• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't regard Liverpool as a 'really' big club, why do you continually spout shite about how big Newcastle are?

Show me a post where I have said we're a "big club", we're bigger than all bar 3 or 4 clubs (including yourselves) Liverpool aren't a big club in modern football, by that I mean a top club that can compete for league titles every season. Surely that's what a big club is.

Edited by McFaul

Was thinking about Ronnie Whelan when I was reading this actually. Class act. Remember that goal v Man Utd in (I think) the Milk Cup Final?

I can't remember that Alex, I remember his flying volley against the USSR in Euro 88 though.

I can't remember that Alex, I remember his flying volley against the USSR in Euro 88 though.

You're probably a wee bit too young thinking about it. It was 1983. Jesus wept. It was the one where they sent Bob Paisley up to collect the cup:

Show me a post where we have, we're bigger than all bar 3 or 4 clubs (including yourselves) Liverpool aren't a big club in modern football, by that I mean a top club that can compete for league titles every season. Surely that's what a big club is.

I see, so if you have only challenged a couple of times in the last what? 10, 20, 50, 100 years? you aren't a big club. Or will it only fall in YOUR and the Sky generations time period? In which case Liverpool I think have had two 2nds, but have also finished consistently higher than Newcastle. In fact haven't finished lower than 8th in 50 years. Where does this leave Arsenal in your small mind? After all, even last season is now history.

You're talking shit as per, your club is nowhere near to Liverpool in stature, no matter how many times you tell yourself differently. I'm sure there are a few clubs fans who'd argue your just outside the top 3 or 4 also.

Edited by Pacinofan

You're probably a wee bit too young thinking about it. It was 1983. Jesus wept. It was the one where they sent Bob Paisley up to collect the cup:

Aye I was too young some goal that though. The first League Cup I remember was Oxford winning it about 87. Even just looking at that youtube though seeing Liverpool in the 80's, they held that aura about them, that "bastion of invincibility" Shankly used to talk about. Liverpool of today really are just another club, in terms of squad quality you'd put them 8th or 9th at best, they just have nothing at all, other than a fantastic history between the mid 60's and end of the 80's, in which they won 13 of their 18 league titles, and 4 of their 5 European Cups.

Everton have a MUCH better side than they do, and although we've not been firing on all cylinders so do we, we'll probably lose though with Anfield being a major bogie ground.

When I was a kid Liverpool was always a big game, a challenge, now it's not much more than playing mid table plodders like Aston Villa. It goes without saying Man Utd and Arsenal are bigger in the modern game than them by far, and with their wealth Man City and Chelsea too. When you think the key men like Gerrard and Carragher (well he's not now) they won't be around in 3 years time, they genuinely need a whole new team, and the fickle nature of their fans won't make life easy for Rodgers, in the years it takes them to become a top 6 club again. Their top players like Suarez and Agger won't put up with the inevitable two more years of 8th and 9th neither, and neither will Abdul in Bangalore watching the internet streams in his fake red Liverpool top. For years they had a near monopoly on glory hunters around the world, why would a glory hunter want to support them now? A rotten club who condone racist behaviour, a club with little chance of real glory in the short and medium term, as I said their evolution will see them turn in to an Aston Villa. Tottenham have overtaken them without doubt, and while the yids are almost as odious a club as they are, they've risen to the top doing things properly, they haven't done it by artifical means relying on American owners to spunk £20 on the likes of Henderson and Downing.

I see, so if you have only challenged a couple of times in the last what? 10, 20, 50, 100 years? you aren't a big club. Or will it only fall in YOUR and the Sky generations time period? In which case Liverpool I think have had two 2nds, but have also finished consistently higher than Newcastle. In fact haven't finished lower than 8th in 50 years. Where does this leave Arsenal in your small mind? After all, even last season is now history.

You're talking shit as per, your club is nowhere near to Liverpool in stature, no matter how many times you tell yourself differently. I'm sure there are a few clubs fans who'd argue your just outside the top 3 or 4 also.

I tell you where it leaves Arsenal in my mind. In the last 13 years they've won 4 league titles (one of the seasons doing the near impossible and going undefeated), and 5 FA Cups, they're also the FOURTH richest club in the world. Granted the last 6 years haven't worked out as they may have wanted but in the modern era Arsenal piss all over Liverpool.

Show me where I've said we're near Liverpool in stature, you have your stature because of a golden 25 year spell when club size had nothing to do with winning titles, see Derby, Leeds and Forest for that. You were a well run club, and for 25 years you kept the policy of inhouse management, and your results speak for themselves. All I've said is in the modern game Liverpool are also rans. You are. End of story, you don't need to tell me what NUFC are you stupid cunt. We've come second twice in your time frame too. So fuck. You don't get anything for coming second. SBR said in 2003, the only two clubs NUFC should feel in awe of and aspire to, are Arsenal and Man Utd, he was right then, but obviously since then the oil money has added Chelsea and Man City to the list. Liverpool?? Nah pal.

Edited by McFaul

Happy to oblige Tooj, boring and tedious it is. His views always give me a good laugh though.

As do yours for me. Amazing how deluded you are. I didn't even realise people like you existed.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, mate, so can you make it a little bit clearer for me. I know you're defending your club etc but can you explain the bit about other clubs arguing that we're not amongst the big clubs in this country, by that I mean your assumption we're not just outside the top four clubs? Just how many clubs do you see as bigger than NUFC for whatever criteria you want to use?

If we're not outside the top three or four clubs, then how low do you go down? Are we 8th? 9th? Lower? How many clubs does he think are bigger or better? I'm genuinely interested what he thinks on this.

Bigness: The Big Debate.

There's a big fuck off Wolfy thread to get your teeth into if you'd like. It's riveting stuff as well.

"There's satellites"

"No there's not"

"yes there is, mong"

etc, etc.

Or terminally boring on this subject. One of the two.

Nothing more boring than people saying something is boring. There isn't neither. If there was a convention on knitting at Newcastle City Hall, would you gatecrash it, go on stage, grab the mic and say "you know what? This is fucking boring!"?

There's a big fuck off Wolfy thread to get your teeth into if you'd like. It's riveting stuff as well.

"There's satellites"

"No there's not"

"yes there is, mong"

etc, etc.

Exactly.

Nothing more boring than people saying something is boring. There isn't neither. If there was a convention on knitting at Newcastle City Hall, would you gatecrash it, go on stage, grab the mic and say "you know what? This is fucking boring!"?

He was never this bad when Leazes was here. Sniff.

It is boring like. Manc-mag was always spot on when it came to this though because the size of our support given the dearth of success (tangible success anyway) is a bone of contention for many other clubs' fans because with the odd possible exception they know were pretty much peerless in that regard.

Edited by Alex

Great analogy.

Now let's get back to dissecting the relative bigness of football clubs. How are we gonna get to the bottom of this?