Official Olympics 2012 Thread

catmag

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gatlin denied ever doping didnt he? At least Chambers was man enough to admit it. I think they should be banned for life though. People like them and Marion Jones that fuck up the sport. Any idea who came 2nd when Marion Jones dominated the Olympics 2000? Such a shame that their limelight was snatched from them and then their medals upgraded 7/8 years later.

She bottled it. Sorry like but a professional tennis player should be able to backhand it into the court when under no pressure.

Delighted for Murray today, a gold medal beating both Djokovic AND Federer? Absolutely phenomenal and truly well deserved. :D

Robson clearly did very well to get a silver medal but she made some ugly unforced errors in the final. The much-higher ranked Heather Watson was quite rightly miffed at Robson's selection over her. The decision looked more political than sporting. Watson being mixed race doesn't make it look any better for the LTA (not exactly famous for being a progressive, modern institution) either.

Anyway, fantastic that GB got two medals in the tennis. So pleased for Murray, for him to beat Federer like that a month on from Wimbledon is up there with the events of last night for me.

I feel sorry for Laura Robson there, the BBC got her and Murray on there for an interview with Logan and McEnroe then decided not to ask her a single question. Twats.

Overall the BBC coverage so far has been good and very comprehensive but their interviewing policies leave a lot to be desired. Their insensitivity both in terms of when they conduct it (right after the event when the athlete is at their most emotional and probably doesn't want to speak to a camera) and also what they (the interviewers) say has benn ridiculous at times.

She is only 18, this is the biggest thing she's ever done, shame some have to be critical of her. Why not ask her a question? She's not stupid and she is an adult.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Allan Wells on with Gaby at the mo.

He's 60 ! gadzooks

Looks like he could still run even time though ;)

We moved to Scotland a couple of months before he won the gold...remember seeing the photo finish shot on the front of the paper the next morning and the old man carefully putting it in a draw for posterity..fuck knows if theyve still got it like, but its the thought that counts :)

Overall the BBC coverage so far has been good and very comprehensive but their interviewing policies leave a lot to be desired. Their insensitivity both in terms of when they conduct the (right after the event when the athlete is at their most emotional and probably doesn't want to speak to a camera) and also what they (the interviewers) say has benn ridiculous at times.

She is only 18, this is the biggest thing she's ever done, shame some have to be critical of her. Why not ask her a question? She's not stupid and she is an adult.

Same thing yesterday when those two fellas only managed silver in the rowing. As soon as stepped off the boat they had Inverdale in their face who started the interview with 'I know there's nothing you want to do less than talk to is right now but you have to'. Give the lads a minute ffs.

Looks like he could still run even time though ;)

We moved to Scotland a couple of months before he won the gold...remember seeing the photo finish shot on the front of the paper the next morning and the old man carefully putting it in a draw for posterity..fuck knows if theyve still got it like, but its the thought that counts :)

I was 7 at the time and can vaguely remember watching it.

My uncle went to Moscow just before that Olympics and brought me back a couple of pin badges, one of the bear wotsit mascot and one of the logo which must still be at my folks' somewhere.

He also fetched me back a little matal model Sputnik which I was fascinated by :)

Wolfy, if I find it it's yours mate ;)

Same thing yesterday when those two fellas only managed silver in the rowing. As soon as stepped off the boat they had Inverdale in their face who started the interview with 'I know there's nothing you want to do less than talk to is right now but you have to'. Give the lads a minute ffs.

What was the story with the one that had to be helped walking ?

Looked like he was going to carc it, eyes rolling and allsorts.

Was it the emotion/grief or exhaustion ?

I hope he didn't get billed for the broken seat

Chuffed for Bolt but i absolutely detest Gatlin and wish he had no part in the Olympics. I don't think Chambers should have been there either.

However, my new favourite 100m athlete is Adam Gemili who was a Dagenham and Redbridge footballer until January this year, is 18 years old and is the most naturally gifted sprinter this country has seen in a long time. And he's just a sweetheart - politely asking the BBC if he could say happy birthday to his mam when he was interviewed :)

I agree, what a talent and a real darling too!

Got home last night from my trip to Londoon. Got to see beach volleyball and then saw some of the women's marathon. Went on the piss at the Olympic stadium too(had no tickets to any events though), brilliant atmosphere around the place. Delighted I went.

1 out of 9 100m finalist were Gay.

On another note, not one single person from the mens & womens 100 mtere final was white. I find that quite interesting. Is it just a coincidence or is there some sort of physiological reason why or a social reason (and no, I dont mean they are quicker at running from crimes)