The Road To Amsterdam ArenA (UEFA Europa League 2013) - THE END

Aeris

Not sure of your point.

Discussing how the match played out and responding to questions is one thing.

Marveaux aside, my only point is that they looked there for the taking and Ben Arfa didn't quite look up to that role on the night.

That's not really different to other people discussing Marveaux or Obertans inclusion / performance.

The original question was about how you would have set us up. If you're happy with how Pardew did then just say so.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original question was about how you would have set us up. If you're happy with how Pardew did then just say so.

Simplistic.

At the start of the game I was fairly happy with the selection (allowing for the fact that I didn't know if HBA is ready).

However what this whole little bitch fest is about is hindsight which is what normally occurs post match.

In hindsight HBA was not quite up to the role. One could say that Marveaux for Sissoko and Sissoko for HBA might have been a better set up given Marveaux's ability on the ball in that position and Sissokos recent scoring form and Shola type presence.

However we will never know.

"They looked there for the taking" :lol:

They looked incredibly organised as you'd expect from their manager, they gave us no time on the ball which is exactly how to play on that pitch. They got tight and pressed us hard, forcing errors and making any short passing very difficult. They were good on the ball, slick, fast paced and had some highly talented players making dangerous runs all over the place. We were there for the taking and they didnt manage it. To say the opposite just proves Gemmill's point.

We were hardly 'there for the taking', Chez. We came with a strategy to stop them playing as much as they restricted our playmakers (Ben Arfa often had 3-4 players crowding him whenever he had the ball) to stop us from playing.

Both teams cancelled each other out. Their best chances were two shots from outside the box that Eliot dealt with perfectly well. Our best chance was clear cut and we should've scored.

One last chance :lol:

You're worse than Cameron at PMQ's

Which post are you referring to that was wummery?

Link

Put up or shut up ;)

No agenda.

Pardew played without a striker and we didn't score. Ben Arfa looked poor from what I saw of him. If I missed glimpses of brilliance then I missed them.

Point being they looked their for the taking last night and an away goal would have made next week so much easier.

Ben Arfa is a very skilful player who on his day is great to watch and occasionally scores a wonder goal. Sorry if I don't get as carried away as some of you do as what he "might be".

Criticising Pardews tactics (again) when the result was a good one, no credit where its due; no balance, no mention of travel distance, conditions, limited squad make up or the pitch surface as mitigation in why we may not have won the game despite having the best chance of the game.

Criticising Ben Arfa (again) because you've gone out on a limb (again) on Merveux. Same as you did with Ferguson.No mention of his very recent return from injury. Bordering on personal criticsm of anyone who doesnt share your opinions in that last sentance, formed as they are instantly and with no going back because of the strength in which you repeatedly hammer them home.

All designed to antagonise and attract attention. That is why you're a wummer.

Now tell us Yohan, how should we have set up to win the game? :)

I don't think CT is a WUM as such, he just knows fuck all about football but thinks he knows everything.

Then when he gets called on something (Tooj on the Marveaux thing) he plays some card, this time the "us oldies of football didn't deal in those new fangled formation things" one which he believes people will think "ah right, fair enough, you weren't talking absolute bollocks you just come from a different era" :lol:

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew:

"It was an absolutely outstanding performance, on a pitch and in conditions that really didn't suit us.

"Our technical players played really well. We controlled the game and limited them to two shots on target and I'm delighted with that.

"We've given ourselves an opportunity to win at home and I fancy us against anybody at home. This is an optimum competition for us."

Anzhi Makhachkala's assistant coach Zeljko Petrovic:

"We played a very complicated game against a team from the Premier League.

"We are not disappointed because we played a good game, tactically a very strong game. Newcastle actually didn't play a Premier League game, they played a European game."

He's right, we were set up to stifle their attack and hopefully hit them on the break. We broke on them a couple of times and if the chances had been finished could have left a very difficult away trip in a strong position.

I wasn't sure about the starting line-up but I think Pardew nailed it last night. Played a team with technical ability all across the pitch. Didn't risk players who'd have (physical) issues with the hard surface.

Haven't read the rest of the thread, so I apologise if I'm repeating owt.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew:

"It was an absolutely outstanding performance, on a pitch and in conditions that really didn't suit us.

"Our technical players played really well. We controlled the game and limited them to two shots on target and I'm delighted with that.

"We've given ourselves an opportunity to win at home and I fancy us against anybody at home. This is an optimum competition for us."

Anzhi Makhachkala's assistant coach Zeljko Petrovic:

"We played a very complicated game against a team from the Premier League.

"We are not disappointed because we played a good game, tactically a very strong game. Newcastle actually didn't play a Premier League game, they played a European game."

He's right, we were set up to stifle their attack and hopefully hit them on the break. We broke on them a couple of times and if the chances had been finished could have left a very difficult away trip in a strong position.

I wasn't sure about the starting line-up but I think Pardew nailed it last night. Played a team with technical ability all across the pitch. Didn't risk players who'd have (physical) issues with the hard surface.

Haven't read the rest of the thread, so I apologise if I'm repeating owt.

We were hardly 'there for the taking', Chez. We came with a strategy to stop them playing as much as they restricted our playmakers (Ben Arfa often had 3-4 players crowding him whenever he had the ball) to stop us from playing.

Both teams cancelled each other out. Their best chances were two shots from outside the box that Eliot dealt with perfectly well. Our best chance was clear cut and we should've scored.

We were, we had Simpson, Obertan and Marveaux in our side, there were plenty of opportunities for them to get at us but for one reason or another they didnt. A lot of those reasons were down to Pardew's tactics so saying it like i did maybe sounds unfair. Some of those reasons were also because they hadnt done their homework on Simpson, Obertan and Marveaux.

Apart from the 2 fine saves, they also had the Eto'o scuffed shot and the chest / volley from the edge of the box which if it had hit the target was a goal. We had the best chance of the game but they will be disappointed not to have got at us more. Yes, a lot to do with our set up but they didnt take advantage of the opportunities our side presented.

Criticising Pardews tactics (again) when the result was a good one, no credit where its due; no balance, no mention of travel distance, conditions, limited squad make up or the pitch surface as mitigation in why we may not have won the game despite having the best chance of the game.

Criticising Ben Arfa (again) because you've gone out on a limb (again) on Merveux. Same as you did with Ferguson.No mention of his very recent return from injury. Bordering on personal criticsm of anyone who doesnt share your opinions in that last sentance, formed as they are instantly and with no going back because of the strength in which you repeatedly hammer them home.

All designed to antagonise and attract attention. That is why you're a wummer.

Now tell us Yohan, how should we have set up to win the game? :)

So one line commenting on Ben Arfas performance is wummery? Grow up you big jessy. Fine if you dont agree but try and understand the difference between wummery and discussing the game.

Re your last point Ive already covered that. ;)

I don't think CT is a WUM as such, he just knows fuck all about football but thinks he knows everything.

Then when he gets called on something (Tooj on the Marveaux thing) he plays some card, this time the "us oldies of football didn't deal in those new fangled formation things" one which he believes people will think "ah right, fair enough, you weren't talking absolute bollocks you just come from a different era" :lol:

The marveaux thing was no different to PL talking last night about false number 9's. Its all terminology that some are more accustomed to than others.

I was spot on with Marveaux.

So one line commenting on Ben Arfas performance is wummery? Grow up you big jessy. Fine if you dont agree but try and understand the difference between wummery and discussing the game.

Re your last point Ive already covered that. ;)

It is wummery when you roll out the same old shit every day CT. You've an agenda which is intended to provoke. Doesnt bother me in the slightest, I actively enjoy you making a twat of yourself daily. It makes this place good crack and you love the attention.

The marveaux thing was no different to PL talking last night about false number 9's. Its all terminology that some are more accustomed to than others.

I was spot on with Marveaux.

I don't understand how some are more accustomed to these terminologies than you? Surely if you follow football over a number of years it means you know more, not less?

Sorry but you come across as someone who has gotten a little bored with mumsnet so have decided to give football a go, however like the scared bloke who has ended up in prison you have decided to show you are not to be messed with, puffed out your chest and tried to show your dominance by kicking off against the big boys with your silly agendas :lol:

It's a fine line between playing with no striker, limiting them to very few chances and coming away with a good draw, (very good draw had it been a score draw), or going with no outlet up front, conceding then having to chase the game at home and being vulnerable to them on the counter with them looking for the priceless away goal. I'll give Pardew the benefit of the doubt with the service of the pitch and certain players joints maybe not being up to it but hold my hand up to thinking that team had no chance. We've a chance now in this tie as I'm hoping we'll have a more balanced line up next week at home. Also, we wont get away with playing Marveaux and Obertan in the same side again so this needs addressed for the next time. We all know Obertan and what he brings, his decision making is very poor and I question the man who thought he was worth £3M based on his Man U days. As far Marveaux, CT wants us to call a spade a spade, (II always say shovel as it happens), here we go, Marveaux has had enough minutes on the pitch for me to scratch my head at CT's admiration for him. The kid is LIGHTWEIGHT. Just doesn't get involved in a game enough and is a luxury, (if the very few passes he's made that have created goals can be called a luxury) that we can do without. One thing is sure, Simpson, Obertan and Marveaux playing in the side is something we'll struggle to get a result with against good opposition.

I don't understand how some are more accustomed to these terminologies than you? Surely if you follow football over a number of years it means you know more, not less?

Sorry but you come across as someone who has gotten a little bored with mumsnet so have decided to give football a go, however like the scared bloke who has ended up in prison you have decided to show you are not to be messed with, puffed out your chest and tried to show your dominance by kicking off against the big boys with your silly agendas :lol:

Listen. Walk into most pubs, pre or post match. Find a table of 40 / 50 somethings and ask them about false number nines and number 10's etc and the majority will look at you as though you are mad.

A lot of us just like watching a game of football without getting all hung up on the technical differences between different nuances such as why Tiote is a different type of defensive midfielder to so and so.

Id love to know what agenda you think I have. Personally I still think you are sulking from my days on Newcastle Online when I didnt join in the Ben Arfa worship. Your Newcastle Online Ben Arfa alarm seems to go off whenever I mention him.

What honestly is this agenda that you refer too?

I would like to see Pardew upgraded (as would a lot of fans) and while good to watch, I dont think Ben Arfa is worthy of the hero worship that some of you "young'uns" give him, based on what he's achieved so far. Im not sure what agenda that is?

Im quite open about both points.

I would still like to see HBA start and hope he does well, but he's no Peter Beardsley or Shearer or Keegan or Shane. (yet).

Listen. Walk into most pubs, pre or post match. Find a table of 40 / 50 somethings and ask them about false number nines and number 10's etc and the majority will look at you as though you are mad.

A lot of us just like watching a game of football without getting all hung up on the technical differences between different nuances such as why Tiote is a different type of defensive midfielder to so and so.

Id love to know what agenda you think I have. Personally I still think you are sulking from my days on Newcastle Online when I didnt join in the Ben Arfa worship. Your Newcastle Online Ben Arfa alarm seems to go off whenever I mention him.

What honestly is this agenda that you refer too?

I would like to see Pardew upgraded (as would a lot of fans) and while good to watch, I dont think Ben Arfa is worthy of the hero worship that some of you "young'uns" give him, based on what he's achieved so far. Im not sure what agenda that is?

Im quite open about both points.

I would still like to see HBA start and hope he does well, but he's no Peter Beardsley or Shearer or Keegan or Shane. (yet).

Maybe the ones that you know which wouldn't surprise me at all. Whereas I know for certain if I asked my dad and several of my uncles as we come from a big footballing family that they would all know what I was talking about.

I see, you know more because you only have the bare minimum of football knowledge and knock about with knackers? Are you telling me that regular watchers of football don't know what a 'number 10' is?

We discussed it on here a few months back man and even the "experts" were arguing about what a true number 10 was. ;)