Politics

Christmas Tree

I see the proposed car battery plant at Cambois has gone into administration after new investors couldn’t be found, resulting in about 250 people losing their jobs. This was supposedly going to create more than 10x that amount of jobs and be a crucial part of both the UK’s commitment to net zero and UK car manufacturing. 

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Net zero on car battery's :lol: 

That's like them shipping a tonne of plastic waste to Turkey and India to dispose and using that in their stats to us 'recycling' :lol: 

Think it was going to be batteries for electric cars rather than conventional car batteries 

They were on the radio earlier saying according to the terms of the Brexit agreement if we can’t make 80% of uk cars from parts sourced within the uk then at some point soon they will start to incur export tariffs when they’re sold into the EU. There are 38 battery plants up and running across the EU and none in the UK bar Nissans own Leaf unit at Washington . If someone doesn’t build a plant in the uk very soon it may well see off the rest of the uk car industry 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

Think it was going to be batteries for electric cars rather than conventional car batteries 

Oh I knew what you meant. People seem to think electric cars are the answer. They're far from it. 

• Like 1

I heard ages ago that the people behind the Blyth plant were spivs on the take with tax payers money. Probably tory donors, mates of Boris. So comes as little surprise. This government is killing industry in this country.

I take wiki's point that battery driven cars bring their own issues but like it or mot they seem to be the future and with no viable battery plants the auto industry is fucked in this country. As PL says, Brexit is another nail in the coffin because of rules of origin. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

I heard ages ago that the people behind the Blyth plant were spivs on the take with tax payers money. Probably tory donors, mates of Boris. So comes as little surprise. This government is killing this country.

I take wiki's point that battery driven cars bring their own issues but like it or mot they seem to be the future and with no viable battery plants the auto industry is fucked in this country. As PL says, Brexit is another nail in the coffin because of rules of origin. 

FYP

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I see the proposed car battery plant at Cambois has gone into administration after new investors couldn’t be found, resulting in about 250 people losing their jobs. This was supposedly going to create more than 10x that amount of jobs and be a crucial part of both the UK’s commitment to net zero and UK car manufacturing. 

A few at my place would've pencilled this place in for a job as once upon a time it would've roughly coincided it's opening with our shutting and indeed apparently there's been informal conversations between the companies but I wasn't one and like rents says something didn't look right. 

• Like 1

William Hague part blames Brexit for the collapse of British Volt.

And it’s a sad reflection, probably, on Brexit because of course, what do you need in some of these technologies, you need scale, you need to know there’s a big market. If you are going to succeed with batteries, you need big manufacturers to be in the same market using those batteries.

So, that’s part of the damage that has been done by leaving the EU.

9 hours ago, Renton said:

William Hague part blames Brexit for the collapse of British Volt.

Does he not completely blame Brexit for the collapse, but it is not the only thing which has been damaged by Brexit?

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

T'old Jacinda stepping down. Weren't we told she was the best thing since sliced bread only a year ago or so? 

Resigning by her own choice, burnt out.