The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

i think a new manager = a new team anyway, at least I am still optimistic that ginger mac can find some quality in what we have already. Admittedly that optimism will probably only last a couple of games!

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but name a side with three or four full backs as good as him?...it's not that my expectations are low, but ffs be realistic.

Is it unrealistic to expect a first choice left back of better quality than the others listed? I don't mind most of them as back up but only Janmaat is good enough for a starting role

Is it unrealistic to expect a first choice left back of better quality than the others listed? I don't mind most of them as back up but only Janmaat is good enough for a starting role

Yeah that's fair. We've not replaced Santon, who was never a decent left back for me in a million years and Haidara is already a better fit iyam, but a lot of the time the same old shit gets rolled out about the squad in general i.e. It's not strong enough in all positions. It's stating the blindingly obvious that it never will be to the extent we all want under Ashley,but the mark of a really good coach is the improvement he can make and sustain to the players he inherits.

Am prepared to wait and see. We annihilated Pardew,Carver and Stone for not being able to get the most out of all the players. What needs to improve over and above ability for me is attitude, not turning up for half a fuckin season is a far worse crime than being shit. If McClaren can inspire consistency of performance in effort and ability over nine months then we'll be a dozen points better off iyam. That doesn't sound a very high target but seeing as we could've been relegated on two out the the last three seasons on the final day the bar is pretty low.

We had Debuchy and Santon at one point, now Janmaat and Hairdara. Downgrades on both sides

Janmaat is comfortably better than Debuchy. I don't miss Cabaye's boyfriend in the slightest. At least Haidara is a left footer on the left but Santon's mismanagement was yet another Pardew masterstroke.

A double signing of a striker and centre half would go some way to calming things down, I think. They reckon Mbemba is only 20 but he's from the Congo so his real age is probably about 28 so he should be fine.

As I was saying

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/01/sport/football/age-african-football-mbemba/

Bloke has four birthdays and is probably 26/27. Champion.

Janmaat is comfortably better than Debuchy. I don't miss Cabaye's boyfriend in the slightest. At least Haidara is a left footer on the left but Santon's mismanagement was yet another Pardew masterstroke.

Can't agree. Not that Janmaat isn't decent enough, but I think Debuchy's injury problems since he left us have probably kept us from seeing what we're missing.

Can't agree. Not that Janmaat isn't decent enough, but I think Debuchy's injury problems since he left us have probably kept us from seeing what we're missing.

Sounds like we're missing someone with a lot of injury problems

The team certainly played better with him in it. I don't think Janmaat has the same energy Debuchy has and gets caught out of position sometimes. Think Debuchy had a bit more consistency too, but Janmaat has age on his side.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

I'm not one for stats but IIRC, they show that Janmaat provides more assists than he did. I think he's more solid defensively too.

Let the record show that I am not prepared to engage in a Fish-style discussion about this. I probably won't even read the replies

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

The team certainly played better with him in it. I don't think Janmaat has the same energy Debuchy has and gets caught out of position sometimes. Think Debuchy had a bit more consistency too, but Janmaat has age on his side.

Janmaat is fucking quality, he gives more to the team than Debuchy. Debuchy can't defend, Janmaat is more solid. I am looking forward to seeing him marauding down the wing again this season. Plus Debuchy is a crock, Janmaat is like a machine and is rarely injured.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic