Official Olympics 2012 Thread

catmag

McCartney is a scouse Cath word that's not in question, but he's an old Cath word at the same time. It was more symbolic, and Hey Jude is a classic song. He's too old to sing, and him trying to get all the blokes and women singing, was like trying to get a Fulham crowd to sing in the League Cup Second Round at home to Macclesfield. As J69 said (ironic coming from him like) the cool kids are trying their best to find something to moan about when little exists.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCartney is a scouse Cath word that's not in question, but he's an old Cath word at the same time. It was more symbolic, and Hey Jude is a classic song. He's too old to sing, and him trying to get all the blokes and women singing, was like trying to get a Fulham crowd to sing in the League Cup Second Round at home to Macclesfield. As J69 said (ironic coming from him like) the cool kids are trying their best to find something to moan about when little exists.

Like what? McCartney was shit so people said that he was shit. Everything else was great and so people said it was great.

i'm not one to get schmultzy but i thought the whole thing was bloody brilliant. i was choking up on more than one occasion. such a good production and a reminder of why we should all be proud to be british.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Like what? McCartney was shit so people said that he was shit. Everything else was great and so people said it was great.

He's an old man, who represented the most popular band in human history who also happens to be British, as I said it was more a representation of British culture than the latest X factor winning performance. Pretty obvious a 70 year old man isn't going to be at his vocal peak, staggers me that people can't see that.

:lol: Aye and consequently he was shit. But shush you can't say that cos if you do it's only cos you want to look cool.

"But he was symbolically shit... " :lol:

I'd say it's more accurate to say that certain people think it's somehow unpatriotic to criticise any of what happened last night.

To reiterate, the opening ceremony was one of the best things I've ever seen and everyone should be rightly proud of it. But Paul McCartney is a 70 year old man who can no longer sing and using him to bring it to a close was a mistake.

Edited by Gemmill

Nobody said anything other than the fact that his performance was crap. The man isn't immune from criticism, he wasn't as bad at the Queen's Jubilee concert so age isn't the only factor.

Edited by ewerk

Isn't it also Stevie's position that the Beatles weren't that good and certainly not a patch on Phil Collins btw? :razz:

Most overrated band I can think of in my opinion, but they're an easily recognisable part of British culture, given the fact they're the most famous band in the history of the world. He's a scouse cath word but recognisable to the world which is possibly why he was included. The Arctic Monkeys were shit, because they are shit.

Or AC/DC or Bowie

Think Bowie pretty much retired a bit ago due to him saying his voice was fucking up and wanted to be remembered as what he was at his best.

Most overrated band I can think of in my opinion, but they're an easily recognisable part of British culture, given the fact they're the most famous band in the history of the world. He's a scouse cath word but recognisable to the world which is possibly why he was included. The Arctic Monkeys were shit, because they are shit.

Thought the Arctic Monkeys were ok.

But then at 43, I'm so fucking desperate to be cool I'll say owt.

I kinda get why "Macca" was included. But I think that part would have been better if he had been supported. While they ain't my thing, even if Take That or someone had flanked him.

But, I'd not let one bit detract from what was overall "a jolly good show" ;)

Not a fan of their genre.

Given their popularity, surely I'm not cool if I don't like them?

;)

err...I think theyre brilliant and I'm a sad twat of 42..so, in summary, dunno :-/

If you dont like that sort of music theres no real argument.

The Pet Shop Boys played a few tunes for the crowds at Wimbledon this morning, would you have enjoyed that? :)