mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

2 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Blaydon races a song about people from Newcastle going to see the races

If we are going to objective about this, which I think we should, what evidence do you have to back this up? Or are you just part of the conspiracy? 

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Benwell Floyd  :lol:

I used to work in the Archer years ago, most bands would turn up about 6pm for an 8pm start. 
Benwell Floyd were there at 12 midday, setting up a lighting and sound rig like you’ve never seen outside of stadium bands. 
In a pub. 
They were fucking amazing :lol:

Bon Geordie used to regularly play The Archer. No idea if they were any good as I only ever went in there to play pool. Great name though. 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

It’s Fist Jnr’s 13th birthday today, so we had family round this afternoon for drinks and nipples in the glorious sunshine. 

But I couldn’t shake the feeling that it was all just ruined because two musicians who I couldn’t give a flying fuck about had gigs at the regions two stadiums.… at the same time. 

As if the cost of living crisis, global warming, and creaky joints wasn’t bad enough, they throw this at me. 

Ruined, I tell thee. 

Weather was pretty shit on the coast again until about 3pm, been like thia all week. A couple of years ago this went on for months. Cold grey mornings before the sun could break theough by which time its too fucking late.

Wish global warming would get a move on so I can temporarily gloat during the 10 year window when I get a Med climate whilst you islanders roast to death, before we all do anyway. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

Bon Geordie used to regularly play Tye Archer. No idea if they were any good as I only ever went in there to play pool. Great name though. 

Loved the Archer back in the day, like you I don't recall any bands either. Was a bit of a sixth form hang out iirc. 

Edit: come to think of it I have fond memories of all my underage drinking hangouts. Odd that. :)

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Weather was pretty shit on the coast again until about 3pm, been like thia all week. A couple of years ago this went on for months. Cold grey mornings before the sun could break theough by which time its too fucking late.

Wish global warming would get a move on so I can temporarily gloat during the 10 year window when I get a Med climate whilst you islanders roast to death, before we all do anyway. 

That’s a selfish and irresponsible position which I thoroughly endorse. More chance of being overheated by Vladimir’s ‘tactical’ weapons than anything else

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

You not gluing yerself to the tarmac then😂

disclaimer anyone down the coast and wants to avoid the existential crisis that is happening NOW,divvint glue one’s self to the causeway up holy island way mind🤔

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Bon Geordie used to regularly play The Archer. No idea if they were any good as I only ever went in there to play pool. Great name though. 

:lol:
I remember them. Great name, shite band. 

Best name of all the regular bands that would play there was the Star-Spangled Chestwigs. 

Lovely people too. 

After Midnight were a Clapton tribute band that were as dull and boring as you’d imagine, although I had a great night at a lock-in after one of their gigs when Brian Johnson turned up to see his old mate from Geordie, who was their bassist. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I remember them. Great name, shite band. 

Best name of all the regular bands that would play there was the Star-Spangled Chestwigs. 

Lovely people too. 

After Midnight were a Clapton tribute band that were as dull and boring as you’d imagine, although I had a great night at a lock-in after one of their gigs when Brian Johnson turned up to see his old mate from Geordie, who was their bassist. 

Saw After Midnight and your review is spot on.

They supported East Side Torpedoes at the Park Hotel iirc (Torpedoes we're good).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Christ, a review of Newcastle 1980s pub tribute bands. Niche.

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Although they aren’t a tribute band, it feels wrong not to mention The Hipthrusters- incredible band. :lol:
They’d only play a couple of times a year at our gaff, but the lock-ins afterwards were insane. 
Usually ended with everyone getting kicked out by the cleaner when she started her shift on Sunday morning ( she was John Davison the boxer’s mam. 
4ft tall, 3 stone wet, and had a wig that seemed to always align with magnetic north regardless of which way she was facing, but you didn’t argue with her :lol:

I was friendly with Rob, their guitarist, who worked behind the bar in the Queens Arms on Wallsend High St. and I’d call in once a week to get my baccy and weed , openly sold over the bar :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Saw After Midnight and your review is spot on.

They supported East Side Torpedoes at the Park Hotel iirc (Torpedoes we're good).

I remember my dad having a vinyl copy of ‘Coast to Coast’ when I was a kid

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Gutted Brian Johnson played the 2nd gig btw. I was at the first night and got to hear Sam Fenders Brother do a shit Springsteen cover instead 

A mate posted a video of them doing Back in Black. 
The band were great- Brian was Brian :lol:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Renton said:

Just wait until they find out his first band was called " Geordie".

First single (yes, I am that old, Google it youngsters) i bought was by Geordie.  Can't remember what it was though :smile:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

First single (yes, I am that old, Google it youngsters) i bought was by Geordie.  Can't remember what it was though :smile:

Living on a Prayer? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Well, if its anything like AC/DC it will be shite, so I'll give it a miss thanks. ;)

5 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

we had this 45rpm classic spinning on the record player in our house.....

as well as this timeless masterpiece.....

@Renton

hang your head in shame, these boys were and remain legends.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

hang your head in shame, these boys were and remain legends.

I know they are, just not cup of char mate, absolute fair play to those it is though. I'll say one thing about metal it's probably the only genre that has lasted the distance, with places like Trillians and The Percy still going strong. 

As for me, I've got this mix soundtrack for long car journeys with the kids where we've all chipped in our music selections. Gets played loads and confuses the fuck out of Spotify what music I like. Kids' music is Taylor Swift, Meghan Trainor, whatever the shite of the day is. Wife is increasingly into folk and country, which I can tolerate. My music is mainly what you'd expect, Bowie, indie bands like Suede, Pulp, Radiohead, Libertines, other classic stuff thrown in from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. Not much contemporary. Anyway, Spotify classifies and displays on my car each tack, and mine are usually in the "Rock and Oldies" category. :( Even the fucking car makes me feel old. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

I know they are, just not cup of char mate, absolute fair play to those it is though. I'll say one thing about metal it's probably the only genre that has lasted the distance, with places like Trillians and The Percy still going strong. 

As for me, I've got this mix soundtrack for long car journeys with the kids where we've all chipped in our music selections. Gets played loads and confuses the fuck out of Spotify what music I like. Kids' music is Taylor Swift, Meghan Trainor, whatever the shite of the day is. Wife is increasingly into folk and country, which I can tolerate. My music is mainly what you'd expect, Bowie, indie bands like Suede, Pulp, Radiohead, Libertines, other classic stuff thrown in from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. Not much contemporary. Anyway, Spotify classifies and displays on my car each tack, and mine are usually in the "Rock and Oldies" category. :( Even the fucking car makes me feel old. 

I'm not sure I'd put 'geordie's lost his liggie' in the metal genre to be honest!

did you listen to it? it's a version of the folk song 'geordie's lost his penka' a geordie folk song of unknown origin, or so says wiki.

however it's widely recognised that when it speeds up at the end for the last few seconds was what inspired queen to do the same when they wrote their abysmal dirge 'bohemian rhapsody' a couple of years later.

it remains one of the greatest travesties of the musical world that mercury and his mates scored a huge hit despite the blatant plagiarism. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

I'm not sure I'd put 'geordie's lost his liggie' in the metal genre to be honest!

did you listen to it? it's a version of the folk song 'geordie's lost his penka' a geordie folk song of unknown origin, or so says wiki.

however it's widely recognised that when it speeds up at the end for the last few seconds was what inspired queen to do the same when they wrote their abysmal dirge 'bohemian rhapsody' a couple of years later.

it remains one of the greatest travesties of the musical world that mercury and his mates scored a huge hit despite the blatant plagiarism. 

I was purely referring to AC/DC.

But I can honestly say I can see no sembalnce at all betweem "Geordie's lost his liggie" and Bohemian Rhapsody. To the extent I'm thinking I'm being whooshed? Not sure May, Rogers and Deacon need to worry about litigation tbh. And yeah, you're on thin ice now like. I quite like Queen, especially their earlier Prog Rock stuff. There, I've said it. I might stick on some Marillion now. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I was purely referring to AC/DC.

But I can honestly say I can see no sembalnce at all betweem "Geordie's lost his liggie" and Bohemian Rhapsody. To the extent I'm thinking I'm being whooshed? Not sure May, Rogers and Deacon need to worry about litigation tbh. And yeah, you're on thin ice now like. I quite like Queen, especially their earlier Prog Rock stuff. There, I've said it. I might stick on some Marillion now. 

aye, I made the last bit up. well apart from bohemian rhapsody being shit!   :)

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

aye, I made the last bit up. well apart from bohemian rhapsody being shit!   :)

All a cunning ploy to make me listen to it, gotcha. 

Back on track. Mackem's are smelly inbred tramps. SMB. 

• Haha 4