mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

1 hour ago, Alex said:

They’re so hung up on boundaries. Particularly ones which are 50 years or more out of date* :lol: Also have to love how a photo taken in Newcastle, showing the river the city sits by and the town on the other side of the river (part of the same urban conurbation) is the same as taking a photo of Sunderland and claiming it’s New York :lol: 

*Gateshead falling within the historical county of Durham. Meaning it belongs to Sunderland, despite being overwhelmingly black and white for as long as anyone can remember. 

same photo taken with a special mackem lens...

GKMfnGYW4AAmD5c.jpeg.thumb.jpg.1023a674b54a8b0f64e690c29c2ffd3c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Maybe he means the New York near the Silverlink?

:lol: I did think about that one near Shiremoor but even that comparison doesn’t work 

1 hour ago, RobElliott said:

Wonder if he was a stander or a sitter?

They’ve got their own category (seater) 

:lol:

Is this the same Sunderland who put a bid in for the potential Euro games and showed pics of Newcastle in the bid? Or the same Sunderland where in their TV documentary, (which captivated the world and made safc everybody's global second team), they showed their (briefly) manager, Chris Coleman, (when he wasn't getting threatened by one of their fans), wax lyrical about how beautiful it was was up in Sunderland as the camera panned out showing Tynemouth priory and King Edwards bay? That same Sunderland? 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

The other thing is Newcastle and Gateshead actually have a joint initiative to market themselves and attract tourism, business etc. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Is this the same Sunderland who put a bid in for the potential Euro games and showed pics of Newcastle in the bid? Or the same Sunderland where in their TV documentary, (which captivated the world and made safc everybody's global second team), they showed their (briefly) manager, Chris Coleman, (when he wasn't getting threatened by one of their fans), wax lyrical about how beautiful it was was up in Sunderland as the camera panned out showing Tynemouth priory and King Edwards bay? That same Sunderland? 

"Tyne and WEAR, marra. What's your is ours, and what's ours yiz dinnit want. Wuh dinnit like yews mags until wey neeyd ti yews yi much better arkeytectural triumphs to get peypal inta sun'lin. Penshaw monument just doesn't have the same impact, marra"

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

The same documentary that filmed a mackem comedian taking the stage at that well known Sunderland venue, the Stand comedy club, the Bigg Market, Sunderland?

I honestly couldn't give a shit about NE regional appropriation in any case, but to get upset about the Gateshead quayside is weird. It's literally on the banks of the Tyne linked to Newcastle by 7 bridges. On a wider note, the boundaries of Newcastle have always been a bit of an anomaly. South London, is still London, South of the Clyde in Galsgow is still Glasgow, I fully accept that the SoL is in Sunderland despite being on the Northern side of the Wear away from the "city" centre. Don't get me started on North Tyneside which has been arbitrarily disected off despite almost all of it being coniguous with the city. For a host of reasons, this has been problematic for the development of the city, as it has led to a lack of joined up planning. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alex said:

:lol: I did think about that one near Shiremoor but even that comparison doesn’t work 

Didn't realise it was named after New York, New York. Apparently there was another village called Philadelphia as well.

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Didn't realise it was named after New York, New York. Apparently there was another village called Philadelphia as well.

Philadelphia is a little village near Sunderland isn’t it? Although the original Philadelphia (what the American one is named after) was Greek in antiquity iirc 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Philadelphia is a little village near Sunderland isn’t it? Although the original Philadelphia (what the American one is named after) was Greek in antiquity iirc 

Etymologically sounds about right. Phileo - love. Delphia - whatever that means. Wonder if it's owt to do with Delphi?

By the way, it’s funny that they brag about having a beach (Seaburn) whereas Newcastle doesn’t. Yet they’ll have filmed that scene at Tynemouth as there’ll have been less chance of running into any mackems 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Just looked it up it was in Asia Minor, then Greek now in modern Turkey. The name means: the city of him who loves his brother. So that’s why they call Phillie the city of brotherly love. I never knew that. Btw, I read a theory a little while back that the Oracle of Delphi was just some poor lass off her tits from inhaling volcanic gases. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, BobHopeandNoHope said:

Didn’t they say they hated him for some reason, a while ago. Walking on the cracks in the pavement or some poxy thing. 

His second coming wasn’t what they hoped for. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

Just looked it up it was in Asia Minor, then Greek now in modern Turkey. The name means: the city of him who loves his brother. So that’s why they call Phillie the city of brotherly love. I never knew that. Btw, I read a theory a little while back that the Oracle of Delphi was just some poor lass off her tits from inhaling volcanic gases. 

Bronze Age Greek version of this tbh ;)

'Hippy crack' trend: Nitrous oxide 'more dangerous than cocaine

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Been listening to the greek Myths and Heroes stuff by Stephen Fry. That stuff still fascinates me, same as the Norse pantheon. 

Probably why I like the Superhero stuff now, they're just modern Gods and Demigods. 

Back to the mackens, they're closer to Huddersfield in 22nd than they are Norwich in 6th. 

• Like 2