Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think with NZ in particular there would be a temporary extension of our current EU trade deal in the event of no deal.

Its not the trade deal that would do it sadly, we're servicing the UK mortgage market and are paid by a UK company.

If a mix of house prices dropping and the pound devaluing vs the dollar happens then we won't be financially viable anymore.

3 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Have you got a blue passport? 

Apparantly they’re worth 10 extra somethings. 

( Seriously though, what a kick in the knackers, if your job goes, and you have to leave, do you get any help relocating?) 

Nope, a relatively new red one is all mine and it will be for as long as I can hold onto it!

Nothing formal on the relocation front, my boss is a good bloke and I wouldn't be surprised if he helped out.

Otherwise though it would be up to me to pay our way back home, settle any rental contract we have at the time, I don't even know how long I'd be allowed to stay in the country after the fact.

One lives in hope however that it will not come to that!

What (And Why) I’m Stockpiling For Brexit.

Posted by Jack Monroe   

A few months ago I was approached by several newspapers asking me to write a piece on stockpiling for Brexit. I refused, saying that I didn’t want to contribute to food shortages, panic and alarm across the country.
This afternoon, I took a deep breath, and changed my mind. I have been overwhelmingly sad about the future of this country for two and a half years.

And so, I’m writing a list of what I’m stockpiling for the worst-case Brexit. I hope beyond all hope that we never need to draw on these reserves. But I am no longer prepared to take the risk. 

Carbs:
Several kinds of pasta
Brown and white rice
Self raising flour
Fast action yeast
Tinned potatoes (Fibre, Vit C, Vit B6, Iron, Potassium)
Stuffing mix
Instant mash

Oats

Cornflakes
Super noodles

Fruit:
Tinned mandarins (Fibre, Thiamin, Vit A, Vit C)
Tinned pears (Fibre, Vit C)
Tinned peaches (Vit C, Vit E, Folate)
Tinned prunes (Fibre, Potassium, Iron, Retinol, Vit K, Beta-Carotene)
Tinned cherries (Vitamin C, Potassium, Antioxidants)
Tinned grapefruit (Vit A, Vit C, Calcium, B6, Magnesium)
Tinned pineapple (Calcium, Vit C, Folate, Niacin, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron, Zinc)

Veg:
Tinned tomatoes (Vit A, Vit B6, Vit C, Lycopene, Iron, Calcium, Magnesium)
Tinned corn (Vit C, Vit B6,Protein, Calcium, Fibre, Potassium)
Tinned spinach (B6, Phosphorous, Zinc, Fibre, Protein, Vit A, Vit C, Riboflavin, Folate, Calcium, 
Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper, Manganese)
Tinned carrots (Vit C, Vit E, Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Fibre, Vit A, Vit K, Vit B6, Copper, Manganese)
Dried mushrooms – (Fibre, Vit B6, Folate, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc, Manganese, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Copper, Selenium)

Protein:
Tinned kidney beans (Folate, Fibre, Copper, Manganese, Phosphorous, Vit B1, Iron, Potassium, Magnesium)
Tinned chickpeas (Fibre, Iron, Zinc, Phosphorous, Vit B)
Tinned cannelini beans (Protein, B12, Iron, Potassium, Zinc)
Tinned chickpeas (Protein, Iron, Fibre, Vit B6, Magnesium, Calcium, Vit C, Vit A)
Tinned borlotti beans (Fibre, Protein, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium, Vit B6, Iron)
Sardines/Pilchards (Delivers 148% RDA of B12 per 100g, also rich in B6, Magnesium, Iron, Vit A, Calcium, Vit D and Protein)
Mackerel (Delivers 251% Vit D per 100g, and 200% B12 per 100g, plus Protein, Vit B6, Magnesium, Iron, Calcium, Vit A)
Herring roe (Iron, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vit C, Calcium)
Stewed steak (Protein, B12, B6, Iron)
Spam Lite – (Protein, Iron, Vit C)
Dried yellow split peas (Protein, Iron, Vit C, Vit B6, Magnesium, Vit A, Calcium)
Dried red lentils (Fibre, Protein, Iron, Vit B6, Potassium, Magnesium, Vit C, Calcium)
Dried brown lentils (Protein, Fibre, Folate, Manganese, Iron)
Dried black beans (Protein, Iron, Fibre, Vit B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium)

Peanut butter

Dairy etc:
Dried cheese (grim)
UHT milk (Protein, Calcium, B Vitamins)
Coconut milk (Vit C, Iron, Magnesium, Calcium, Fats)

Flavours to make it bearable:
Chicken flavour stock cubes
Vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Basic curry powder
Cumin
Paprika
Chilli
Bottled lemon juice
Garlic puree
Tomato puree
Canned soups – can be used as pasta sauces/stew bases
Anchovies

Olives – jars and cans are cheap!

Mixed herbs

Cider

And another thing:

Tea

Coffee

Sugar

Cooking oil

Tin openers

Washing up liquid

Tin foil

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/11/15/stockpiling-for-brexit/

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Nope, a relatively new red one is all mine and it will be for as long as I can hold onto it!

Nothing formal on the relocation front, my boss is a good bloke and I wouldn't be surprised if he helped out.

Otherwise though it would be up to me to pay our way back home, settle any rental contract we have at the time, I don't even know how long I'd be allowed to stay in the country after the fact.

One lives in hope however that it will not come to that!

Hopefully it doesn't come to all that ball ache, Andrew. Some proper stupid cunts inadvertently fucking with people's lives and somehow they're currently getting away with it. 

4 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Hopefully it doesn't come to all that ball ache, Andrew. Some proper stupid cunts inadvertently fucking with people's lives and somehow they're currently getting away with it. 

Are you sure it is inadvertent? <_<

On 5/4/2018 at 09:54, Christmas Tree said:

We’ve done it to death and I’ve got gardening to do. But if you honestly believe there will be no tomato’s after Brexit :lol:

Ron Howard voiceover: 'There were no tomato's after Brexit'.

Officials are planning to tell Britons to change what they eat in the event of a chaotic Brexit because Whitehall predicts that some sources of fresh food from European Union countries would be cut off.

The government has begun detailed planning on food supplies if Britain leaves without a deal and has identified a number of sites for massive hangars to stockpile food, including one near Carlisle and others in Scotland and on the south coast.

According to plans revealed to The Times, officials do not believe there will be a shortage of food in general. However, there is an issue with some perishable goods that come from the EU. Fruit from Spain or vegetables from the Netherlands could be held up by delays at the border if the EU limits trade or there need to be stringent checks.

Internal planners are actively discussing whether there might be a moment where Britons have to “vary their diet” to cope with any shortages.

Ian Wright, director-general of the Food and Drink Federation, said: “This illustrates the really grisly nature of a no-deal outcome. Quite simply, the British people would not forgive anyone responsible for it coming to pass.”

Some 60 per cent of food is produced in the UK and 40 per cent is imported, according to the federation, although this changes with seasons and in March Britain imports up to 70 per cent.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Ron Howard voiceover: 'There were no tomato's after Brexit'.

Thanks for @Christmas Tree 's quote, I remember him poop pooing the possibility of any food shortages. He has got just about everything wrong possible on this thread. 

Edited by Renton