Official Olympics 2012 Thread

catmag

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was out last night so watched the ceremony on iPlayer this afternoon.

Just staggering. Welled up a few times. The lighting of the cauldron surpassed all my expectations.

Thought McCartney was ok - I thought the Arctic Monkeys were a more unwelcome intrusion.

I watched a 3 minute run though of the openeing ceremony - can't comment on the musical elements but the concept of forging the Olympic rings as a reference to the industrial revolution and Britain's place in world history was absolute fucking genius.

I watched a 3 minute run though of the openeing ceremony - can't comment on the musical elements but the concept of forging the Olympic rings as a reference to the industrial revolution and Britain's place in world history was absolute fucking genius.

couldn't compete with bejing on the grand spectacle scale (their import costs are non existent for one), so we played the rich history card. and what a card. no other country can compete with that.

i've been enjoying all the minority sports today: badminton, archery, shooting.

Watched that and gave it commentary from "Bullseye"...

That Opening Ceremony - that bit with the house was utter balls.

Loved the industrial revolution stuff.

Watched it in a crowded pub where a very angry fat lesbian (there was a butch of angry lesbians all sat in a corner with GB gear on) was having a go at anyone who dared stand near and affect her view of the big screen.

It seriously was NJS, and brilliantly executed. Like you I'm not patriotic but I thought 'we're alright' last night. Best opening ever imo..

Agreed. Watched that and thought "Aye, we're pretty good like" which I think was Boyle's intention.

Loved the handball today, mind. Genuinely exciting, fast paced sport with some amazing lasses. All round victory.

Anyway, the big story of the night was that German fella giving it the full Nazi salute when the German athletes walked in. :o

I saw that, he was going for it as well, as if he was saluting every German individual in that team within the timeframe he was on screen.

Agreed. I'm not the most patriotic lad in the world but i thought Boyle nailed it. It showed the world everything that's great about Britain. A rich, culture, history and sense of humour. I was holding back tears of pride on more than one occasion. He deserves a night hood.

That Opening Ceremony - that bit with the house was utter balls.

Loved the industrial revolution stuff.

Watched it in a crowded pub where a very angry fat lesbian (there was a butch of angry lesbians all sat in a corner with GB gear on) was having a go at anyone who dared stand near and affect her view of the big screen.

A butch of angry lesbians? What an excellent collective noun! :)