mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

19 hours ago, Renton said:

Spurs developed their new stadium on the existing site by rotating the pitch 90 degrees didn't they. I am sure I have heard a similar thing could be done at SJP. I would be massively against relocation anywhere else in the city personally. Apparently the Arena site is not big enough so it would have to go out of the city centre. FUCK. THAT.

Does anyone know what is happening to the plot in front of the Metro station? It has been used recently to store building materials but has been cleared in the last month. I have heard its so building can commence on theat poxy office block which will forever impeded extension of the Gallowgate. I hope not. 

They moved the pitch slightly north west but kept the orientation the same. The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff was the one which had the pitch rotated.

19 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah i saw that too, but where would we play while the work was done? spurs were able to play to play at wembley. can't see us playing at the stadium of light somehow 

If there's any positives to be taken from the Qatar World Cup it's the knowledge that a fairly decent temporary stadium can be constructed and then demolished once again. I think that's our only hope with regards to invasive regeneration of the SJP site.

13 hours ago, Dougle said:

Surely something similar shouldn’t be beyond us?

Toon  002.jpg

Wouldn't get planning persmission due to the proximity of Leazes Terrace, even with the move. The issues are to do with the interference of natural light rather than the structures themselves. Despite moving the pitch North West, over 50% of the west face of Leazes Terrace would suffer a degredation in natural light. 

The disappointment for me was when the breweries were razed. This offered the perfect opportunity to move the site west slightly so that a natural bowl stadium could have been constructed. It would have mean the loss of Barrack Road but they'd most likely have been able to overcome that given the precedent that Blenheim Street was lost as a result of the St. James' Boulevard development. 

All it needed was ambitious, visionary owners. Sadly, we had Mike Ashley.

8 minutes ago, Craig said:

They moved the pitch slightly north west but kept the orientation the same. The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff was the one which had the pitch rotated.

If there's any positives to be taken from the Qatar World Cup it's the knowledge that a fairly decent temporary stadium can be constructed and then demolished once again. I think that's our only hope with regards to invasive regeneration of the SJP site.

Wouldn't get planning persmission due to the proximity of Leazes Terrace, even with the move. The issues are to do with the interference of natural light rather than the structures themselves. Despite moving the pitch North West, over 50% of the west face of Leazes Terrace would suffer a degredation in natural light. 

The disappointment for me was when the breweries were razed. This offered the perfect opportunity to move the site west slightly so that a natural bowl stadium could have been constructed. It would have mean the loss of Barrack Road but they'd most likely have been able to overcome that given the precedent that Blenheim Street was lost as a result of the St. James' Boulevard development. 

All it needed was ambitious, visionary owners. Sadly, we had Mike Ashley.

I work in the Helix (Science city), previously the brewery site (just behind the Sandman). The plot would have been large enough for a stadium of just about any size. Mind, I think it was a 20 to 30 year project and was ear marked for the current purpose a long, long time ago, I would have though before Ashley even. Plus don't forget that the Leazes/Milburn stand had not long been engineered and would have been a large part of Ashley's investment. I'm not going to blame him on this one but yeah, in retrospect, perhaps a missed opportunity going back more to the Hall years. 

• Like 1

It’s projection though innit?? An actual thing they are masters of.

They really did kiss the arses of the two chancers who rode into sunderland a few tears ago.

“Charlie” and “The Don”. Welcomed like gods.

Grown men saying they were crying with emotion and love for these jokers.

I’m sure when “Ellis” sailed in from the US he was greeted with the same fickle shite.

• Haha 4

Peak mackem was when the absolute chancers got them to replace the stadium seats for free. Never in my life has the world witnessed such weird sycophancy as this. And it was soo fucking obvious what con men they were.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Dougle said:

It’s projection though innit?? An actual thing they are masters of.

They really did kiss the arses of the two chancers who rode into sunderland a few tears ago.

“Charlie” and “The Don”. Welcomed like gods.

Grown men saying they were crying with emotion and love for these jokers.

I’m sure when “Ellis” sailed in from the US he was greeted with the same fickle shite.

See also the billionaire who doesn’t have access to much money 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Craig said:

The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff was the one which had the pitch rotated.

What’s the story there? I thought it was purpose built for the rugby World Cup. As the old Cardiff Arms Park is still around, isn’t it? 

7 hours ago, Renton said:

Peak mackem was when the absolute chancers got them to replace the stadium seats for free. Never in my life has the world witnessed such weird sycophancy as this. And it was soo fucking obvious what con men they were.

Cant remember who it was but someone on here made a good point amidst the piss taking of something like “I’d like to see the risk assessment done on letting a load of untrained imbeciles loose with work tools” and it’s always stuck with me. 

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Renton said:

:lol:

These imagined scenarios are so deranged they're funny.

Screenshot_20221214_215724_Chrome.jpg

'He could drive up to the chinkeys and give a young fifteyn year old lassey who lewks no younger than twenty nine ah swear, a good fingering behind it and they'd still sing he shags who he wants, marra. FTM.'

'Nar man, dinna use that one! Stick to actual made up stuff about beheadings an that.'

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Alex said:

What’s the story there? I thought it was purpose built for the rugby World Cup. As the old Cardiff Arms Park is still around, isn’t it? 

This is what it used to look like:

Then and Now #1. The old National Stadium and the Millennium Stadium  sitting on the bank of the River Taff in the heart of Cardiff. : r/Wales

And this is it today:

Aerial view the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales which is used for  rugby union, football home internationals and concerts Stock Photo - Alamy

I think Cardiff Arms Park is (and always has been) the smaller ground adjacent. The predecessor to the Principality Stadium was known as the National Stadium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Craig said:

This is what it used to look like:

Then and Now #1. The old National Stadium and the Millennium Stadium  sitting on the bank of the River Taff in the heart of Cardiff. : r/Wales

And this is it today:

Aerial view the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales which is used for  rugby union, football home internationals and concerts Stock Photo - Alamy

I think Cardiff Arms Park is (and always has been) the smaller ground adjacent. The predecessor to the Principality Stadium was known as the National Stadium.

Ah, thanks. I didn’t know that. It was always referred to as Cardiff Arms Park but was technically The National Stadium at… with the other ground adjacent to it?  It was probably a big area of parkland originally which covers the whole area or something like that I’m guessing

36 minutes ago, Alex said:

Ah, thanks. I didn’t know that. It was always referred to as Cardiff Arms Park but was technically The National Stadium at… with the other ground adjacent to it?  It was probably a big area of parkland originally which covers the whole area or something like that I’m guessing

Seems the previous National Stadium was less than 30 years old when it was demolished. This is its predecessor. Looks to me like 'Arms Park' used to be a cricket pitch.

Cardiff Arms Park - History Points

Cardiff Arms Park - History Points

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 1

I’m sure the first England v Scotland football match was at a cricket ground in Glasgow. West of Scotland Cricket Ground or something. One of those things from those football trivia books 

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’m sure the first England v Scotland football match was at a cricket ground in Glasgow. West of Scotland Cricket Ground or something. One of those things from those football trivia books 

Yep - Hamilton Crescent in Partick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

Lads - can we move the stadium stuff sideways to the SJP thread?

This is more of a....laughing at Sunderland environment. 

(forum kettling) 

Obsessed tbh. 

• Haha 5

Why do the mackems seem to associate the European super league with us? :lol: 

No lads, that's was the clubs you inexplicably worship...Man U/Man City/Liverpool etc 

Morons 

• Like 2