The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

I too am bewildered by Mbemba's lack of game time for us. Looked to be a good player in the prem, a few mistakes but nothing critical. Good pace and an instinct to start attacking moves from the back.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth a go over Colback then surely.

Yeah I don't mind Clark tbh, think he's a decent no-nonsense type of CB (questionable at PL level but maybe Rafa's coaching can help). Lascelles looks shaky and indecisive anytime the ball gets near our box, I just don't see what Mbemba has done that has him below even Hanley (maybe something in training? but surely we'd have heard). 

I've been very pleasantly surprised by Clark.  Think he's got a good range of passing for a CB too and is unlucky not to have had a few goals.

Personally think Mbemba's looked a little shaky in this league so far. Obviously I don't see Rafa's plans nor what goes on around the training pitch either. I suppose this where good managers err, manage different players.

It was that Wolves much that did for him I think. Douglas has written a Facebook post about it which is quite interesting:

Interested to see talk of an Mbemba/Townsend swap. The fall of Mbemba this season has been strange - he was signed for £8m and came out of relegation in credit. Strong, brave, powerful and good with the ball at his feet, he has all the tools to become one of the Premier League's best defenders.

Yet this season he can't unseat Ciaran Clark or Jamaal Lascelles. So what's happened?

Well there have long been rumours of him being a bit unsettled in Tyneside. It took him a while to learn English & at the start of the seasom Rafa was asked a few pointed questions about the defender's. He made the right noises in reply but it felt like there might be more to it.

Rafa also likes his players to respond to instruction. Against Wolves at SJP, the day that Mbemba lost his place, it was felt Mbemba did his own thing. He had a very bad game. Since then Clark has been outstanding.

Mbemba has the potential but Rafa has a plan. He's been desperate to re-sign Townsend all month, seeing it as a signing for the premier league. Now the question is whether he'll sacrifice a player he doesn't seem sold on for one he wants.

Personally I'd be sad to see Mbemba leave with potential unfulfilled. But if Rafa's plan is to unfold fully, you might see a few more surprise departures. Team is more important than the individual...

Palace's interest is genuine. Newcastle have wanted Townsend all window. We could be on for an interesting last three days of the window....

I get that he had a bad game against Wolves but Anita is shit every time he plays and he keeps getting picked. Maybe there is something in the not settling in part. It just seems weird the lad really hasn't been getting a look in.

I get that he had a bad game against Wolves but Anita is shit every time he plays and he keeps getting picked. Maybe there is something in the not settling in part. It just seems weird the lad really hasn't been getting a look in.

He only plays in September.

What would McCarthy cost then? £20m? Is he worth £20m? Not sure it'd necessarily be an Ashley move to fail to pay £20m for a good but unspectacular midfielder.

You may have a point on the Townsend front though.

Hmm... at least the notion we've made a bid for a player calms down my Ashley sense a little.

Then again, we've done this before. Berahinho who we knew we weren't going to get. There was that whole Bryan Ruiz fiasco and many similar ones. We're going to have to move fast.

And if we do pay £20m for McCarthy I'm not that bothered - it's not coming out of my bank account.

Hmm... at least the notion we've made a bid for a player calms down my Ashley sense a little.

Then again, we've done this before. Berahinho who we knew we weren't going to get. There was that whole Bryan Ruiz fiasco and many similar ones. We're going to have to move fast.

And if we do pay £20m for McCarthy I'm not that bothered - it's not coming out of my bank account.

What bothers me is they're saying he has been our primary target. If that is the case why has it took 4 weeks to put in a bid for him? It does seem like a token bid like you have mentioned.

20m is a bloated fee but I'd rather spend 20m on a player like McCarthy than 15m on Scott Hogan tbf.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic