Politics

Christmas Tree

Having seen some of the lovely houses in danger of getting flooded, (one had a swimming pool in it), and some of the picturesque villages and Towns, having heard some of the people involved talking about their frustration and the blanket saturation television coverage The Thames Valley amongst others have had, then it's no real surprise to see Clegg showing his face down there and Cameron being down there on more than one occasion. You'd think they might be worried about votes or something.

I wonder if there'd have been the same interest from Cameron et al had those affected been a bit more north-eastern based?

Of course not, Somerset's been an inland sea for a month and even that's had feck all political intervention.

I know its human nature to project your problems onto everyone but I caught a bloke on tv this morning stating it was a crisis for the entire uk and didnt we know people's lived had been destroyed.

While I have a bit of sympathy for them I dont remember much uk team spirit from the people of the sw or the Thames valley when the bitch was destroying lives in the NE.

unil last weekend only 40 houses had been flooded in the Somerset Levels - admittedly its pretty bad this week but what part of the words "flood plain", "water meadow" & "below sea level" do people not understand?

If I lived on San Andreas fault Avenue in SF I wouldn't expect a lot of sympathy......................................

Of course not, Somerset's been an inland sea for a month and even that's had feck all political intervention.

Am working with a couple of lads from Somerset and they say its mostly a Lib Dem area....mind as soon as "true blue" Berkshire and Surrey look a bit soggy the Army spring into action. My 78 year old father last night said that Cameron thinks the citizens of Somerset are, and I quote, "nowt but fuckin peasants and yokels" I think he may have a point :D

Edited by PaddockLad

We're a rich country and money will be no object, whatever is needed will be spent, (Don't tell that to the scroungers, though who are skint and victimised), there will also be a 'bespoke' grant awarded to those affected.

Wow. At last the conservatives are starting to show a caring side now that their constituencies have been hit.

Will the bespoke grant depend on how many spare bedrooms they have or how much savings they have? Will they have to prove they've been looking for insurance? What if anyone affected is on the Rock and Roll? (unlikely looking at the houses hit).

The solidarity fund has high threshold requirements and will only contribute just over 1% of the cost of damage done. I'm not saying that it isn't worth applying for but I don't believe it's as simple as not posting off a form to Brussels.

Biggest financial meltdown even by Labours standards and yet again the Tories rescue the day. Less than 3 years to sort the mess out.

They said we'd lose a million jobs but we have nearly 1 1/2 million more whilst giving pensioners a decent pension and taking millions out of paying tax and freezing council tax and reducing business rates.

Surely a landslide next year.