NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hooray, lets sell one of our only two fullbacks who has played almost every league game for us for 3 years!

Why not? We could probably get a half-decent fee for him, he clearly thinks he's too good to be a squad player and if we want to remain where we are then we definitely need a replacement brought in for him.

Just because he's played that amount of games for us doesn't mean he's at the level we want from our players anymore.

because unless we're getting a carroll level over valuation then its not worth it imo

to fill a squad for euro competition and the league and the cups we essentially need 2 players per position

as it stands we've got 2 fullbacks in Simpson and Santon with Perch covering the entire back line

if we sell him we need to sign at least 2 fullbacks and a centre back in summer which I dont reckon will happen

similar to the carroll situation in that we needed a striker before getting rid of him in the first place, we've come out on top on that front no question but there aren't that many good fullbacks about these days and someone as reliable as simpson, even if hes not that great, is a big asset

I think we'll buy a first choice full-back and centre half in the summer.

So that means a direct replacement for Simpson, then you will have Perch, Ferguson, Tavernier, Ryan Taylor and as a last resort even Steven Taylor as backup.

I'm being realistic as in an ideal world he would stay as a squad player, but I really can't see that happening, can you?

He needs to be phased out of the first team and replaced, it's that simple iyam.

We might see Tavernier upgraded to a first team slot. Well, at the very least he'll be given a go in the pre season.

I reckon it's nailed on that Simpson will be leaving and we'll sign a new LB so Santon can play on his preferred side. Whilst Simpson has been a very capable player for us over the past 3 years, he's always been replaceable. He won't get a game at Chelsea so he'd be foolish to go there but he's definitely a player who can do a job for mid-table teams. His best fit would be at a club like West Brom.

Cannot see why Chelsea would be interested in Simpson? He's hit his ceiling if you ask me, has too many weaknesses in his game to make it at the top and he's too slow. Perchinho has looked decent at RB the last couple of games. If we could get a few million for Simpson I'd imagine we could bring in a better full back from the continent to be honest.

8 in the entire squad, we're fine, U21 players dont need to be registered and empty slots count towards the 8

Well, Vertonghen just put all his eggs in one basket.

This outburst wouldn't have anything to do with Harry getting in his ear though, would it. Harry's not that kind of manager... :scratchchin:

I'm hot for Spurs! Vertonghen reveals he wants to join Tottenham and calls on Ajax to agree a deal

"Tottenham are absolutely my favourite, [but] the Ajax board are asking for a very big amount for a player whose contract is running out in year," said the Arsenal and Man United target

Jan Vertonghen has revealed he wants to seal a move to Tottenham this summer, and has called on his club Ajax to agree a fee with Harry Redknapp's side.

The Belgium international has been linked with a number of Premier League sides including Arsenal and Manchester United.

But the 25-year-old, who has just one year left on his contract, has now told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf that he favours a switch to White Hart Lane.

"Tottenham are absolutely my favourite," he said. "[but] the Ajax board are asking for a very big amount for a player whose contract is running out in year.

"I trust that both Tottenham and Ajax will put some water in the wine and they will soon reach an agreement.

"I owe much to Ajax, but I've always given my whole heart and soul to the club," he added.

"My appreciation for the club and the fans is great. It would be terrible if my farewell is marred or distorted because Ajax [are stubborn] with the asking price.

"Of course I want Ajax to gain financially, but the amount that Tottenham want to pay, I think - perhaps with a little extra – is very reasonable.

"Next year I can leave for free. I hope that this awareness is there, because a transfer lingering for weeks like Maarten Stekelenburg's [to Roma] seems very harsh.

"He joined at the end of Roma's preparation [for the new season]. I want to be able to blend in with the other players at Spurs from the start [of pre-season training]."

The centre-back appeared to rule out the possibility of him joining potential suitors Arsenal or Manchester United.

"Tottenham is a fantastic football club that has the tradition I want," he said.

"Ajax was the perfect club for me, but Spurs is already very close nearby. They buy young, eager, offensive-minded players."

The paper saying that we'll lose 6 or 7 (including people who's contracts are up) before we buy. Well I was aware of that, something that completely slipped my mind was fucking Xisco will be receiving £50,000 a week from the club for the next 14 months still! Wise should be made to pay it.

because unless we're getting a carroll level over valuation then its not worth it imo

to fill a squad for euro competition and the league and the cups we essentially need 2 players per position

as it stands we've got 2 fullbacks in Simpson and Santon with Perch covering the entire back line

if we sell him we need to sign at least 2 fullbacks and a centre back in summer which I dont reckon will happen

similar to the carroll situation in that we needed a striker before getting rid of him in the first place, we've come out on top on that front no question but there aren't that many good fullbacks about these days and someone as reliable as simpson, even if hes not that great, is a big asset

on the right lines. To compete in 4 competitions, you need to add a couple of players to the current team, thus relegating a couple of the current players to the squad. If anybody leaves, you need an extra player again.

NEWCASTLE United chiefs are set to hold a restructuring meeting following Sunday’s final game of the season at Everton.

The Chronicle understands that a fresh phase of squad reshaping will begin next week, with a stringent review of the current first-team roster – and fringe first-team members could be moved on before new faces begin to arrive this summer.

Newcastle are prepared to cash in on Leon Best and Nile Ranger, who has scored twice while on loan at Sheffield Wednesday, while Danny Guthrie will also learn his fate in the next week or so.

However, young gun James Tavernier is also waiting for feedback from his agent on a new deal.

Guthrie – out of contract next month – had spoken about end-of-season talks with the United hierarchy, however, even though the player is fit again after a calf injury he is not likely to figure in the final game of term with the Toffees and his future is in the air.

The player has been linked with Aston Villa all season.

Republic of Ireland striker Best has not featured for Newcastle since February 5 and the 2-1 win over Aston Villa when he sustained a knee injury.

And despite being back again, he has not been able to prise his way into the first team due to the blistering form of Papiss Cisse and Demba Ba’s establishment on the big stage. Best – who has four goals to his name this season – goes into the final year of his contract next month and United will listen any cash offers for the ex-Coventry City man.

And the same applies to Ranger, who has had numerous chances by United boss Alan Pardew but continually let himself down.

The Londoner shone on loan at Sheff Wed on a temporary basis in League One and helped secure a place in the Championship.

Ranger has always insisted that he saw his future at United and his lucrative contract still has four years to run.

But at 21 he knows the time has come to play first-team football.

The likes of Alan Smith and Peter Lovenkrands will also see their contracts come to an end with both players expecting to leave.

Yet Newcastle are still lumbered with Spanish flop Xisco – who has been on loan at Deportivo la Coruna – who has another year left on his contract at wages of £50,000 per week.

Meanwhile, United have cooled their interest on Aussie defender Curtis Good.

The 19-year-old Melbourne Heart player recently spent time at the club’s Benton base before Good returned down under.

Good is one of many trialists the club will be assessing in the coming weeks after United made the decision to revamp their developmental pool.

For me, assuming we are looking at Europa League.  I reckon :

Get Rid (let go without replacing)

Best

Smith

Ranger

Xisco (though I can see the loan signing going for the last year)

Replace(sell / let go and bring someone in in their place)

Guthrie (if he wants away)

Lovenkrands (we need back up to Ba/Cisse/Shola)

Bring In (new signings)

Centre Half

Full Back

Im not sure which of the kids will get new contracts, a few are up this summer.  Id also expect us to bring some other kids in.

The above would shrink our squad by two but improve its overall strength.

my issue with that really is how light we are left up front

we need reinforcements as it is and we're liklely to ship 4 forwards this summer

Shola will never play for another club that much is true. I think he'll get contracts to 2016 remarkably and retire. I'm of the opinion that Pardew loves him.

No secret that Pardew thinks the world of him. Every chance he gets he hits in about how he "represents everything we at about at this club" etc.

I think he's had a good season tbh. He looks class when he comes on when everyone else is fucked. :lol:

I've gone past the stage of hating on Shola and have just accepted he's going to be here forever.

I feel much better for the inner peace too :lol:

Hes been oddly valuable as a sub, he comes on and completely calms the whole team down, where paniced tired touches once were everyone seems to relax and play it better