Holidays 2015

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called Seven St Georges, which makes it sound like an English bar, but it's Cypriot owned by a really nice family.

Anyway, it's not in the main town, so it's a taxi journey, but there's basically no menu, you pay a fixed price (16 euros when I was there) and they just keep bringing you mezze dishes until you tell them to stop. Their only stipulation is that you don't waste any food, so they ask that you really do tell them when you're done.

The veg will be the nicest/freshest you've ever had, and the meat dishes are amazing, and cos you don't get a choice (you just get whatever they've just made fresh that day), you end up eating stuff you would never normally try. They make their own organic wine too, which was surprisingly nice.

http://www.7stgeorgestavern.com

That sounds lovely as long as they hold all the little sea urchins and creatures that these sort tend to hoy in.

Steering clear of Marmaris because Turkey shares a border with Iran is akin to avoiding New York City because you're worried about Mexican bandits.

:CT:

Nice. I like driving abroad. :)

They drive on the left in case you didn't know.

Scariest driving of my life was in the Troodos years ago - they were doing a lot of improvements at the time so I'd imagine it's better now.

I think the villa one of the daughters was looking at was near Coral Bay. Mountains and archaeology sound canny though.

If I had the money I'd be going back. Been three times and I love it there.

It's called Seven St Georges......Their only stipulation is that you don't waste any food, so they ask that you really do tell them when you're done.

http://www.7stgeorgestavern.com

Fast forward to the end of summer 2014 ....

BBC NEWS

The former owner of a Cypriot restaurant has been placed in secure psychiatric care following an incident in a Newcastle suburb.

A man was attacked in his home by the restaurateur, in a crime which has left police baffled.

The man was changing the batteries of his Roomba when a series of bizarre messages attached to bricks came flying through his windows.

The messages, written by the assailant in ketchup, made little sense;

" Five days! Five Bloody Days!"

"He Just Didn't Stop!"

" Duck Pizza! "

Police are investigating a possible link to the hospitalisation , earlier in the summer, of a Boldon taxi driver on holiday in Cyprus suffering from severe over eating.

Oh and I wouldn't go back to Turkey either. Waaay too much hassle - totally spoiled the holiday.

Thinking of taking the bairn to EuroDisney at Easter. Any tips on best way to travel or where to stay?

Duck pizza :lol:

Been to Alcudia the last couple years, the first time being the bairns first holiday abroad and it's been great. Mainly because of the apartments we stayed at, little one loved it.

Going all inclusive to Kardamena in Kos this year, will be there when the World Cup is on. :D Never been to Greece before (or on a flight over 2 and a bit hours) so really looking forward to it.

I was speaking to a lass at work today whose husband is from Tobago so she's been there and a few other places in the Caribbean who reckons a lot of them including Barbados suffer from isolating tourists from the contrasting poverty too much and don't necessarily allow enough of a flavour of the culture to be appreciated. She reckoned St Lucia was the best she'd been to (after T and T).

I was speaking to a lass at work today whose husband is from Tobago so she's been there and a few other places in the Caribbean who reckons a lot of them including Barbados suffer from isolating tourists from the contrasting poverty too much and don't necessarily allow enough of a flavour of the culture to be appreciated. She reckoned St Lucia was the best she'd been to (after T and T).

I've been to St Lucia too. Compared to Barbados it's much more naturally beautiful. However, it's also much poorer, you see proper third world poverty on that island which I didn't see anywhere on Barbados.

Why not do a city break in Havana followed by a break in a resort? Havana is an utterly amazing place, I guess people are poor there but of course there is almost perfect equity and healthcare etc. Easily the best place I have been in the Caribbean, and one of the most interesting places overall.

I've been to St Lucia too. Compared to Barbados it's much more naturally beautiful. However, it's also much poorer, you see proper third world poverty on that island which I didn't see anywhere on Barbados.

Why not do a city break in Havana followed by a break in a resort? Havana is an utterly amazing place, I guess people are poor there but of course there is almost perfect equity and healthcare etc. Easily the best place I have been in the Caribbean, and one of the most interesting places overall.

I think I mentioned when you talked about Cuba that I was thinking about going on a cycling holiday there - Might consider that again later in the year but I'm not fit enough at the moment to consider doing that in March.

Oh and I wouldn't go back to Turkey either. Waaay too much hassle - totally spoiled the holiday.

Thinking of taking the bairn to EuroDisney at Easter. Any tips on best way to travel or where to stay?

Been a few times and stopped at Disney hotels and external ones. Really makes little difference as you are literally only using it to sleep. You will be at the parks from early til late.

Two days is more than enough IMO with a little one.

I'm not so sure about Barbados being like that, I covered most of the island and as Renton said, there's no real third world conditions. The best thing about the place is getting out of the touristy spots and seeing the proper place, which is especially easy given that the island is so small and English is their first language.

If you're booking direct then this may be of interest to you http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/disneyland-paris-pay-what-french-pay-2014-save-up-22-1784415

maxresdefault.jpg

"Hey Jimmy, you want to buy a rolex, Jimmy? Luvley jubbly watch, Jimmy."

"Will it work in Boldon? What does the bit on the side sticking out do? Can I take it home without paying VAT? Is it cheaper than the internet? Does Asda do one?..........blah blah........etc........"