The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

Can't see where I've said that so the rest of your post is pointless. I think I've been quite clear in saying that I think we're a worse team than we started last season with.

The team that started last season was pushing for top 6.

So your issue is that we aren't going to be a top 6 team? If that is what has you so pessimistic I don't know what to say.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remy's form in Ligue 1 in his last season at Marseille was shit. Marseille didn't win for 14 games and were very poor, Remy looked disinterested but popped up with a couple of goals. Sounds a bit familiar? His form for us when he was on the pitch second half of last season was also shit. Not sure you picked up what I meant there.

As for flexibility, it's simple. Cabella can play on both wings and through the middle. I see him on the left and Sissoko on the right and de Jong in the middle. You can also play Colback who can pass well behind them, with Tiote. Gouffran and Sammy provide other options out wide.

Cabella aside, those wide options are grim man. I can barely think of one appealing way to set this team up, so i guess there are plenty of equally unappealing ways which could equate to flexibility. Apparently colback doesn't pass forwards. That's off the SMB though so could well be sour grapes.

So I'm supposed to be optimistic at 7th or lower? :lol:

Which world are you living in? Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are all in a different league to us when it comes to the amount of money they have to spend. Tottenham generate significantly more and then things get closer. We're never going to be able to consistently compete with the top 5/6 without a super rich owner that is willing to just throw money at improving the team. And I don't condemn Mike Ashley for not being one of those owners (although I desperately want him to be). That's just the way it is.

I'm optimistic about having a team that, assuming some things go our way, could potentially be as good as the teams that have been pushing for Europe in recent years. Because I don't think that's something we're just entitled to.

I've been wondering why Southampton aren't just holding on to all of these players? They're the model of ambition, aren't they? Ambitious clubs simply don't sell their best players.

You would, you little scamp.

Heard it a lot last year. 'Why can't we be more ambitious, like Southampton?'. Now that they're following the exact same route as any other temporarily over achieving club - getting their best players, and manager, cherry picked by bigger, richer clubs - it's being held of up as an example of the ills of the modern game. No blame for their owner/board. Thought that was weird.

I don't think anyone seriously wanted to be more like southampton, we were mocking pardew's position that the likes of newcastle could not compete with them.

I've been wondering why Southampton aren't just holding on to all of these players? They're the model of ambition, aren't they? Ambitious clubs simply don't sell their best players.

Soiuthampton's ambition is the same as ours - to stay in the EPL. The only blame that can be attributed to the board is that they signed Poccho as manager. Without him they would not have finished where they did and play the style of football they did. If you were the parents of Shaw and Chambers and MU and Arsenal came knocking would you just tell their sons to stay where they were and wait for BM, RM or Barca. I very much doubt it. Chambers is on his way to Arsenal for £16 million so for two Academy full backs they will have raked in £48 million. As for the others contracts do not mean a thing today. Players have all the power and decide as when they are going to leave.

The ambition left Southampton when the chairman, Nicola Cortese, walked. Dont forget he was contentiously spending the Markus Liebherr estates money - so it was never going to last long.

Thing is with another 2-3 good players we could have a great squad. But I dont expect Ashley to go for that. He'll sign a striker probably but thats about it. It'll be infuriating, being on the verge of something potentially great but afraid to take the next step. Much like the summer we finished 5th.

People saying we'd be relegation fodder at the end of May were being dramatic. The fat man has learned to at least invest enough to keep us away from that sort of trouble.

Well, our form in the second part of last season was relegation form. And the season before last we narrowly avoided the drop. I don't have confidence that Ashely has learned anything. He's a pure maverick man.

Ashley will be telling Charnley to monitor this situation I am sure.

Exclusive possibility. :D

"Obiettivo di mercato di alcune squadre italiane, tra cui il Torino, Facundo Ferreyra potrebbe andare in Inghilterra. L'attaccante dello Shakhtar Donetsk infatti è nel mirino del Newcastle, che ha formulato un'offerta di prestito con diritto di riscatto. Una possibilità. Il Newcastle pensa a Facundo Ferreyra."

Great stats.

Just the sort of free scoring striker we should be getting linked with.

:suicide:

16 goals in 22 games in Argentina, 6 in 11 for Shaktar and 5 in 12 for Argie under 20s. Not exactly a bad strike rate for a young striker

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic