Politics

Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, Alex said:

They’re putting the GE off until the bitter end anyway tbh. 

That's true which just underlines the futility of it all. Sorry, I've just no passion at all for Labour under Starmer. I can't wait though for the tories to properly get their arsed handed to them on a plate but as you say this is some time away regardless. 

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Have they got the gall & balls to bring Johnson back?….he’d piss a leadership vote iyam :cuppa:

I'm guessing no, surely? At the minute Sunak is probably their biggest strength - appears semi-competent, isn't Johnson or Truss. 

• Like 2

Johnson coming back and the absolute shitshow with MPs crossing the house etc.? I’m not sure I want to roll that die. I think it would be a disaster but after the last few years it might be better just to wait for the slow inevitable death of this government. I’m very much in the apathetic camp too. I think the problem is Labour will just win a large majority then do nothing in terms of electoral reform because they’ll argue there are other priorities etc. Some will view it as turkeys voting for Xmas too. Ironically I think it’ll kill Labour and the left in the long run. Because without voting reform you’ll get the Tories back via fptp at some point. Like post apocalyptic cockroaches. And a couple of terms of the next iteration of a Tory government will basically see us as a shite version of America. All the shortcomings without the natural resources etc 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Johnson coming back and the absolute shitshow with MPs crossing the house etc.? I’m not sure I want to roll that die. I think it would be a disaster but after the last few years it might be better just to wait for the slow inevitable death of this government. I’m very much in the apathetic camp too. I think the problem is Labour will just win a large majority then do nothing in terms of electoral reform because there’ll argue their are other priorities etc. Some will view it as turkeys voting for Xmas too. Ironically I think it’ll kill Labour and the left in the long run. Because without voting reform you’ll get the Tories back via fptp at some point. Like post apocalyptic cockroaches. And a couple of terms of the next iteration of a Tory government will basically see us as a shite version of America. All the shortcomings without the natural resources etc 

100% agree. Really feels like  there would never be a better opportunity for electoral reform, there might never even be another opportunity, full stop. And yeah, there are loads of other issues. But the one we can affect almost all derive from our broken democracy. That's why aI just think Starmer is an absolute shit show of a coward. Still voting for him, obvs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Have they got the gall & balls to bring Johnson back?….he’d piss a leadership vote iyam :cuppa:

It's pretty much the only thing that would bring about an early GE. You can't possibly change PMs three times without then going to the ballot box. Johnson probably wouldn't mind and I'd imagine he would get some sort of honeymoon boost in the polls.

29 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It's pretty much the only thing that would bring about an early GE. You can't possibly change PMs three times without then going to the ballot box. Johnson probably wouldn't mind and I'd imagine he would get some sort of honeymoon boost in the polls.

Why can't you? There's nothing to say you can't. They've done it twice (making 3 PMs) and people just shrug. Four PMs in 4 years man. Five in 7 years. Ridiculous the amount of wall paper we're going through. 

On 02/05/2023 at 22:57, Renton said:

Got a leaflet today for the local elections. Seemingly from a neutral source, maybe the council?

Screenshot_20230502_224226_Photos.thumb.jpg.78b81b32d355f162f3bbef7a1145d1fb.jpg

Hey, this guy on the left literally ticks all the boxes, unlike the others. Better vote for him, even though he's a tory.

Screenshot_20230502_224257_Photos.thumb.jpg.17ab996077bad80a744b7eaee94de029.jpg

Helpful reminder to bring ID, handy in Tynemouth where a sizable proportion of the population are doddery blue rinse pensioners.

Screenshot_20230502_224543_Photos.thumb.jpg.694b6f3769375e66fb0ff373c643fd3b.jpg

Wait, what's this, in tiny writing you can't read without a magnifying glass, and probably not even then if you're a doddery pensioner. Oh right, this leaflet has been printed and paid for by the tory candidate who ticked all the boxes! Of course.

I dare you to knock on my door and canvas me Mr Bartoli. I double dare you mother fucker. 

7Wcqjx.gif.18d8802e11e59e38089d12e6337c66eb.gif

(Local) conservative (cunt) won by 20 seats. Easy to see hoe a leaflet like this could do this.

Mofo 

7Wcqjx.gif.c4101a421e609ff2c194f7ab42acab5e.gif

So the interpretation of today's results by the BBC's election guru has Labour 20 seats short of a majority come the GE.

Honestly I thought Labour were further along than that, wasn't polling north of 40%?

If it's not a majority, who do they get into bed with?

50 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So the interpretation of today's results by the BBC's election guru has Labour 20 seats short of a majority come the GE.

Honestly I thought Labour were further along than that, wasn't polling north of 40%?

If it's not a majority, who do they get into bed with?

I think electoral calculus still has them with a majority close to 200. Based on a months polling and updated at the beginning of May. I’d trust them more. Even if Gemmill’s right and that’s excluding Scotland that doesn’t sound right. Also, isn’t this election council seats which were last contested in May 2019? Where the Tories performed badly in the last days of May as PM? So they’ve lost something like 700 council seats on top of a bad starting point? I’m going to suggest the BBC might be painting a less than realistic picture 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I think electoral calculus still has them with a majority close to 200. Based on a months polling and updated at the beginning of May. I’d trust them more. Even if Gemmill’s right and that’s excluding Scotland that doesn’t sound right. Also, isn’t this election council seats which were last contested in May 2019? Where the Tories performed badly in the last days of May as PM? So they’ve lost something like 700 council seats on top of a bad starting point? I’m going to suggest the BBC might be painting a less than realistic picture 

Think his argument was more that the Labour vote hasn't gone up, but the Tory vote has collapsed - so while the margin of Labour's victory is significant, the actual won votes are not.

Maybe all those pensioners forgot their ID.

In the end it's another year to run anyway, we might well end up with the second coming of the great fiasco himself before we get to a GE.

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The fact that there's 19% "Others" in Curtice's figures is problematic too. Who exactly?

Independents seem to be doing quite well.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Think his argument was more that the Labour vote hasn't gone up, but the Tory vote has collapsed - so while the margin of Labour's victory is significant, the actual won votes are not.

Maybe all those pensioners forgot their ID.

In the end it's another year to run anyway, we might well end up with the second coming of the great fiasco himself before we get to a GE.

Obviously I didn’t see it but how the fuck did their vote not go up? 

Actually just looking at the latest results and they’re ludicrously bad for the Tories. Already lost 900 seats with some results still to come in. The conservatives only said they might lose 1,000 so they could pretend they’d done well if they didn’t. Meanwhile Labour 500 ish seats gained already. I’d like to see that guru’s workings out