NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

He'd be a brilliant signing if we pulled it off.

£10million is steep though.

as much as colo cost iirc, two players at that level at CB would be amazing for us

edit: assuming of course that fee=quality but I have enough faith in the pardew/carr partnership

Edited by Semimental

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a move that indicates a growing confidence that they can steal a Champions League qualification berth away from Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea, Newcastle are keeping their options open in the transfer market in the event that they qualify for European football’s money-spinner.

Vertonghen, who is valued at £10 million, has already said a move to Arsenal to play alongside his fellow Belgian international, Thomas Vermaelen, would interest him.

Manchester United and Manchester City have also taken a look at the Ajax captain, but his main priority is to sign for a club in the Champions League and Newcastle feel they are still in the running to land him.

Newcastle’s chief scout, Graham Carr, has been monitoring Vertonghen for at least two years and Pardew, the manager, has also been to see the 24 year-old play on a number of occasions.

However, their interest appeared to have ended as a deal for FC Twente centre-back Douglas has virtually been agreed, which should mean that the Brazilian defender moves to Tyneside for around £5 million in the summer.

Pardew, though, is keen to bring in two players in that position, as well as Holland left-back Erick Pieters from PSV Eindhoven, and as Newcastle’s push for a Champions League gains momentum, Vertonghen remains a viable option.

Newcastle believe they will be able to make two quick signings when the transfer window opens — expected to be Douglas and Pieters - although they know they remain vulnerable to losing players as well after doing so well this term.

Chelsea are interested in goalkeeper Tim Krul — surprisingly not on the shortlist for PFA Young Player of the Year — and Demba Ba’s £7 million release clause means he will not be short of offers after such a successful first season at Newcastle.

Managing director Derek Llambias has also indicated that Newcastle anticipate bids for defensive midfielder Cheick Tiote.

Newcastle would want at least £15 million for the highly-rated Krul, who has been one of the key players behind the side’s resurgence this season. Spurs have also show interest but would baulk at the fee.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/9208004/Newcastle-United-manager-Alan-Pardew-to-consider-signing-Ajaxs-Jan-Vertonghen-after-going-Dutch.html?

Would love to add Douglas and Pieters quickly after the window opens. I'm still not sure why they keep constantly linking Krul with Chelsea mind considering Cech is still only around 29 which is young for a keeper and they just paid around £20m for a young keeper.

Krul is vital. He just signed a new deal tbh. I know negative people will say " it's so his price is higher etc etc " but if we finish high up in the league it would be going backwards selling top players.

Would love to add Douglas and Pieters quickly after the window opens. I'm still not sure why they keep constantly linking Krul with Chelsea mind considering Cech is still only around 29 which is young for a keeper and they just paid around £20m for a young keeper.

Eh?

I'd rather lose either Ba or Tiote before we lost Krul to be honest. Young quality keepers with PL experience are very very rare.

why should we lose anybody ?

Krul is vital. He just signed a new deal tbh. I know negative people will say " it's so his price is higher etc etc " but if we finish high up in the league it would be going backwards selling top players.

why do you disagree with me and question my support for the club when I say that ?

I'd rather lose either Ba or Tiote before we lost Krul to be honest. Young quality keepers with PL experience are very very rare.

Why should it concern you in the least when the current setup clearly doesn't sit favourably with you ?

Why should it concern you in the least when the current setup clearly doesn't sit favourably with you ?

I've got 1350 reasons for wanting the setup to sit favourably with me. What do you think is the way to consolidate and "make further progress" ? It isn't so long ago that you broadly agreed with me about the direction and ambitions of the club. Has a dozen or so games suddenly changed your mind ? I don't believe you are that gullible.

I had (and still do) massive reservations about what he's doing with regards the renaming of the ground and placement of SD sponsorship everywhere he can. The last time I had issues with the footballing side of things was last summer when I thought we were making a massive mistake in getting rid of the likes of Nolan, Enrique, Barton, etc. I was wrong and have admitted so since early into this season.

Trouble is you see an admission of being wrong as a sign of weakness. Couldn't be further from the truth.

The demands of European football will not catch Newcastle United unawares. Chief Sports Writer Mark Douglas investigates the positives and pitfalls of United’s probable Continental adventure.

derek-llambias-image-3-549049528.jpg

DEREK Llambias was back at the Newcastle United training ground yesterday afternoon.

Where once these whistlestop visits from United’s managing director would have prompted anxiety from a Tyneside public permanently braced for the next bad news story, now they can allow themselves to dream a little.

Llambias’ presence is no longer a reason for Newcastle’s long-suffering support to presume the worst, and yesterday’s informal summit with boss Alan Pardew is a sign that United are alive to the possibilities their terrific season presents.

Inevitably, plans have been changed now that Andy Carroll – the Geordie gift that keeps on giving – has scored the goal that all but guarantees Europa League football for his former club.

The Journal understands that United’s probable European adventure means the club will now be plotting a different route this summer – one that opens doors to substantial squad strengthening as opposed to the “one or two” blue-chip performers they were originally looking to recruit.

For a start, plans for pre-season are on ice until United know where they are with regards to Europe. A long-haul tour is on the cards but the Far East will have to wait if Newcastle are saddled with pre-qualifying for one of the Continent’s two knockout competitions.

Then there is the recruitment drive that has been months in the planning. Newcastle are aiming to bring in “four or five” players capable of challenging for a first team spot, with a number in the Mehdi Abeid mould to bubble away under the first-team squad.

What hasn’t been finalised yet – and what might well have been the subject of yesterday’s detailed discussions – is what happens if United’s brilliant season reaps a top four prize.

Quite simply, no-one had made detailed plans for a Champions League campaign at this point. Even at the start of the month it seemed no more than a pipe dream, but Newcastle’s spring surge, combined with the collapse of Tottenham, has made it necessary for United to start assembling a contingency.

It offers brilliant possibilities, of course, but also some pitfalls that United – in the age of sensible stewardship down at St James’ Park – are eager to dodge.

Any estimations need to be couched in caveats. Newcastle sit fifth and even though the portents might look positive they remain outsiders in the chase for the Champions League, their inexperience a possible problem against opponents who have done all of this before.

But United’s new trinity of Llambias, Graham Carr and Pardew are not the sort to leave anything to chance.

Along with finance director John Irving they will be crunching the numbers and assessing where Newcastle’s new-found status at European contenders will leave them before this summer’s transfer scramble.

One respected football finance expert believes that Newcastle would be in line to bank at least £17million of extra revenue if they made it into the group stages of the Champions League.

That figure could rise to an eye-watering £20m if United land one of the big guns and ensure full houses for all of their home fixtures.

Vinay Bedi, of highly respected investment management firm Brewin Dolphin, believes that earning a place at Europe’s top table would be a bona fide game changer for United.

“The premise of football is Champions League gets you everywhere and the rest are nowhere,” he said.

“If you can consistently be in that group it completely changes the whole perspective of the business. Even just a one-off visit is very nice. It really does just kick on the whole football club and bring in some serious amounts of revenue.

“If you can get there and get a couple of wins in the group stages you are talking about substantial amounts of money. It is £600,000 for a win in the group stages – and that is just prize money.

“Newcastle will actually make more money from winning a couple of games than if they win the Europa League, which is a sobering statistic. It is a massive, massive difference.

“Rangers made something in the region of £17.5million by making it through to the group stages a couple of years ago.

“Now with Newcastle and the potential for full houses, it is realistic to say they could make £20million by qualifying for the group stages and winning even one or two games.”

An extra £20m would be huge for a club that recently posted turnover figures of £88.4million. To put it in perspective, their entire match day revenue in 2010/11 was £24.3million.

Of course there is a flip-side, hence the club’s main men starting to discuss the ramifications of completing their supposed Mission: Impossible.

Leeds United remain the elephant in the room when it comes to the Champions League – proof that chasing the dream can be extremely costly.

A squad strengthening programme must be a managed process, and if players are recruited on long and costly contracts that cash must be accounted for. It is difficult to see Mike Ashley deviating from the current path, however. Beday thinks it unlikely.

“Newcastle, like any club, have got to be extremely careful,” he said. “I bow to the knowledge of my friends who are Newcastle supporters who say they would need to strengthen their squad if they were to get into the Champions League but practically, that creates issues.

“There is the burden of extra wages and of course, Leeds managed to bankrupt themselves signing players with money they thought would be coming in from the Champions League.

“It looks as though Mike Ashley is running things prudently though, so I would not see that as a problem.”

I had (and still do) massive reservations about what he's doing with regards the renaming of the ground and placement of SD sponsorship everywhere he can. The last time I had issues with the footballing side of things was last summer when I thought we were making a massive mistake in getting rid of the likes of Nolan, Enrique, Barton, etc. I was wrong and have admitted so since early into this season.

Trouble is you see an admission of being wrong as a sign of weakness. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Is that directed at me ? If so, I agree with your last line completely, and I think others should read that comment and take it on board.

If, or when, I'm convinced that the current owner will challenge the top clubs in the way that we ought to do, and he is only going to do that by keeping our best players and backing his manager, without withholding cash from the manager from sales, then I will be quite happy to admit that i am wrong. However, I still believe this will not happen, and as this course of action has only occured in one transfer window, it is far too premature to say anything has changed.

Do you think, if he starts selling players and we don't build on this, the vast majority of people on here will then admit that they have also been wrong ?

I don't care about the advertising if the money went to the manager of the club and he showed the ambition. If the money is put back into the footballing side of the club ie given to the manager, he can do what he likes for me. My problem is that this is not happening, meaning he is using the club for the benefit of the Sports Company and putting the sports company first, which is not what I want as a paying supporter.

Melbourne Heart defender Curtis Good has been handed a trial by Newcastle United.

The Australian youth international is already a regular in the A-League with Melbourne, and is regarded very highly in Australia.

A former captain of the Australian Institute of Sport, Good joined Melbourne last year and the left-footed central defender has impressed.

Now Newcastle have invited him for a trial and he has flown to the North East of England to train on Tyneside with a view to earning a move.

"I always wondered what it was like compared to Australia, but I didn't expect it to happen this early, so I'm just going to enjoy the experience," Good told the club's official website.

"It was organised through my manager. They saw me play, though I'm not sure if it was in the A-League or with the national team, but it just happened to come about.

"It's just a short trial. I'll just train and play games, and if they're happy, I'll hopefully get an offer, but if not, then I'll just enjoy the experience."

http://www1.skysport...11095/7679141/?

Edited by Baggio

Is that directed at me ? If so, I agree with your last line completely, and I think others should read that comment and take it on board.

If, or when, I'm convinced that the current owner will challenge the top clubs in the way that we ought to do, and he is only going to do that by keeping our best players and backing his manager, without withholding cash from the manager from sales, then I will be quite happy to admit that i am wrong. However, I still believe this will not happen, and as this course of action has only occured in one transfer window, it is far too premature to say anything has changed.

Do you think, if he starts selling players and we don't build on this, the vast majority of people on here will then admit that they have also been wrong ?

I don't care about the advertising if the money went to the manager of the club and he showed the ambition. If the money is put back into the footballing side of the club ie given to the manager, he can do what he likes for me. My problem is that this is not happening, meaning he is using the club for the benefit of the Sports Company and putting the sports company first, which is not what I want as a paying supporter.

We're challenging the top clubs for the first time in about a decade though.

We're challenging the top clubs for the first time in about a decade though.

Stop quoting him man, I have him on ignore now...

smiley_notlistening.gif

Eh?

Got mixed up with De Gea's fee, he cost them around £10m though and they don't need a keeper.

Edited by Howay

Eh?

Got mixed up with De Gea's fee, he cost them around £10m though and they don't need a keeper.

:huh:

Chelsea didn't buy De Gea?

From Baggio's post no. 692, about the differences between the champions league and the europa league:

“If you can get there and get a couple of wins in the group stages you are talking about substantial amounts of money. It is £600,000 for a win in the group stages – and that is just prize money.

“Newcastle will actually make more money from winning a couple of games than if they win the Europa League, which is a sobering statistic. It is a massive, massive difference.

“Rangers made something in the region of £17.5million by making it through to the group stages a couple of years ago.

Top 4 is what we need, anything other than that is likely to be not worth it financially. Fuckin sad state of affairs, but there you go. Thats UEFA for you.

From Baggio's post no. 692, about the differences between the champions league and the europa league:

Top 4 is what we need, anything other than that is likely to be not worth it financially. Fuckin sad state of affairs, but there you go. Thats UEFA for you.

Fulham made £12 million from their UEFA cup run the other year so it's definitely worth it.

A similar run should generate us more than that if the fans get behind it and go to the games.

Baggio, I cant read any of your posts. White font on a white background - sort it out!

It's when I'm posting articles off my phone I presume, I can read it so I can't tell if it's a white background or not.