Coloccini

JawD

Not disagreeing per we but if there's one things the Man Utds of this world showed us last year it's that spending mental amounts of money is a guarantee of fuck all. I reckon it'll be a close league for all concerned.

Actually, we're a pretty good example of that as well :lol:

Mourinho is a bit better at spending than LVG imo. It doesn't guarantee a title no but I'm fairly confident that Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea will all have better seasons than they did this season. I was just meaning teams wont be "doing a Leicester" from now on, it's not going to become a common place event.

I disagree that it guarantees fuck all, by and large spending a lot of money is what has kept the league in the hands of a few teams for so long and next season we'll probably see a return to the norm thanks in part to Chelsea, Man Utd, and Man City spending a load.

We spent a lot last season but we don't spend consistently which allows players to settle and a team to come out of that, we spent seasons scrimping by and then bought a bunch of players in positions that we thought would appreciate the most (like buying lots of attacking mids). We also entrusted people like Steve McClaren and Lee Charnley to do the spending, they're giving it to Mourinho, Guardiola and Conte.

I do see what you're saying but I've felt for a couple of seasons that the reason there was such dominance at the top of the league was predominantly due to CL money. The PL has effectively eaten away at the proportion of overall income that CL qualification grants though, which means, financially speaking, teams are much closer to an even footing. On top of that, to get hold of the players who will actually improve them, the top teams will be paying through the eyes. The lower teams won't be I reckon - they'll pay a slight premium but will only really have to outbid European clubs of a similar stature, not the heavyweights. So the superclubs might get one or two world class players, but the others could feasibly get 4 or 5 very good players with a greater overall impact.

Could be wrong like, but I think the PL has fundamentally changed.

:lol: Aye Liverpool have already had Higuain saying he'd fancy going there, I think West Ham will look to kick on as well. Spurs will hold onto the good squad they have and improve on it so they'll challenge the top 5 positions. If we do get promoted I could see Rafa having us challenge for mid table position though but wouldn't give us a chance at making Europa league positions let alone 'doing a Leicester'.

Thing is, for all people are spending more money, the standard of players haven't dramatically improved. Fans of clubs in the bottom half of the top flight are making out like we'll be £100m behind them all, well not really. The Premier League will be able to afford top level players, sure, but the elite clubs always have. That doesn't mean West Brom will suddenly be able to attract Alexandre Lacazette or Mario Gotze. They might spend a fortune on players, but they're as likely to overspend on Ricky van Wolfswinkel as they are to secure top talent.

The clubs still have to name a squad of 25, they still have to obey FFP, and selling clubs will still know they can charge Premier League clubs more.

Think it was PaddockLad on here who said what Leicester were doing was an extreme version of the season we came 5th. I.e. a sort of 'perfect storm' of key players staying fit and the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City performing well below their normal selves. I do think the TV money has levelled the playing field making it less important to be in the Champions League to be able to compete financially but I don't think league challenges from smaller clubs are set to become the norm by any means.

I do see what you're saying but I've felt for a couple of seasons that the reason there was such dominance at the top of the league was predominantly due to CL money. The PL has effectively eaten away at the proportion of overall income that CL qualification grants though, which means, financially speaking, teams are much closer to an even footing. On top of that, to get hold of the players who will actually improve them, the top teams will be paying through the eyes. The lower teams won't be I reckon - they'll pay a slight premium but will only really have to outbid European clubs of a similar stature, not the heavyweights. So the superclubs might get one or two world class players, but the others could feasibly get 4 or 5 very good players with a greater overall impact.

Could be wrong like, but I think the PL has fundamentally changed.

I think that is the hope, it's what fans of every club (outside of the PL era big sides) really wants to happen. I really hope you're right, my main worry is that now everyone knows PL clubs have so much money so all the PL teams will get gouged when going abroad to buy which means those 5m players will simply become 10m or so players. The 'top clubs' will still be the only ones that have access to a certain tier of player, as the Higuain being interested in Liverpool goes to show as I'm unconvinced he'd go to Leicester which in reality should be daft since Leicester have just won a title and will be in the CL but people wont see it as mental.

I'd like it to level the financial playing field but I just fear that all it really does is increase the level of everyone (big rich sides included as they'll now be more likely to challenge Madrid etc for that 60-80m player), the CL money is still a large hunk over what the other PL sides gets and the vast commercial revenue the bigger sides bring in also helps. Again what you said could be right and I genuinely hope it is but I just think next year is going to be a bit of a backlash and it'll be a long while before we see a one like last season (not exactly going out on a limb with that one I know).

I think the league is changed but I just think the CL positions are generally going to stay within the same gang, I think the change will be the top 10 sides becoming stronger than ever, teams like West Ham are really capitalizing on this, bottom dwellers like (picking a totally random example) Sunderland will still buy utter dross generally it'll just be overpriced utter dross like Fabio Borini and they wont change much with the money (as which players would want to go there? even Borini fraught the move tooth and nail for 18 month).

• 1 month later...

Fabricio Coloccini's contract has been terminated by mutual consent, allowing the player to join San Lorenzo

Newcastle United can confirm that the contract of Fabricio Coloccini has been terminated by mutual consent, allowing the player to return home to Argentina to join San Lorenzo.

Coloccini joined United from Deportivo La Coruna in August 2008 and made his Magpies' debut two days later, against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

He captained Newcastle for the first time in October 2010 against Wigan Athletic, before being named as club captain ahead of the 2011/12 season - a campaign that also saw him named in the PFA Team of the Season.

In total, Coloccini made 275 appearances for United in all competitions, scoring seven goals.

Managing director Lee Charnley said: "It is rare in football these days that a player gives such length of service to one club and I would like to thank Colo for his contribution to Newcastle United since he joined us before the start of the 2008/09 season.

"In the eight years he has been with us, Colo has become a firm friend and colleague to many players and staff, past and present, who I know will miss him. We wish him all the very best for his future career."

For anyone who can't be arsed to open the link

Open letter :-

Dear life friends,

I'm writing to you, my friends, and in general all you who have been part of this journey in this big club, that will always have a privileged place in my heart.

To all the coaches, all the managers and the players I have been with and all the people that have accompanied us, in every stadium at home and away. To all the people that I have had the chance to have my picture taken with, and to all those people with their special song for me in the stadium who gave me their heart as well.

You have adopted me here and made me feel welcome and so happy. You also opened the door to your house and your hearts when my loved ones were far away.

This list of life friends could go on and on, but I can summarise it - this message is for all those people with black and white blood in their veins.

It is at this point that I need to give a special mention to my adopted family.

In reality, I always felt adopted by this club and by this beautiful city. But I would like to mention, in particular, the staff I have been honoured to work with over all of these years; the chefs, the physios, doctors, masseurs, kit men, domestic staff and cleaners, the security staff on reception, the media staff, the video analysts, the groundsmen, the laundry ladies, the secretaries and the other administrators.

I'd like to make a special mention to those people, because from outside it's easy to just see the football match and the football player without realising the effort and the feeling, the emotion, care and the love that these people put into their work on a daily basis.

These people adopted me and these people made it so much easier for me considering that I had a lot of my loved ones many miles away in my country. I will be forever grateful to them all.

After all these years I understand that an open letter might not be the best way to say goodbye but I would rather put this in writing so that people can understand me better and so that things can be interpreted accurately.

I spent about half my career at this club with very positive moments but also with negative ones.

Unfortunately we couldn't lift a title for the club, which is a dream that I haven't been able to fulfil. And in this last year the club and players were not up to the standard of the competition, and for that reason we lost our Premier League status.

Today I'm taking the decision of taking a step sideways, of leaving, for several reasons, none of which have anything to do with not wanting to play in the Championship.

As I showed last time we lost our Premier League status, when even though I had a World Cup ahead of me, I still wanted to stay at the club.

One of the main reasons is that after so many years of trying to achieve a title for the club and not being able to do it, it might be time to let other players arrive with the same drive, impetus and desire as I did years ago.

For logical reasons, the mental strain of this is much more than the physical. For this reason, this is I think for me, the time to take a step sideways.

Another very important reason is my children. They have been living in Argentina for a few years, they moved there when they were only little. But now I feel they need the presence of their father to help them find a healthy path and direction in life. Also to enjoy my family and my friends, because I left Argentina being only 17.

Another point that you will undoubtedly understand because this is a city that lives and breathes football - I am 34-years-old now. I feel really well still physically and I am looking forward to carrying on playing football. This day had to arrive, when I had to return to mi gran querido San Lorenzo de Almagro, my home.

They deserve the respect from me to come back still with hunger for glory and still physically able to make a contribution and today, thankfully, I have both. I am sure you'll understand this point because as a fan of a club I would always want a player to return at their best so that they can be enjoyed by the fans.

These were the reasons why I take this decision. I would not want to be in a situation where mentally, with so many years away from my children, I would not be able to be 100 per cent focussed here.

But I am not going only for that reason. The mental strain of being eight years at this club and everything we have experienced, without being able to win a title, has also taken its toll.

Without a doubt my playing years are coming to an end and I will continue with a football-related career after that. I will prepare myself for this and I will work towards being able to achieve as a coach what I was unable to fulfil as a player.

Maybe one day I can return and contribute to winning a title for this club and the best fans in England.

With mixed emotions of the joy of being able to return home but also the sadness of leaving the most important phase of my career, I'd like to say goodbye for now, forever grateful for the love you have given me and the opportunity to grow as a footballer and, most importantly, as a person.

Fabricio

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20160705/coloccini-an-open-letter_2281670_5705879

Maybe one day I can return and contribute to winning a title for this club and the best fans in England.

Get to fuck. We should post guards on the Barrack Road to keep this fraud away. Enjoy San Injuriofalso or whatever it's called, don't come back.

Open letter :-

Dear life friends,

I'm writing to you, my friends, and in general all you who have been part of this journey in this big club, that will always have a privileged place in my heart.

To all the coaches, all the managers and the players I have been with and all the people that have accompanied us, in every stadium at home and away. To all the people that I have had the chance to have my picture taken with, and to all those people with their special song for me in the stadium who gave me their heart as well.

You have adopted me here and made me feel welcome and so happy. You also opened the door to your house and your hearts when my loved ones were far away.

This list of life friends could go on and on, but I can summarise it - this message is for all those people with black and white blood in their veins.

It is at this point that I need to give a special mention to my adopted family.

In reality, I always felt adopted by this club and by this beautiful city. But I would like to mention, in particular, the staff I have been honoured to work with over all of these years; the chefs, the physios, doctors, masseurs, kit men, domestic staff and cleaners, the security staff on reception, the media staff, the video analysts, the groundsmen, the laundry ladies, the secretaries and the other administrators.

I'd like to make a special mention to those people, because from outside it's easy to just see the football match and the football player without realising the effort and the feeling, the emotion, care and the love that these people put into their work on a daily basis.

These people adopted me and these people made it so much easier for me considering that I had a lot of my loved ones many miles away in my country. I will be forever grateful to them all.

After all these years I understand that an open letter might not be the best way to say goodbye but I would rather put this in writing so that people can understand me better and so that things can be interpreted accurately.

I spent about half my career at this club with very positive moments but also with negative ones.

Unfortunately we couldn't lift a title for the club, which is a dream that I haven't been able to fulfil. And in this last year the club and players were not up to the standard of the competition, and for that reason we lost our Premier League status.

Today I'm taking the decision of taking a step sideways, of leaving, for several reasons, none of which have anything to do with not wanting to play in the Championship.

As I showed last time we lost our Premier League status, when even though I had a World Cup ahead of me, I still wanted to stay at the club.

One of the main reasons is that after so many years of trying to achieve a title for the club and not being able to do it, it might be time to let other players arrive with the same drive, impetus and desire as I did years ago.

For logical reasons, the mental strain of this is much more than the physical. For this reason, this is I think for me, the time to take a step sideways.

Another very important reason is my children. They have been living in Argentina for a few years, they moved there when they were only little. But now I feel they need the presence of their father to help them find a healthy path and direction in life. Also to enjoy my family and my friends, because I left Argentina being only 17.

Another point that you will undoubtedly understand because this is a city that lives and breathes football - I am 34-years-old now. I feel really well still physically and I am looking forward to carrying on playing football. This day had to arrive, when I had to return to mi gran querido San Lorenzo de Almagro, my home.

They deserve the respect from me to come back still with hunger for glory and still physically able to make a contribution and today, thankfully, I have both. I am sure you'll understand this point because as a fan of a club I would always want a player to return at their best so that they can be enjoyed by the fans.

These were the reasons why I take this decision. I would not want to be in a situation where mentally, with so many years away from my children, I would not be able to be 100 per cent focussed here.

But I am not going only for that reason. The mental strain of being eight years at this club and everything we have experienced, without being able to win a title, has also taken its toll.

Without a doubt my playing years are coming to an end and I will continue with a football-related career after that. I will prepare myself for this and I will work towards being able to achieve as a coach what I was unable to fulfil as a player.

With mixed emotions of the joy of being able to return home but also the sadness of leaving the most important phase of my career, I'd like to say goodbye for now, forever grateful for the love you have given me and the opportunity to grow as a footballer and, most importantly, as a person. Finally, a big thank you to the Trinity mirror groups sports journalist of the year, (2015), Lee Ryder, the North East sporting fucking lyrical gangsta, for jotting down any old shite which I could put my name to in not so beautiful moments for the club.

Fabricio.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20160705/coloccini-an-open-letter_2281670_5705879

FYP

:lol: He stayed because he was on 60k a week and had just had an absolute nightmare of a season rather than out of any loyalty like he's trying to make out there.

Thank fuck this complete nobber has finally been fucked off.

:lol: He stayed because he was on 60k a week and had just had an absolute nightmare of a season rather than out of any loyalty like he's trying to make out there.

Thank fuck this complete nobber has finally been fucked off.

Even my wife was telling him she had a headache these last few months.