Politics

Christmas Tree

You've just proved the point that Brian Reade is trying to make in this piece tbh. Grossly overpaid for what they do?...anyone else in that little box you've made for them?...

And how does a tube strike cost the country billions?...it'll cost the tax haven know as "THE CITY OF LONDON" a fair bit, I'll grant you...

Go on then, explain what a tube driver does/endures to deserve £52k a year, over 40 days holiday, free travel and all their other benefits. Why are tube drivers better taken care of than, say, nurses, or teachers?

London may, in your head, be a tax haven, but there are millions in the city that aren't wanker bankers, politicians or titans of business. Millions who are frequently held to ransom by a union with a disproportionate amount of power. There's figures of £200m being quoted as the cost of this strike and while that may be over-stating it, it's still an incredibly expensive way for an over-powered union to get their way.

Again, I'm all for protecting employees, but Aslef take the piss.

What used to be called Greater London isn't a tax haven, but the City is.

If some of the top earners weren't all hiding their millions in the Cayman Islands then perhaps the nurses and teachers would be paid better too.

It's all about power, those in the city have and so do the tube drivers. But only the tube drivers are properly criticised for exercising it. That's the point of the article.

What used to be called Greater London isn't a tax haven, but the City is.

If some of the top earners weren't all hiding their millions in the Cayman Islands then perhaps the nurses and teachers would be paid better too.

It's all about power, those in the city have and so do the tube drivers. But only the tube drivers are properly criticised for exercising it. That's the point of the article.

Think you'll find city bankers are massively criticised like, just there's fuck all anyone can do about it, just like tube drivers. A lot of city workers would be on the DLR or could afford chauffeurs, so are probably proportionately less affected by strikes, strangely enough.

But aye, 52k for driving a tube train, madness. More than many doctors let alone nurses. Reminds me of Cuba, where taxi drivers earn more than heart surgeons. Seems this country is fucked by greed at every level.

Line 14 in Paris works very well. No drivers at all, does get affected by the general and train strikes but always runs a service.

Reade's point is well taken and in a way, Fish's point about the cost of the strikes emphasises that. If the cost of a strike to the economy is so high then that demonstrates the value of the service to society and justifies the remuneration.

I don't think the 'a monkey could do the job' argument holds water, the tube drivers have gained power over an important economic resource and manipulate it to their own end. Just like bankers and credit really.

Line 14 in Paris works very well. No drivers at all, does get affected by the general and train strikes but always runs a service.

Reade's point is well taken and in a way, Fish's point about the cost of the strikes emphasises that. If the cost of a strike to the economy is so high then that demonstrates the value of the service to society and justifies the remuneration.

I don't think the 'a monkey could do the job' argument holds water, the tube drivers have gained power over an important economic resource and manipulate it to their own end. Just like bankers and credit really.

There's value to the service, but I don't believe the drivers and ticket office workers add as much value as they claim. You've already said that the automated line in Paris works fine, as does the DLR in London. These guys are on a cushy number and take the piss. They're already paid far above the national average for a job of their skill level. A tube driver doesn't need the level of skill or knowledge that, say, a Doctor has and they certainly don't provide a more important service; they just are far more willing to strike.

I've no sympathy for them and I'm not even that affected by their disruption (I mainly get national rail trains), my hackles are up because the disparity between their worth and their demands is staggering.

As an aside I reckon we'll see similar strikes as more roads have tolls applied to them.

"The feds going to prop up interest rates with free money, the cunts have got to put their cash somewhere, i'm getting bollocks deep into US equities" Some fund manager circa Q1 2013.

Boom! Made millions.

Remunerated for their skill level?

Well Renton reckons we can all afford chauffeurs anyway :)

Johnson's obvious dream is driverless trains and it would at least be honest of him to say so.

I'd also say if you wanted to get into an argument over salary "worth" then you're on a loser anyway because modern society only sees money generation above all else.

"The feds going to prop up interest rates with free money, the cunts have got to put their cash somewhere, i'm getting bollocks deep into US equities" Some fund manager circa Q1 2013.

Boom! Made millions.

Remunerated for their skill level?

If this cunt can do it

1418450360_2128229931001_961896998-145-1

Edited by The Fish

Well aye, quite. Nothing wrong with dreaming of a socially just meritocracy though is there?

Might have said before but one of the angriest moments of my life was the morning after Lawson intoduced the 40% rate and the BBC had a nurse whose pay had gone up by about £2 and a Financial Advisor who'd gained 80k the latter of whom had absolutely no problem "justifying" why he deserved it and the nurse didn't. I've never understood why none of the TV crew just stopped and chinned the piece of human excrement to death.

If this cunt can do it

1418450360_2128229931001_961896998-145-1

Why don't you get in there, Fish? You're on the Nat King Cole now aren't you? Piss easy job like that, you could do it standing on your head. Money for fuck all just driving round a merry-go-round. Fill yer boots, man!

Why don't you get in there, Fish? You're on the Nat King Cole now aren't you? Piss easy job like that, you could do it standing on your head. Money for fuck all just driving round a merry-go-round. Fill yer boots, man!

I'm able to walk past a Greggs without starting a 3 pump blaze by dry humping a pasty wrapper*, so I'm afraid I'm not qualified.

*same thing prevents me being a taxi driver

And not being able to drive ;)

I've been driving for 15 years, and I've never had points on my license. Because driving is a piece of piss.

Finally worked out who you remind me of;

pkus_porco_rosso_f_z.gif

Edited by The Fish

Having seen some of the lovely houses in danger of getting flooded, (one had a swimming pool in it), and some of the picturesque villages and Towns, having heard some of the people involved talking about their frustration and the blanket saturation television coverage The Thames Valley amongst others have had, then it's no real surprise to see Clegg showing his face down there and Cameron being down there on more than one occasion. You'd think they might be worried about votes or something.

I wonder if there'd have been the same interest from Cameron et al had those affected been a bit more north-eastern based?

Lord Howell, George Osborne’s father-in-law, who was listed as a government energy adviser on an official website until Tuesday night, suggested that Conservative friendly populated areas in southern England should be protected from a wave of flooding by government intervention and floods should only take place in the North East because it is filled with “desolate” areas, the Conservative peer close to the Chancellor has said.

The fuckin' Bassa!!

fuck-you.png