Politics

Christmas Tree

37 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Gemmill’s favourite crush is on politics live and was asked the simple question ‘what will Labour do differently?’ and she flapped desperately trying to answer it. The short answer is that there isn’t clear blue water between the two parties in terms of what they’re offering, there’s no great vision. And when it comes to an election Labour simply can’t offer any grand plan as every manifesto pledge is going to have to be costed and they can’t afford to pledge too much that relies on borrowing.

Depends what the borrowing is for, borrowing a big lump for "clean energy" is an investment with a return, as would be borrowing to set up a nationalised energy company/railways etc etc. Doesn't matter if it won't turn a profit for decades.

Also countries are not like households, they don't have to pay back anything for centuries so long as they can service the debt. Biggest con of them all is making people think a national economy is like their household budget and "our grandchildren will have to pay it back", it's bollocks. Some of the tax we've all paid over the years went to pay off the cash given to slave owners to compensate them for their losses in not being allowed to be slave owners anymore (in 1840-something) paid off 2014 I believe - I never knew that I was paying that off at the time.

Our problem is our GDP is off a cliff so anything we borrow makes our repayment relatively larger % of GDP.

13 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Depends what the borrowing is for, borrowing a big lump for "clean energy" is an investment with a return, as would be borrowing to set up a nationalised energy company/railways etc etc. Doesn't matter if it won't turn a profit for decades.

Also countries are not like households, they don't have to pay back anything for centuries so long as they can service the debt. Biggest con of them all is making people think a national economy is like their household budget and "our grandchildren will have to pay it back", it's bollocks. Some of the tax we've all paid over the years went to pay off the cash given to slave owners to compensate them for their losses in not being allowed to be slave owners anymore (in 1840-something) paid off 2014 I believe - I never knew that I was paying that off at the time.

Our problem is our GDP is off a cliff so anything we borrow makes our repayment relatively larger % of GDP.

I'm not disagreeing at all with you. Borrowing for investment is not a negative thing but it's how the Tories will paint it is what Labour are fearful of.

John McDonnell made a convincing case for borrowing to nationalise utilities last time out but the public didn't listen.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I'm not disagreeing at all with you. Borrowing for investment is not a negative thing but it's how the Tories will paint it is what Labour are fearful of.

John McDonnell made a convincing case for borrowing to nationalise utilities last time out but the public didn't listen.

That was then though. Absolutely nobody trusts the tories on the economy now. I can't see a pitch for infrastructure spending being a problem. 

Labour are still overly worried about being seen as financially irresponsible. That doesn't mean that they can't borrow to invest once in power, as long as they don't tie their own hands in their manifesto.

What a farce, if a MP who has submitted a letter of no confidence in Truss votes against fracking (considered a vote of no confidence by Tory whips) they lose the whip and as such their letter is no longer valid as they ain't torries any more.

So they'll vote for fracking, which no-one wants, to show confidence in the PM they've written to 22 committee to express no confidence in.

Burn it all down !!!!!

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Labour are still overly worried about being seen as financially irresponsible. That doesn't mean that they can't borrow to invest once in power, as long as they don't tie their own hands in their manifesto.

Labour isn't working.  1m unemployed went to 3m+

to

Magic Money tree. to a fucking huge bastard forest.

Yet people lap it up.

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

If they have the numbers they can’t throw them all out.

Voting against a three line whip is automatic isn't it?, only needs 40 to have balls and majority is gone.

• Jaysus... 1

8 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Voting against a three line whip is automatic isn't it?, only needs 40 to have balls and majority is gone.

In normal circumstances yes, however these aren’t normal circumstances. A massive rebellion on this would almost certainly finish Truss off.

7 minutes ago, Craig said:

Fucking hell, 2 of the high offices of state have been replaced within 6 weeks of her premiership. What an utter farce.

And about a fortnight of that was downtime due the Queen popping her clogs, too.