Steven Taylor

JawD

bit harsh. it took his first season with us, when they were all shite tbf, for him to adapt to the english game, but since then he's generally been our best defender. that is until the last season or two when his age caught up with him. i think his best days are behind him but he's still our most composed centre half. he's not being helped by the lack of experienced, solid defenders around him.

i read that louise taylor bint saying we should move him to the centre midfield holding role, where he's excelled for argentina. might not be a bad idea if we had one or two other centre backs who weren't either shit or always injured. as it is, he has to start at centre half.

I don't feel it's all that harsh tbh, he was an utter embarrassment that year. I understand it was a new league and the rest of the team struggled but he was an utter fucking horror show, maybe harsh to some but as a 10m player who was being paid sixty grand or so a week it was shambolic, the team was utter dross but he was a part of it. He rescued himself with a canny season in the Championship and the two Premier league campaigns afterwards but he has again been fucking wank in the two after them and so far this season (bar the Man Utd game).

He hasn't been helped no but he has also basically tried to quit the team when it was going rough to fuck off back home. He has also seriously lacked composure whenever he comes up against a player who has the beating of him, normally ending with a pathetic childish lashing out and an early walk down the tunnel.

I remember him playing in midfield for us once (maybe twice?) and it was a disaster, I have absolutely zero tolerance for Louise Taylor and her useless opinions on football so I agree with Alex that I would love to see the games in which he excelled there for Argentina.

Now I do say all of this from a terrible mood and the truly embarrassing performances of the shambolic playing staff of Newcastle United aren't helping that, so perhaps I am being harsh on Colocinni but at the moment I don't feel I am. He has also failed to recognise that his hair cut is absolutely fucking shit, it's an embarrassment and he has failed to see it in six fucking years at the club so I hold that against him too, at least Krul seems to have made attempts to rectify the horrific outings his hair has had over the years.

Edited by Howay

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: you're not being that harsh, he's been shit this season, that's for sure (but then so have the rest other than janmaat tbf), and the thing about going back to argentine was a farce.

i don't agree he's been crap for the majority of his career though. i'd say he's been more good than bad during his time with us, and one of the few defenders we've had in his time able to bring the ball out from the back and actually find a team mate.

not that that excuses the barnet :lol:

:lol: you're not being that harsh, he's been shit this season, that's for sure (but then so have the rest other than janmaat tbf), and the thing about going back to argentine was a farce.

i don't agree he's been crap for the majority of his career though. i'd say he's been more good than bad during his time with us, and one of the few defenders we've had in his time able to bring the ball out from the back and actually find a team mate.

not that that excuses the barnet :lol:

Aye you're probably right, but I'm in a foul mood at the moment and watching his horrific haircut bob about as we lose another game in a pathetic manner (on about West Ham didn't see the shambles last night which I don't think he played in) meant he has been carefully selected as the target of my ire. I think the main thing about Colo is it has been such a shocking turn from team of the year 'this bloke is fucking unreal' to it genuinely looking like a bloke in a wig taking his position that it draws (perhaps unfair) anger from people, being captain of the total shit show going on for the last few seasons also doesn't help.

I don't feel it's all that harsh tbh, he was an utter embarrassment that year. I understand it was a new league and the rest of the team struggled but he was an utter fucking horror show, maybe harsh to some but as a 10m player who was being paid sixty grand or so a week it was shambolic, the team was utter dross but he was a part of it. He rescued himself with a canny season in the Championship and the two Premier league campaigns afterwards but he has again been fucking wank in the two after them and so far this season (bar the Man Utd game).

He hasn't been helped no but he has also basically tried to quit the team when it was going rough to fuck off back home. He has also seriously lacked composure whenever he comes up against a player who has the beating of him, normally ending with a pathetic childish lashing out and an early walk down the tunnel.

I remember him playing in midfield for us once (maybe twice?) and it was a disaster, I have absolutely zero tolerance for Louise Taylor and her useless opinions on football so I agree with Alex that I would love to see the games in which he excelled there for Argentina.

Now I do say all of this from a terrible mood and the truly embarrassing performances of the shambolic playing staff of Newcastle United aren't helping that, so perhaps I am being harsh on Colocinni but at the moment I don't feel I am. He has also failed to recognise that his hair cut is absolutely fucking shit, it's an embarrassment and he has failed to see it in six fucking years at the club so I hold that against him too, at least Krul seems to have made attempts to rectify the horrific outings his hair has had over the years.

:lol: Pretty much how I see it. I've said a few times it was a really negative step giving him a new contract.

:lol: Pretty much how I see it. I've said a few times it was a really negative step giving him a new contract.

Aye especially a two year one. He's clearly still capable of performing but I think it's going to get rarer and rarer, the performances in between those rare good ones will also get worse. The saddest part for me is that teams have known you can attack Newcastle with pace through the middle for years now and we've only now took steps to address it with Mbemba, it's stuff like that where there is a glaring weakness that has taken years to address that worries me the most about our set up.

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen on physioroom that he's done his hamstring and out until December. Was this common knowledge or what? :icon_lol:

Edit, read the thread and turns out it was. Anyway we've got 13 injuries, team with second most has 7.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

Probably in a minority, but I think the lad gets a tough time with a number of regulars here. If we could wangle a pay per play agreement I'd keep him for at least another 2 seasons. He's definitely better backup to the first team than most of our other options, in fact, if he were fit, he'd be better than Colo at the moment.

Aye put him on the same bus as Taylor move along nothing to see here.

Driven by Marveaux with Aarons run along behind trying to get onboard.

Probably in a minority, but I think the lad gets a tough time with a number of regulars here. If we could wangle a pay per play agreement I'd keep him for at least another 2 seasons. He's definitely better backup to the first team than most of our other options, in fact, if he were fit, he'd be better than Colo at the moment.

That's not the ringing endorsement of his quality that you think it is.

Ideally we should have:

Senior 1st team 1st choice centre back. A leader at the back. (We have Colo, we'd be better off with a Hangeland)

Two >24yr old Centre backs that provide cover for each other. OK if they're still learning the game, but already need to be capable and don't make you cringe if they're the starting partnership. (We've Mbemba but we need another centre back of his calibre)

Younger promising centre half. (Someone like Lascelles is fine)

Taylor (and Williamson) doesn't fit any of those spots for me, add his injury record and his fucking pointing and I'd lose no sleep if he were sold to Birmingham City for £2.5m in the summer.

If he were fit (which is of course the main problem) I'd play him ahead of Colo at the minute.

Dunno, we don't need PASHUN and a bloke pointing, we need a calm headed leader. Colo is usually calm, not brilliant at the whole leading thing though. Taylor would be canny if Mbemba was shying away from challenges and not putting his body on the line which was costing us games. It's not that costing us games though, it's a combination of quality opposition and a limited threat from the wings or central midfield.

Dunno, we don't need PASHUN and a bloke pointing, we need a calm headed leader. Colo is usually calm, not brilliant at the whole leading thing though. Taylor would be canny if Mbemba was shying away from challenges and not putting his body on the line which was costing us games. It's not that costing us games though, it's a combination of quality opposition and a limited threat from the wings or central midfield.

Colo has managed about five decent games since the begining of last season and has played in most of them. I've got no more time for him at this stage. He doesn't lead, he gets pushed around by big lumps and outpaced by quicker players, and he constantly gets caught out following his man deep and the opposition just play in behind him. In no way am I suggesting that the answer to the problem is Steven Taylor, we need another centreback as everyone knew in the summer, but short term (again I stress if he was fit) I'd be putting Taylor in.