NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

Who was the Dutch youth international who played alongside Drenthe that signed for Blackburn?

He was top scorer in the U-21 Euro's, we were lined with him, but he looked crap.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody else think that the centre mid position suits Jonas nicely?

Crossing/long passes are his weakest attributes so taking them away would

Improve him on the whole. Have always said that I think he's at his best when he can make short passes, with more space to operate his dribbling should also be even more effective.

Does anybody else think that the centre mid position suits Jonas nicely?

Crossing/long passes are his weakest attributes so taking them away would

Improve him on the whole. Have always said that I think he's at his best when he can make short passes, with more space to operate his dribbling should also be even more effective.

Spot on, I think he could do a great job in the middle. All he has to do is get past the odd guy and pass it short to ben arfa/ba/cisse.. Its on the wing I have a problem with him with his awful crossing

If I were Guthrie, I'd be asking myself why have 2 Argentinian international players re signed and may well finish their top level careers with us?...he's been offered 25k a week to play a significant part in a squad that plays in front of 50k+ every fortnight. I cant think of another club where a player of his ability going to get an offer like that. A lot depends on what his agent is whispering in his ear, but hes a silly fucker if he doesn't sign iyam.

I agree mate, but Guthrie has developed nicely the last season - if this continues I wouldnt be surprised if he became good enough to hold down a starter position in a upper-table team.

The lad has ambition, there is nothing wrong with that.

That must be why he's entertaining going to Villa? He's nowhere near as accomplished as Cabaye, man.

I have actually watched a few games where I have in particular focused on Simpson and his every touch and movement. If you do that for 90 minutes, you quickly realise he is simply not a good fotballer.

Also did it with williamson a few weeks back and fuck me if half his passes isnt back to the keeper, while nearly stumbling/falling over with every touch.

What Williamson has is height and power in the air. He'll give anyone a battle in the air, and as long as we have Coloccini sweeping up behind, he's an adequate back up.

Simpson on the other hand, is nowhere near good enough. He rarely cuts any crosses out, he rarely marks his man (instead preferring to man-mark the goal line, on the off chance that he manages to clear from the line). Add to that, he offers literally nothing going forward (often making a negative contribution as he ends a swift passing move by lobbing a cross straight at the keeper, or kicking it into touch).

He could do a job for a team in the bottom 5 or 6, but if we aspire to stay in the lofty heights of the top 6, we need to find someone better. With Ben Arfa on right midfield, a good right back who can cause problems going forward would have a whale of time overlapping.

Guthrie will never hold down a starting position in any team, as he is injured for half of every season. 3 or 4 games on the bounce...groin pull. Another 3 or 4 games, pulled hamstring.

You can't build a midfield around a player who is always injured.

If Guthrie wants to play every game, he'll go. The way football finances are going, he'll do well to get more than 20K from Villa or any other side that would in all likelyhood buy him.

I'm with Paddocklad, he'll be a mug not to stay if he has much choice in the matter.

I have actually watched a few games where I have in particular focused on Simpson and his every touch and movement. If you do that for 90 minutes, you quickly realise he is simply not a good fotballer.

Also did it with williamson a few weeks back and fuck me if half his passes isnt back to the keeper, while nearly stumbling/falling over with every touch.

What Williamson has is height and power in the air. He'll give anyone a battle in the air, and as long as we have Coloccini sweeping up behind, he's an adequate back up.

Simpson on the other hand, is nowhere near good enough. He rarely cuts any crosses out, he rarely marks his man (instead preferring to man-mark the goal line, on the off chance that he manages to clear from the line). Add to that, he offers literally nothing going forward (often making a negative contribution as he ends a swift passing move by lobbing a cross straight at the keeper, or kicking it into touch).

He could do a job for a team in the bottom 5 or 6, but if we aspire to stay in the lofty heights of the top 6, we need to find someone better. With Ben Arfa on right midfield, a good right back who can cause problems going forward would have a whale of time overlapping.

Yep, agree with that. Willo doesnt have the ground skills to be a first choice, but I usually trust him in the air. Rarely am I worried on corners and crosses etc, its the 1-2 passes on the ground I fear the most... as he is clumsy as hell in that particular area.

To me, improving our back line is the acid test of whether we're serious about progressing (assuming we keep all our best players). That means a top quality CB and LB as a priority. If we persist with S Taylor and Simpson next term, it says to me we're happy with top 10.

Simpson yes, but isnt a injury-free steven taylor actually a very good defender?

I do agree that he is far too injury-prone to be relied on, but in the actual case he would be fit for a full season - at which level would you guys rate him?

Simpson yes, but isnt a injury-free steven taylor actually a very good defender?

I do agree that he is far too injury-prone to be relied on, but in the actual case he would be fit for a full season - at which level would you guys rate him?

I would of thought being a Newcastle fan you wouldn't need to ask how good he is.

Or are you a Ben Arfa fan that follows Newcastle because he's here?

I feel sorry for you. Your optimism and your judgement of the players is fine, but your utter delusion is quite sad.

Edited by LeazesMag

I would of thought being a Newcastle fan you wouldn't need to ask how good he is.

Kitman offered the view that steven taylor was not good enough for a top-level team - is he not a fan then?

Very peculiar way of trying to slate fellow fans...

Or are you a

Ben Arfa fan that follows Newcastle because he's here?

didn;t you say that you thought Cacapa was the best central defender on the books at the time he was here ?

Simpson yes, but isnt a injury-free steven taylor actually a very good defender? I do agree that he is far too injury-prone to be relied on, but in the actual case he would be fit for a full season - at which level would you guys rate him?

I think he was decent in the early part of the season, but based on past efforts I personally don't think he's a top 6 defender.......certainly I think we could find better. But the truth is in any event you need more than 2 decent centre halfs to get through a season, we've actually been very lucky Colo has by and large stayed fit. You're right about ST's injury record; he seems to have a habit of missing large chunks of the season.

Kitman offered the view that steven taylor was not good enough for a top-level team - is he not a fan then?

Very peculiar way of trying to slate fellow fans...

He's offered an opinion on the player, one that I agree with.

You on the other hand have asked if he's a good defender, which to be honest you wouldn't need to if you had watched enough of us as you would be forming an opinion of your own, which is why I asked if you were a Ben Arfa fan that follows us because of him.

he offered and opinion on the player, one I agree with

You on the other hand have asked if he's a good defender, which to be honest you wouldn't need to if you had watched enough of us as you would be forming an opinion of your own, which is why I asked if you were a Ben Arfa fan that follows us because of him.

Kitman offered the opinion that he is not a top-6 defender.

I have my own opinion of S.Taylor, I am asking for others view on him regarding this matter.

You said if I had watched him play I wouldnt need to ask. Since you side with Kitman in entertaining the notion that he is not top-6 quality, are you therefore saying that if I had seen him play, I would have concluded that he was not good enough?

You are taking things way too litterarily, I was inviting a discussion on Steven Taylors level and how it fits with our development a quality side, not asking whether he could play fotball.

You seem like an intelligent bloke so Im not sure why you are looking for a fight where there isnt one.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

Or are you a

Ben Arfa fan that follows Newcastle because he's here?

didn;t you say that you thought Cacapa was the best central defender on the books at the time he was here ?

He did look very good for at least 5 minutes.

Not all in a row though.

Actually I think they were, my memory is that he effortlessly dispossesed someone as his first defensive involvement while I sat smugly smiling to myself. Cut to later in the season against Portsmouth and my look had changed more than slightly.

Steven Taylor is a good defender who loves a block and is very handy at corners. Throws his body into defending which can be both a blessing and a curse. Never fit for long enough to fully establish his credentials unfortunately.