The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

I won't be surprised if we don't bring anyone in this window, I think we have strength enough to win promotion if Rafa gets his tinkering correct.

The only thing we have to offer at the moment is 'possible' promotion which is not a very big carrot to dangle........and money.

With promotion assured it will provide a huge carrot to lure players in during the summer window, and there will be players at end of contracts looking to secure their future careers.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be surprised if we don't bring anyone in this window, I think we have strength enough to win promotion if Rafa gets his tinkering correct.

The only thing we have to offer at the moment is 'possible' promotion which is not a very big carrot to dangle........and money.

With promotion assured it will provide a huge carrot to lure players in during the summer window, and there will be players at end of contracts looking to secure their future careers.

That's pretty much it, Noelie.  You old so-and-so.

If Townsend plays like he did at the back end of last season then he'd almost guarantee promotion and be an asset in the PL. No brainer really.

McCarthy is also accomplished in the PL as well so would a prudent signing (although 16m looks a bit steep. I'd think half of that would be fair)

I think if we'd got past Oxford few would be demanding signings this window. I think there's a thing goes through people's head during a transfer window as when there's a 3 for 2 deal on soft drinks in the supermarket. I think this squad is on course for a c100pts season and will be enough to get us promoted automatically. 

Every squad can be improved, but if we're being quoted £35m for two Croatian lads under 20, £16m for James McCarthy and £22m for Tom Cairney, if Patrick van Aanholt moved to Palace for £14m and if Jake Livermore is "worth" £10m I'd say this window isn't the one to be buying players. 

As has been said, it's clearly a seller's market and while we're financially hale and healthy it behoves Rafa and the owner to keep one eye on the recruitment that will be needed in the summer.

If we could secure a couple on loan, that'd be perfect, but it seems that selling clubs want permanent deals, understandably so. Playing well for a Championship club for 4 months isn't going to increase a departing player's value by much, and for senior players like McCarthy and Townsend those 4 months are 4 months off what is surely their last contract with their club. If they're getting £50k a week, will playing for Newcastle in the championship raise their selling value by £800k? I doubt it.

Edited by The Fish

Looks like we've put the Mbemba <> Townsend reciprocal loans on the table. Would be happy with that if it went through - we'll be in a better position to decide on permanent transfers in the summer. Are we happy with the centre back cover though?

Looks like we've put the Mbemba <> Townsend reciprocal loans on the table. Would be happy with that if it went through - we'll be in a better position to decide on permanent transfers in the summer. Are we happy with the centre back cover though?

I really rate Mbemba but if he has fallen out with Rafa then a loan is a good deal. 

I know Hayden can play there but not sure if he'd be good backup after Hanley.

Edited by Holden McGroin

I really rate Mbemba but if he has fallen out with Rafa then a loan is a good deal. 

I know Hayden can play there but not sure if he'd be good backup after Hanley.

Mbemba was both shit as central defender and fullback.Weak as piss in the air and in the tackle and forever out of position.With Boumsong,the worst central defenders I've seen at SJP.Far worse than John Bird and Dick Barton.

Mbemba was both shit as central defender and fullback.Weak as piss in the air and in the tackle and forever out of position.With Boumsong,the worst central defenders I've seen at SJP.Far worse than John Bird and Dick Barton.

How old are you out of interest?

I always liked him but his form in the last or so (in which he played) was way down on what it had been in the past imo.  That may well have been due to the absolute cluster fuck of defence that was in front of him because they would have certainly dented his confidence.  But Darlow has barely put a foot wrong since he came into the team properly and I think he's looked the best keeper I've ever seen us have in coming for balls into the box.

I still can't help feeling for Krul like you say he had a shit bag of a defence to work with (not his fault) then his injury (not his fault) he's had 6 months at Ajax without an apearance (not his fault) & now again through no fault of his own he's frozen out.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic