Politics

Christmas Tree

:lol:

He's not going to win it, man. The whole thing is a farce, and it looks to me like Eagle and Smith are more interested in gunning for each other, anyway.

Welsh. Never going to happen in this day and age.

That was initial thought too, but he definitely has a bit of the magic about him. Very cool calm and collected.

And he's all for a get out referendum "if the public mood changes over the next 18 months".

Hustings tomorrow between him and Eagle. She'll drop out Tuesday at the latest. As I said before, she's good at orating Tory ministers but is an empty vessel with regard to leadership.

Edited by Christmas Tree

That was initial thought too, but he definitely has a bit of the magic about him. Very cool calm and collected.

And he's all for a get out referendum "if the public mood changes over the next 18 months".

Hustings tomorrow between him and Eagle. She'll drop out Tuesday at the latest. As I said before, she's good at orating Tory ministers but is an empty vessel with regard to leadership.

He's a fucking taff, man. No scot or Welshman will ever be electable in England. The papers and brexiters would see to that.

So we're renewing Trident for the bargain price of £31bn.

Austerity. We're all in this together..

The total final bill is likely to be north of £150bn.

I think we've had this debate on here already but I can't picture a bigger waste of money at a time when the NHS is on its knees and public services broadly are being shredded.

I don't see the point of being in NATO and having an independent nuclear submarine arsenal. A gigantic waste of money. Keep a few at airbases for dropping as a final recourse, its cheap and keeps people guessing. Subs these days are too easily tracked.

If the existing trident lasted 40 years, then even at £150B, it's less than £4B a year though, right?

Can't find a more recent one, but for context...

Budget-2013-the-governmen-010.jpg

Should't one tenth of the annual military budget go on a nuclear detterent? Half of one percent of the total budget?

I'm a lefty liberal Corbynista, but if that £4bn was left in the £222bn social care bill, or even the £140Bn Heathcare bill, would it be make a massive difference to those services following the cuts they've already experienced?

Also need to ask how much of the £150B goes back into the economy? How many jobs does it create to lessen the social care burden? Hope we aren't paying some other countries to knock it up for us.

You need about 12 subs tho. 3 are too easily tracked even by satellites these days. Even of the 3 one seems to be permanently in dry dock and there have been repeated failings with all of them. There is a doc about it somewhere.

There's votes in renewing trident though, regardless of it's merits as a deterrent. The witless 52% who voted to leave the EU will all think it's a good thing I imagine; "keeps us at the top table" etc etc :glare:

Reckon CT could go either way on this, could go just against the consensus on here as per normal and think it's a wizard idea, just to be contrary.......or he could double bluff seeing as I've mentioned it and think renewal is a a waste of public money, and there's far easier ways of getting it into the back pockets of Tory party doners, just for the sake of contrayness...

Edited by PaddockLad

There's votes in renewing trident though, regardless of it's merits as a deterrent. The witless 52% who voted to leave the EU will all think it's a good thing I imagine; "keeps us at the top table" etc etc :glare:

Reckon CT could go either way on this, could go just against the consensus on here as per normal and think it's a wizard idea, just to be contrary.......or he could double bluff seeing as I've mentioned it and think renewal is a a waste of public money, and there's far easier ways of getting it into the back pockets of Tory party doners, just for the sake of contrayness...

i'm on tenterhooks

Reckon CT could go either way on this

If only we had a Trident thread where you could check ;)

Our history is littered with invasions from Europe. The last attempt still in living memory.

Who knows what will happen in 10, 20 or 30 years.

Guaranteed that no Europeans are sending future army's thisaway with Nuclears in our arsenal.

Disgraceful this lefty shit is still getting an airing.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?/topic/35503-We-should-get-rid-of-Trident%2E/page__view__findpost__p__1332070&share_tid=35503&share_fid=30973&share_type=t&share_pid=1332070

What I would do if I was PM would be to pretend to order it and make all the big wigs sign one of those top secret national security 50 year jobs.

Edited by Christmas Tree

If only we had a Trident thread where you could check ;)

Our history is littered with invasions from Europe. The last attempt still in living memory.

Who knows what will happen in 10, 20 or 30 years.

Guaranteed that no Europeans are sending future army's thisaway with Nuclears in our arsenal.

Disgraceful this lefty shit is still getting an airing.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?/topic/35503-We-should-get-rid-of-Trident%2E/page__view__findpost__p__1332070&share_tid=35503&share_fid=30973&share_type=t&share_pid=1332070

What I would do if I was PM would be to pretend to order it and make all the big wigs sign one of those top secret national security 50 year jobs.

When was this invasion in living memory?