Politics

Christmas Tree

Sunak’s almost in the Screaming Lord Sutch phase now. Where he can promise whatever because he’s never going to be able to fulfil it anyway. 

• Like 2

Teaching better numeracy and real-life skills like understanding tax and pensions and benefits and stuff? That would make sense (which is why they won't do it). But maths in a purely academic sense, especially the kind of thing you learn at A-level? I agree with the famous accountant above.

• Like 4

Is this related to the Singapore on Thames shit they're obsessed about? I do think Maths is probably the most important subject, being the basis of all physical science and therefore the language of nature itself. I think its importance and application is probably  underestimated in this country, and our overall matlhs literacy is poor, which is a bad thing.  But probably less than 20% need it to A level, and maybe less than 5% above this level. Some people, like Pegg seemingly, just can't do it so this is a colossal waste of time for them.

Incidentally, this was one of my favourite beliefs of Wolfy. He believed Maths was made up, and ultimately that was his basis for thinking all objective scientific  reality was a fiction. This was principally because he was too thick to understand anything past arithmetic. So yeah, you can go too far the other way.

Edited by Renton
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Alex said:

Sunak’s almost in the Screaming Lord Sutch phase now. Where he can promise whatever because he’s never going to be able to fulfil it anyway. 

He's been in that phase for years. Soundbites and bullshit all the while knowing there's a nailed on chance he will never have to see any of it through.

I disagree. He hasn’t been Prime Minister for years and it hasn’t been obvious for years the Tories were going to lose the next election. They’ve spent a fair amount of this Parliament being ahead or close in the polls. I think he’s fancied himself as PM for a while so there’s lots of major policies he’s enacted as chancellor that he probably thought he’d have to live with the consequences of. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

I disagree. He hasn’t been Prime Minister for years and it hasn’t been obvious for years the Tories were going to lose the next election. They’ve spent a fair amount of this Parliament being ahead or close in the polls. I think he’s fancied himself as PM for a while so there’s lots of major policies he’s enacted as chancellor that he probably thought he’d have to live with the consequences of. 

I was basically talking about his budgets mate. 

You mean what they were meant to deliver in terms of making people better off, etc? I see what you mean if so. Although I’d class that as incompetence. What I meant now was he can say what the fuck he likes because he’s got two years in power if he’s lucky 

• Like 1

Got his portrait on the wall of the Downing Street staircase, will be invited to loads of state functions as an ex PM. Cushy place in the Lords cos Labour won't abolish it. Job done. Its all about them and nothing else.

Edited by Renton
  • Like 5

Cheers MF. Opened link. Voice over shoulder: "Daddy, who's that woman?".

"Erm, its Bridget Philipson, MP for Houghton and Sunderland South. Here, let me turn this off, and have my phone to play Candy Crush". :whistle:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Renton said:

Got his portrait on the wall of the Downing Street staircase, will be invited to loads of state functions as an ex PM. Cushy place in the Lords cos Labour won't abolish it. Job done. Its all about them and nothing else.

Not to mention the PM pension.

4 hours ago, Renton said:

Was going to quip "better", but not really. I expect I should be more careful with my phone  when my daughters are milling round me cos they're bored senseless at centre parcs! 

:spit:

9 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye, the billionaire will need some pin money once retires at 45. 

Man of the people

The most northern PM ever. 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Alex said:

The most northern PM ever. 

The brass neck on him for ever bringing that up. Where was he born? Fucking Southampton! :lol:

• Haha 3

Channel 4 seem to be rewarding the tories for letting them off privatisation, by running stories all over social media that Starmer want's to privatise the NHS .

Also, same as the last election - who the FUCK are advising these political parties - I know they all buy in campaigners and advisors - but who the fuck are they.. I'm starting to get consiracy theories and I'm not (I think) a nutter! 

Starmer seems to be commiting suicide as a Labour leader , not going for the jugular making televised statements about the Tories trying to use new laws to silence the strikers , or their approach to migrants, or the scandals, or the energy crisis payoffs and complete lack of authority from HMRC as the middle men make an absolute fortune.

No it's a speech about how (paraphrased) "Spending tax payers money on public services to BIG Government is not what anyone wants - we need reform and alliances with the private sector"

If some fucker hasn't infilitrated the party to put that particular nuclear nugget in his head, I'll eat my own arse. Same as the last election when Corbyn who was previously pretty open about Brexit was advised to sit on the fence and not support either side - a.k.a lose votes on both sides, win votes on neither - and Lib Dems were advised to go for "We will return to the EU without another vote" ..

All in the context of the Tory scandals, the energy crisis (public money to private companies AGAIN) , the channel , Brexit issues and an NHS thats falling over due to underfunding over 13 years (Starmer says otherwise) .

Unless, it's all a ploy to just get power back and then start returning to sensible balanced economic and social policies. 

I mean, if it isn't FFS the 1% are absolutely in control here.. 

*aaaand relax*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scoobos said:

Channel 4 seem to be rewarding the tories for letting them off privatisation, by running stories all over social media that Starmer want's to privatise the NHS .

Also, same as the last election - who the FUCK are advising these political parties - I know they all buy in campaigners and advisors - but who the fuck are they.. I'm starting to get consiracy theories and I'm not (I think) a nutter! 

Starmer seems to be commiting suicide as a Labour leader , not going for the jugular making televised statements about the Tories trying to use new laws to silence the strikers , or their approach to migrants, or the scandals, or the energy crisis payoffs and complete lack of authority from HMRC as the middle men make an absolute fortune.

No it's a speech about how (paraphrased) "Spending tax payers money on public services to BIG Government is not what anyone wants - we need reform and alliances with the private sector"

If some fucker hasn't infilitrated the party to put that particular nuclear nugget in his head, I'll eat my own arse. Same as the last election when Corbyn who was previously pretty open about Brexit was advised to sit on the fence and not support either side - a.k.a lose votes on both sides, win votes on neither - and Lib Dems were advised to go for "We will return to the EU without another vote" ..

All in the context of the Tory scandals, the energy crisis (public money to private companies AGAIN) , the channel , Brexit issues and an NHS thats falling over due to underfunding over 13 years (Starmer says otherwise) .

Unless, it's all a ploy to just get power back and then start returning to sensible balanced economic and social policies. 

I mean, if it isn't FFS the 1% are absolutely in control here.. 

*aaaand relax*

You're reading too much into things I think. Starmer is most definitely a coward but he's not a puppet. The news agents have made a podcast on what his speech meant this week. It is pretty galling to hear him come up with regurgitated shit like Take Back Control, but that's what the spin doctors have ordered. If that's the wrong strategy then it's simply them getting strategy wrong - again.