NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

Not all in a row though.

Actually I think they were, my memory is that he effortlessly dispossesed someone as his first defensive involvement while I sat smugly smiling to myself. Cut to later in the season against Portsmouth and my look had changed more than slightly.

Steven Taylor is a good defender who loves a block and is very handy at corners. Throws his body into defending which can be both a blessing and a curse. Never fit for long enough to fully establish his credentials unfortunately.

To be fair to him he looked very good up until the Portsmouth battering and he went to bits from there, not that I recall saying what Leazes claims I said and he really isn't in a position to point the finger when he thought Souness was a top boss and better than Keegan.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all in a row though.

Actually I think they were, my memory is that he effortlessly dispossesed someone as his first defensive involvement while I sat smugly smiling to myself. Cut to later in the season against Portsmouth and my look had changed more than slightly.

Steven Taylor is a good defender who loves a block and is very handy at corners. Throws his body into defending which can be both a blessing and a curse. Never fit for long enough to fully establish his credentials unfortunately.

To be fair to him he looked very good up until the Portsmouth battering and he went to bits from there, not that I recall saying what Leazes claims I said and he really isn't in a position to point the finger when he thought Souness was a top boss and better than Keegan.

Not much motivation to come back from that at the twilight of his career when he was largely here to bump up his retirement fund.

Sol Campbell will have thankfully been the last of that sort of transfer move under Ashley's ownership.

Not all in a row though.

better than Keegan ? :lol:

Didn't you also say that we were better off with Wise than Keegan and keeping that DOF system like Spurs also had at the time ?

i think the only time I wanted a DOF was for Sir Bob to go upstairs near the end of his reign. I dont think he should have been ejected from the club completely. Bringing Wise into the club was a shocking idea. Though I dont think that was MA's idea. I dont know who was advising him at the time but they need their nuts chopping.

i think the only time I wanted a DOF was for Sir Bob to go upstairs near the end of his reign. I dont think he should have been ejected from the club completely. Bringing Wise into the club was a shocking idea. Though I dont think that was MA's idea. I dont know who was advising him at the time but they need their nuts chopping.

at the end of the day, its just a title. Baggio bought into the theory that the DOF was responsible for all the signings and sales of the club, thus rendering the appointment of a manager irrelevant and giving the club the continuity factor ie the manager assumes the role of "coach" as happens on the continent.

I said that all the DOF was [including the role of Sir Bobby which of course retaining him as a scout was an excellent idea as well as a statesman] in effect a Head Scout but the manager of the club was the all important figure who was responsible for all the hiring and firing of his staff and the signing and selling of players, because ultimately it is his job on the line and his job rests on how he does in the transfer market and the expectations and demands of the clubs directors/board/owner.

Baggio disagreed, he said that the club ought to incorporate this DOF policy, and as such Wise should be kept at the club rather than Keegan because this system was more important than the personnell.

Of course, its the personnel who matter most, not the system. A club with a manager who knows what he is doing will be the club who gets success, relative success according to their standing and expectations, irrespective of the "system".

So, I'm not bothered about the "system", it is the manager who counts in my book. He can employ a Head Scout and call him his "DOF" or whatever title he likes.

Edited by LeazesMag

Just reading your strange signature Leazes, do you still believe in your first quote from 2007?

when we finish runners up in the premiership I may review it.

Just reading your strange signature Leazes, do you still believe in your first quote from 2007?

Jesus wept. Go back to the pub man.

B5ONK.gif

To review Leazes is not impressed by Krul, Colo, Santon, Jonas, Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Ba or Cisse because we haven't finished 2nd in the league.

Why do people call him a moron again?

B5ONK.gif

:lol:

:lol: I used to love that gif of the blonde girl who looked like she was taking the piss out of what someone was saying, going ner ner ner ne ne nerhhh. Thats a rubbish description but am sure someone will know what i mean.

I can't imagine that Leazes is anything like his online persona in real life, not because I don't think it's possible but because I can't bare the thought of how awful it must be for those around him.

Jesus wept. Go back to the pub man.

what part of "I haven't been to the pub today" do you not understand ?

What is wrong with going to the pub anyway ?

What a big tart :lol:

It's a much more competitive league now, Leazes, what with these megabucks clubs who have displaced themselves like Chelsea and Man City. I think being in with a shot of Champions League this season is nothing short of remarkable.

Toon boss Pardew steals march on rivals with personal check on Vertonghen

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew made a personal check-up on prime transfer target Jan Vertonghen in Ajax's weekend win in Holland.

The Dutch club's star defender and captain is high on the wish list of many of Europe's top clubs, including Arsenal and Manchester City, and is likely to cost around £10million this summer.

Pardew, though, has attempted to steal a march on his rivals by taking his seat in the stands at the Amsterdam Arena as Ajax beat Graafschap 3-1.

Vertonghen has suggested previously that he would prefer a move to Arsenal where he would partner international Thomas Vermaelen in the heart of a vastly improving defence.

He said: 'I have instructed my agent carefully. He knows which clubs I want to join and Arsenal are one of them.'

The Newcastle Evening Chronicle also claim fellow Belgium international Toby Alderweireld, who could also be an option for the Magpies with the player open to a move away from Ajax.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2130430/Newcastle-manager-Alan-Pardew-watches-Jan-Vertonghen.html

Toon boss Pardew steals march on rivals with personal check on Vertonghen

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew made a personal check-up on prime transfer target Jan Vertonghen in Ajax's weekend win in Holland.

The Dutch club's star defender and captain is high on the wish list of many of Europe's top clubs, including Arsenal and Manchester City, and is likely to cost around £10million this summer.

Pardew, though, has attempted to steal a march on his rivals by taking his seat in the stands at the Amsterdam Arena as Ajax beat Graafschap 3-1.

Vertonghen has suggested previously that he would prefer a move to Arsenal where he would partner international Thomas Vermaelen in the heart of a vastly improving defence.

He said: 'I have instructed my agent carefully. He knows which clubs I want to join and Arsenal are one of them.'

The Newcastle Evening Chronicle also claim fellow Belgium international Toby Alderweireld, who could also be an option for the Magpies with the player open to a move away from Ajax.

Source: http://www.dailymail...Vertonghen.html

Personally think Toby will become a better player than the other two.

I think it's as likely Pardew is watching some other player who also took the field in that game. We haven't been known to show our cards lately, which I like.