mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

14 hours ago, Renton said:

Yarm is Elysium. 

I wouldnt quite go that far, but it's a decent little high street with plenty pubs and mostly occupied units which can't be said for most high streets. 

On 07/10/2023 at 22:40, Renton said:

This is a great first post. Not a lot I can add, I fully agree. The term only entered the lexicon in 2015, and I can't remember it used until the Qatar World Cup was in the final preparation stages. 

Like the term woke, I just think it's a meaningless lazy coverall for people people who don't want Saudi investment and influence in the PL or just don't like Nufc.

But for the reasons you describe, it just doesn't make sense in this case and the motivations I think are purely to use Nufc as a status symbol and an advertising board for various other Saudi interests, both national and the general PIf portfolio. Who knows, maybe eventually we could even turn a direct profit. 

I do have some sympathy for people who oppose Saudi BTW, the ones who can articulate why it is not good for the English game in general. Fair enough, I mainly agree tbh. But what I won't countenance is people who purely use it as a weapon to attack our club and fans. Those people can get fucked. 

I think a lot of people get caught up in viewing things through their own cultural lense and biases. You have to remember, to middle eastern countries such as Saudi, they view the practices we see as despicable as just and par for the course. The concept of sports washing would imply that they feel guilty or ashamed of their practices and were trying to cover it up through smoke and mirrors involving sport. In reality they seem to view the west's approach to criminals and dissidents as  strange and unusual. I'm not defending the policies of the House of Saud here at all, far from it, but I find when dealing with international cultural understanding and politics it's easy to assess the situation through the lense of your own culture and sensibilities.

The Muslim religion has existed since the 7th century and the Arabic and Berber culture even longer, and is very explicit about how to govern the population and how morals and ethics should be adhered to. Unlike Christianity which has been seen as malleable and open to interpretation with major reforms coming through the protestant reformation and later the Vatican 2 reforms, Islam is seen as absolute and unchanging by its scholars.

Again I am not defending this and also at the same time I'm also not going to judge. It is what it is and many studies and surveys have shown that an overwhelming majority of Muslims like it as it is (Pew have done multiple exhaustive worldwide surveys with gigantic sample sizes https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-overview/). As an English man (yes I see myself as such, we still live in the empire here, and I was raised by an English mother), I'm cautious about forcing beliefs on to other cultures as it's just perpetuating a colonial mindset and it really hasn't worked out well on our last three forays with the US into Muslim countries over the past 3 decades. If anything it's made them more fundamental and murderey. 

What I'm getting at here is that the sportswashing label is ridiculous on the face of it. These middle eastern theocracies, caliphates and absolute monarchies don't care about what the west thinks of their behaviours. They do care about prestige and the accumulation of wealth, deeds and status, especially when competing with rival states.

As you said people are going to judge us based on how our owners govern and project their power. If you dig slightly under the surface of any of the other owners of other teams you're going to find a sleazy underbelly. US billionaires, Chinese concerns, South East Asian oligarchs, Russians etc etc. Until the Prem adopts a model like the Bundesliga that puts the power into the hands of the fans (lol good luck), it's going to continue to be dominated by unscrupulous types who are inflating their own egos with spare change from their unbelievable fortunes.

When it comes down to it people don't like change. They like the established order of top 6 teams and sometimes an outsider like Leicester busting through. When someone like us comes through to upset the apple cart and oust some of the top 6, they will use what they can to delegitimise us. This happens to be easy with a very obviously nefarious power as the owner. However, glass houses and all that.

Sorry I've been on the vodka again tonight and I've written another essay.

• Like 8

Our Mackem friends are now literally convinced we're fixing matches, not just Exile here, but thearge majority who post. 

Screenshot_20231008_180508_Chrome.thumb.jpg.75b996e409ae6b21357962d4edb1330d.jpg

I mean, how would this work in practice, how many people would have to be involved to fix the Sheffield United game? Genuinely amazed anyone could believe this and further, if you did why you would watch the sport. 

• Haha 4

They’ve also paid Facebook to make it look like the the Sunderland Amnesty International group had hardly any members (or activity) 👍🏻

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SouthAussieMag said:

I think a lot of people get caught up in viewing things through their own cultural lense and biases. You have to remember, to middle eastern countries such as Saudi, they view the practices we see as despicable as just and par for the course. The concept of sports washing would imply that they feel guilty or ashamed of their practices and were trying to cover it up through smoke and mirrors involving sport. In reality they seem to view the west's approach to criminals and dissidents as  strange and unusual. I'm not defending the policies of the House of Saud here at all, far from it, but I find when dealing with international cultural understanding and politics it's easy to assess the situation through the lense of your own culture and sensibilities.

The Muslim religion has existed since the 7th century and the Arabic and Berber culture even longer, and is very explicit about how to govern the population and how morals and ethics should be adhered to. Unlike Christianity which has been seen as malleable and open to interpretation with major reforms coming through the protestant reformation and later the Vatican 2 reforms, Islam is seen as absolute and unchanging by its scholars.

Again I am not defending this and also at the same time I'm also not going to judge. It is what it is and many studies and surveys have shown that an overwhelming majority of Muslims like it as it is (Pew have done multiple exhaustive worldwide surveys with gigantic sample sizes https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-overview/). As an English man (yes I see myself as such, we still live in the empire here, and I was raised by an English mother), I'm cautious about forcing beliefs on to other cultures as it's just perpetuating a colonial mindset and it really hasn't worked out well on our last three forays with the US into Muslim countries over the past 3 decades. If anything it's made them more fundamental and murderey. 

What I'm getting at here is that the sportswashing label is ridiculous on the face of it. These middle eastern theocracies, caliphates and absolute monarchies don't care about what the west thinks of their behaviours. They do care about prestige and the accumulation of wealth, deeds and status, especially when competing with rival states.

As you said people are going to judge us based on how our owners govern and project their power. If you dig slightly under the surface of any of the other owners of other teams you're going to find a sleazy underbelly. US billionaires, Chinese concerns, South East Asian oligarchs, Russians etc etc. Until the Prem adopts a model like the Bundesliga that puts the power into the hands of the fans (lol good luck), it's going to continue to be dominated by unscrupulous types who are inflating their own egos with spare change from their unbelievable fortunes.

When it comes down to it people don't like change. They like the established order of top 6 teams and sometimes an outsider like Leicester busting through. When someone like us comes through to upset the apple cart and oust some of the top 6, they will use what they can to delegitimise us. This happens to be easy with a very obviously nefarious power as the owner. However, glass houses and all that.

Sorry I've been on the vodka again tonight and I've written another essay.

Fucking hell does the Vodka in Oz have that drug from limitless in it? A couple of trebles and I'd be writing gibberish with my face an inch from my phone to try and make out the letters.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah you're going to fit in around here. The word to post ratio looks very promising.

I dunno, he's a bit long winded.

-----> ;) <-------

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

IMG_20231009_100352.jpg.da5f849159c401c44c0a9139851e7233.jpg

'Ah waz coming out of the ground and this Boro fan was sticking four fingaz up at iz, whilst at the sayam time spitting on mayad up wimmins and bairns so strayat away ah waz about to clayn him out with a one-a but the Northumbria police, (all fucking mags by the way), got theya horses in the way. Ah pointed out that the Boro fans were takking liberties with the Mayad up wimmins and bairns but theya wouldn't let us past so ah called the horse a mag cunt and ee didn't knaas what to say, he just kept his head down, and used his hooves to cover his eyes with his blinkers. Disgrayasful beyhaviour from the Boro fans and the Mag Northumbria police, like.'

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

Looks like he is wearing a swimming cap and googles 

Watch the video a bit longer and you'll see him simultaneously vomitting and shitting himself after his swim in Rurker beach. 

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

They fucking copy everything we do them cunts. Shipyards, striped shirts, equestrian bare knuckle boxing, what's next? They'll be bought out by the Iranian Investment Fund and deny sports washing exists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7