Politics

Christmas Tree

I think James O'brien said it best when he talks about how part of the education/culture of the UK is that we're deliberately ingrained with the notion that anyone who's that posh is automatically intelligent and worthy of being thought of as our "better" with the right to rule and be looked up to. Hilariously it applies to Johnson as well but Rees-Mogg epitomises it. 

It's all emperor's new clothes of course. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NJS said:

I think James O'brien said it best when he talks about how part of the education/culture of the UK is that we're deliberately ingrained with the notion that anyone who's that posh is automatically intelligent and worthy of being thought of as our "better" with the right to rule and be looked up to. Hilariously it applies to Johnson as well but Rees-Mogg epitomises it. 

It's all emperor's new clothes of course. 

Works both ways, the attendees of Eton etc being taught to be arrogant enough to believe their own bollocks. Then, as you mention, large swathes of the populace lapping it up 

His thoughts on this are about as nuanced as his thoughts on everything. He's like a human tabloid, even when he's talking about cricket. 

Absolutely scandalous that he's even being interviewed about it. 

49 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

His thoughts on this are about as nuanced as his thoughts on everything. He's like a human tabloid, even when he's talking about cricket. 

Absolutely scandalous that he's even being interviewed about it. 

Well he got the seat in the HoL (like a fair few others - see that absolute nutjob Kate Hooey) purely because of his vocal pro-Brexit stance. That and his being a public figure. And that’s it.  Spends plenty time at his second home in Spain of course, absolutely insulated from any of the ill effects of the Brexit he campaigned for 

Edited by Alex

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Screenshot_20221229_092645_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f2ea0a171ded14541fadb766f334e3f3.jpg

Let's do this. 

Yes, lets. :lol:

Just listening to the last Oh God What Now podcast of the year there and they made a fairly good point that all these populists, and also supposed geniuses like Musk, are falling flat on their faces through a combination of believing ther own hype (aided by their sycophants) and just their own rank stupidity and incompetence. I do have a tiny bit of hope this era of lunacy might be drawing to a close now. It's a pleasure to see Rees-Mogg fucking a fucked party even fucking more, the fucking runt. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

JRM would be the ultimate symbol of this era of conservatives. Thick as mince, corrupt as fuck, talentless, has had everything handed to him on a plate and constantly lies through his teeth. All the while believing his own hype, thinking his education has equipped him with the tools to talk his way out of anything. 
He’d be as bad as Truss and if it got to the members he’d be right up their street 

• Like 3

Donelan has advised against the sale of Channel 4. Predictably, her predecessor as Culture Secretary is going nuts on Twitter :lol: 

I'm alright at maths, and that's sort of "the way my brain works", and I think it is massive for problem solving in the real world. 

But you've done all the essential stuff (and a decent amount of non-essential) by the time GCSEs are done. And if it wasn't your thing then, which it won't be for tens of thousands of kids, you don't need two extra years of it. 

Unless you have an aptitude and a real affinity for it, the stuff you learn beyond GCSE is borderline impossible and completely fucking worthless. 

• Like 4

Just now, Gemmill said:

I'm alright at maths, and that's sort of "the way my brain works", and I think it is massive for problem solving in the real world. 

But you've done all the essential stuff (and a decent amount of non-essential) by the time GCSEs are done. And if it wasn't your thing then, which it won't be for tens of thousands of kids, you don't need two extra years of it. 

Unless you have an aptitude and a real affinity for it, the stuff you learn beyond GCSE is borderline impossible and completely fucking worthless

worth the square root of fuck all tbh

• Haha 1