mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Thing is, despite the claims of how classy they are, and apart from the obviously dire football, honestly, going to the SoL sounds like a fucking nioghtmare. I've been there three times, twice for largely unsuccessful NUFC games (drew, lost iirc) and once when England played Turkey where the place was a racist hell hole. But reading stuff on what happens there on the SMB, and watching STID (including the episode where the camera man was assaulted), you just think why the fuck does anybody want to do this?

In contrast nothing like this has ever happened at the hundreds of NUFC matches I have attended home or away (although you do get knackers in the latter). Worst its been at SJP is just a general sense of apathy under Ashley. But even the relegation seasons (i.e. in championship) were pretty brilliant in retrospect and now the place is postively buzzing again, the atomosphere is palpable and its  positively joyful. You come away from the match feeling better.  I'd say its a pretty unique atmosphere tbh, exceeding anything you'll witness at places like Anfield, Old Trafford, and the Emirates. I reckon this is what really riles the mackems deep down, they know this is true. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

Thing is, despite the claims of how classy they are, and apart from the obviously dire football, honestly, going to the SoL sounds like a fucking nioghtmare. I've been there three times, twice for largely unsuccessful NUFC games (drew, lost iirc) and once when England played Turkey where the place was a racist hell hole. But reading stuff on what happens there on the SMB, and watching STID (including the episode where the camera man was assaulted), you just think why the fuck does anybody want to do this?

In contrast nothing like this has ever happened at the hundreds of NUFC matches I have attended home or away (although you do get knackers in the latter). Worst its been at SJP is just a general sense of apathy under Ashley. But even the relegation seasons (i.e. in championship) were pretty brilliant in retrospect and now the place is postively buzzing again, the atomosphere is palpable and its  positively joyful. You come away from the match feeling better.  I'd say its a pretty unique atmosphere tbh, exceeding anything you'll witness at places like Anfield, Old Trafford, and the Emirates. I reckon this is what really riles the mackems deep down, they know this is true. 

Sportwashed terrorist cunt !! erm.....Marra

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

no official attendance released by the club, presumably because they're too embarrassed to claim there was thirty odd thousand in there last night.

I put their game on for 15 minutes last night before the wife claimed the tele for the strictly results show (I know, I know, shameful) and it looked to me their lower bowl was just over half full. odd really when every mlf in the entire world is a regular match attendee.

That explains the low crowd obviously. 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

no official attendance released by the club, presumably because they're too embarrassed to claim there was thirty odd thousand in there last night.

I put their game on for 15 minutes last night before the wife claimed the tele for the strictly results show (I know, I know, shameful) and it looked to me their lower bowl was just over half full. odd really when every mlf in the entire world is a regular match attendee.

Isn't there a legal obligation for them to publicise the attendance, in order to validate the safety certificate should there be an incident? 

I tried to get tickets for me and the cousin but literally couldn't. Bournemouth. In the league cup. In December. 

It's beginning to look a lot like sportswashed 🎶🎶🎶

• Haha 4

Like the "debate" over which city is better, the mackems need to let this attendance thing go. The mackems DO get very good attendances for a club who's natural position is in the upper reaches of the championship or relagation zone of the premiership. From one of the poorest areas in the country. But it is never going to match NUFC's who have a bigger more affluent catchment area, becoming an increasingly international attaction, and are on a hugely upward trajectory. Like everything else with that lot, theor constant comparisons with us does them no favours and just makes them miserable. So long may it continue. :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

'The trouble with last night's low attendance was that the Leo moon opposed Saturn in Aquarius, engendering distance between the fans and the stadium of light. We might have experienced this literally through being physically separated from our beloved team. Difficulty in making contact can cause us to feel lonely and unloved. However, we might also experience distance on an emotional level but even though we may struggle to get to the game rest assured we'll still be classy. FTM.'

Russell_Granted73MLF

Best excuse yet to be fair. :good:

• Haha 9

It’s funny how poisonous it turns in such a short space of time. If you speak to one of their more sensible fans they’ll tell you this season was about staying up and consolidating. But a sizeable number seem to have the delusions they try to attribute to us. I think the standard of the league is actually doing them a favour. They’re 6 points off third but the same amount off the relegation spots. Can anyone actually remember an occasion where we were chasing an equaliser in an important league game and the ground was practically empty? They might turn up in numbers (paying non-league prices) but they’re nothing like the fan base they think they are. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Like the "debate" over which city is better, the mackems need to let this attendance thing go. The mackems DO get very good attendances for a club who's natural position is in the upper reaches of the championship or relagation zone of the premiership. From one of the poorest areas in the country. But it is never going to match NUFC's who have a bigger more affluent catchment area, becoming an increasingly international attaction, and are on a hugely upward trajectory. Like everything else with that lot, theor constant comparisons with us does them no favours and just makes them miserable. So long may it continue. :thumbup:

Sunderland is an inherently sinful, blasphemous town & is possibly responsible for our late monarchs final resting place, hell. 

A city has a cathedral, as god ordained. Sunderland "city" has a "minister" only it's not a minister (like York, which is a cathedral) Sunderland minister is a parochial church, they just changed the name a few years after the town won the name raffle. Satanic.

Tourism wise....

there's a Glass Factory! Who wouldn't want to see how glass is made, it'll surely inspire kids growing up in a region bereft of industry. 

Kwik-Fit - actually necessary if you've had to drive round their 1970s death trap roads, although you may be better off abandoning the vehicle and jumping on the nearest metro to a safe space.

Gregg's there are several thousand Gregg's in the town. Which is necessary, it's a famous name, even in rascalry and you wouldn't want to risk anything local.

The Sunderland Eye Hospital, much like Middlesbrough inspired Blade Runner, the eye hospital inspired various horror movies including the video game franchise Resident Evil. 

The Airshow - watch the air show from the comfort of Newcastle International with a pint of a coffee OR go mad max and risk crowd violence by going to Sunderland. 

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Sunderland is an inherently sinful, blasphemous town & is possibly responsible for our late monarchs final resting place, hell. 

A city has a cathedral, as god ordained. Sunderland "city" has a "minister" only it's not a minister (like York, which is a cathedral) Sunderland minister is a parochial church, they just changed the name a few years after the town won the name raffle. Satanic.

Tourism wise....

there's a Glass Factory! Who wouldn't want to see how glass is made, it'll surely inspire kids growing up in a region bereft of industry. 

Kwik-Fit - actually necessary if you've had to drive round their 1970s death trap roads, although you may be better off abandoning the vehicle and jumping on the nearest metro to a safe space.

Gregg's there are several thousand Gregg's in the town. Which is necessary, it's a famous name, even in rascalry and you wouldn't want to risk anything local.

The Sunderland Eye Hospital, much like Middlesbrough inspired Blade Runner, the eye hospital inspired various horror movies including the video game franchise Resident Evil. 

The Airshow - watch the air show from the comfort of Newcastle International with a pint of a coffee OR go mad max and risk crowd violence by going to Sunderland. 

FYP. Airshow cancelled as of 2022. :rip:

'I heard there was a rumour going around that the mags, not content with claiming Jill Scott as one of their own were now trying to claim penshaw monument for themselves the desperate kernts. They were going to turn it into a mosque so half the fans on their way to the SoL did an about turn and headed straight for the penshaw monument. The mags got wind of them coming and to nobody's surprise were on their toes before the 80s Roker hardmen got there which proves once again their arses drop when they come against us! Gerrin!!! FTM.'

Dangermows.

No wonder there was a sparse crowd! 😱

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

'I heard there was a rumour going around that the mags, not content with claiming Jill Scott as one of their own were now trying to claim penshaw monument for themselves the desperate kernts. They were going to turn it into a mosque so half the fans on their way to the SoL did an about turn and headed straight for the penshaw monument. The mags got wind of them coming and to nobody's surprise were on their toes before the 80s Roker hardmen got there which proves once again their arses drop when they come against us! Gerrin!!! FTM.'

Dangermows.

No wonder there was a sparse crowd! 😱

"The Mags man marra, alwaays nicking stuff and claiming it like, just like them black n white bastard bords they're named after. Sage, Baltic, Angel of the North. Y'knaas only half the Tyne Bridge and millenium Bridge is in Poocastle? FTM".

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s funny how poisonous it turns in such a short space of time. If you speak to one of their more sensible fans they’ll tell you this season was about staying up and consolidating. But a sizeable number seem to have the delusions they try to attribute to us. I think the standard of the league is actually doing them a favour. They’re 6 points off third but the same amount off the relegation spots. Can anyone actually remember an occasion where we were chasing an equaliser in an important league game and the ground was practically empty? They might turn up in numbers (paying non-league prices) but they’re nothing like the fan base they think they are. 

Had they won last night they'd have been 7th, 3pts off 3rd. Performance metrics have them slap bang in the middle of the league. They're one of the most intense pressing sides in the league.

They should be pleased with the obvious progress from League One Play Off winners, to comfortably ensconced in Championship midtable within a season. That's no mean feat. 

Instead you've got the biggest Sunderland message board genuinely discussing getting rid of the manager. Kind of delewded, don'tcha think?

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Tom said:

Tourism wise....

Hang on a sec. The air show is no more

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

The Office What GIF

Ranked! The 100 best football stadiums in Britain | FourFourTwo

Stadium of Light is 42nd. 

Huddersfield, Brighton, Wolves are ahead of them.

To my eyes, there's fuck all to make the Stadium of Light stand out from all the other flatpack stadia built in the 90s. And bar the seat replacement trick that Methven pulled, they've done nowt to give it a facelift, right? Then you take into account the area around it. It's all industrial buildings or grim wasteland.

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

To my eyes, there's fuck all to make the Stadium of Light stand out from all the other flatpack stadia built in the 90s. And bar the seat replacement trick that Methven pulled, they've done nowt to give it a facelift, right? Then you take into account the area around it. It's all industrial buildings or grim wasteland.

I think some of the brickwork on their (West?) stand is quite nice and marks it slightly above the Reynold's arena for aesthetics tbh.

But anyway Fish, why not post this on the rlevant thread on the SMB? ... Oh. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Edited by trophyshy
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, The Fish said:

TBH I find that ranking a pile of shit. Celtic Park at number 2 despite the fact 3/4 of their ground are shitty replicas of the Gallowgate Stand only with columns blocking part of the view. 

Aside from the facade on the Holte End which is fairly impressive, I don't get the fascination with Villa Park either.