Newcastle v Sunderland

Christmas Tree

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they'll attack more with their latest messiah in charge than they would have under their last messiah.probably huff and puff at the start then try to catch us on the break,the longer the game goes on,if the game is still all square.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing them attack, I have a feeling they're going to lay down their cards pretty quickly.

The way I see it they've pretty much only got aggression to call on here. I'd start Tiote as he can go toe to toe with that (I know that's a sending off gamble), and then take him off at half time if he's picked up a booking. I'd sacrifice Jonas for that probably - less need for his work rate with Debuchy and Haidara. Also, Jonas seems to invite nasty challenges and I'd be concerned about him getting crocked.

Then yes, as you say, bring Ben Arfa off the bench. Perch or Shola for the final sub, depending on how the game is going.

No chance Jonas is getting dropped and he absolutely shouldn't be either.

No chance Jonas is getting dropped and he absolutely shouldn't be either.

I guess then you wouldn't use Tiote at all? I guess you could switch Jonas to leftback and put Tiote on in place of Haidara. I agree he's been superb recently anyway, the issue was more about where to fit Tiote in/if at all.

Anyway, I just read that Di Canio is insisting that there are at least 4 Sunderland players in our box whenever they go forward. Should be an interesting strategy.

Last few times we played I had little confidence and we done well. Now I think we are in a good position dont know what to think. We certainly have the better side but they may have some momentum with their latest nutter at the helm. He is sure to be giving them a kick up the arse. Their cup final and DVD selling chance and so on. I reckon they will come out all guns at the start, a few yellow cards will settle it down and then I like to think we will slowly get on top by actually playing football. HBA comes on second half and we take it 2-0.

Sounds about right. Will probably be a furious start will people get kicked all over the place. Eventually though our quality should shine through and we should cruise once they tire out in the second half. Would be nice to have a goal or two before that though, these last minute adventures are not easy on the nerves!

We'll score around the 35th minute after playing very well, will soak up pressure at the start of the second half and maybe concede, then we'll score a second in the last 80. Definitely won't be as easy as it's looking like it'll be.

Krul

Debuchy Mbiwa Taylor Haidara

Tiote Cabaye

Marveaux Sissoko Jonas

Cisse

If everyone is near enough fit I'd like to see us line up like that. It should be enough to run Sunderland ragged through power and technique, but in the derby that could all mean nothing. I'd like to see a bit of fluidity between Sissoko and Cabaye and see them switch positions throughout the game as Cabaye linking play between midfield and attack could make a hell of a difference, and sometimes we lack that link between the two.

By Guy Mowbray BBC Match of the Day commentator

Barclays Premier League

Newcastle's Steven Taylor looks to be ready to return after a minor knee problem.

Hatem Ben Arfa and Yoan Gouffran should also feature, but Fabricio Coloccini (back), Davide Santon and Cheick Tiote (both hamstring) are still out.

Sunderland will be without suspended midfielder Craig Gardner.

Defender Carlos Cuellar (ankle) and striker Danny Graham (knee) trained this week and will have late fitness tests, but Connor Wickham is a doubt.

MATCH PREVIEW

Welcome to the madhouse. Please leave all rationality at the door.

That just about sums up the way both sets of fans approach one of the most fiercely-contested derbies in Europe, never mind the UK.

Did I only say fans? I meant to include players, managers, coaching staff, office staff - in fact, anyone remotely connected to either club just can't help getting emotionally involved just a little bit more than for other fixtures.

Of course, there's something - or someone - extra to put into the mix this time that's not likely to be a conduit for peace and love: Signor Paolo di Canio.

The Italian's second game in charge couldn't be bigger, and conjuring up a first Sunderland win in seven derby clashes, IF he were to do so, couldn't be better for him. Black Cats of the past who've played significant roles in wins at St James' Park are almost deities on Wearside.

This will be Alan Pardew's fifth experience of these fiery occasions, and he's yet to be beaten in one. Despite being a 'soft southerner' he tuned into what this fixture meant immediately - and at times has been close to taking it too far. Last season, the Magpies boss and Martin O'Neill had strong words and postured on the touchline. Will Pardew versus Paolo turn a square-up into a flare-up?

Away from the local angle, looking at form and numbers Newcastle have the clear advantage. They've won their last four home games in the Premier League, whilst Sunderland have played nine games without a win anywhere. They need the points much more urgently, with many now strongly tipping them to be relegated.

That's the bigger picture, and it isn't really needed for 90 minutes on Sunday. These two could meet in mid-table, mid-season, in any division, and it would still matter more than anything else to a North East public that devours football and deserves success - whatever colour the stripes.

That's about right.

Mark Lawrenson Football Analyst

"I see this as being a classic north-east derby. It won't be a nasty game but it could be naughty. I will be surprised if it is 11 v 11 at the final whistle. Both managers, Alan Pardew and Paolo Di Canio are quite excitable characters on the touchline, so this will definitely be worth watching. 1-1"

They don't concede many goals mind, if Di Canio has no strikers will he go for the draw?

Paolo Di Canio "I want four of my players in their box when we go forward"

If he does that we'll destroy them.

Sunderland sound really up for this - Di Canio seems to think that Sunderland will be a bigger club than us in a couple of years; a puzzling statement at best.

I guess the question here really is, is Di Canio actually as good as he thinks he is, or is he just over excited and a pillock.

Sunderland sound really up for this - Di Canio seems to think that Sunderland will be a bigger club than us in a couple of years; a puzzling statement at best.

I guess the question here really is, is Di Canio actually as good as he thinks he is, or is he just over excited and a pillock.

He thinks he can make them a top 6 club in the next couple of seasons. :lol:

Playing to the crowd.