cock rings and diamond tea spoons.

Despite their comments that it is the CL (Ba and Remy were lucky to get 10 mins as a sub) that drives players to ask for a transfer everyone knows that the only real driver is MONEY. Edited by BLACKANDWHITEGEORDIE

• 1 year later...