England Squad

Kid Dynamite

If you have zero hope of winning, then giving players experience is a great idea for the longer term.

Tell that to the Greeks. I guess you don't mean that we have literally zero hope?

Still, play to win. If you have to take a couple of work experience boys, take them along for the ride but don't select them over better options.

Edited by beatty

henrywinter: Second wind....England Band lost sponsor but still going to Brazil. FA working to persuade World Cup organisers to let trumpets into grounds

:jesuswept:

Edited by Bizza

That's about the best squad he could have picked really. There's a few here and there people would swap but I'm glad he stuck with the youth, we looked a lot more lively and positive through qualifying playing. There is fuck all point bringing the 'experience' as they've all failed spectacularly in their primes why would that change now they're all north of 30? I don't mind seeing Gerrard there but he shouldn't start every game, it's time to let the young lot have their chance.

The lack of hype of your chances from pundits etc has me concerned, there hasn't even been the usual comparisons of Rooney to actual brilliant players like messi and ronaldo etc

How am I meant to consume the tasty treat of a footballing lesson being dished up to England when it hasn't been seasoned with all the arrogance in the media... ffs sort it out, and leave that fucking band behind

My favourite bit in 2010 was watching gareth barry trying to catch Ozil for the fourth goal :lol:

hope Klose gets crippled before it mind... don't want him beating the phenomenons record.

Theres time yet, the leagues only just finished and the FA cup final is still in the way

My favourite bit in 2010 was watching gareth barry trying to catch Ozil for the fourth goal :lol:

:lol: Aye, not great watching for the England fan. To be fair, the Italian was obsessed with Barry, you could tell by the way he pronounced his name that Barry was a thing for him, a role in an Italian squad, not an Englishman with not/bad average talent and zero pace.

To your point though, you need belief to perform well and to raise your game. Not saying we should 'believe' but you've got to go into the games on the front foot, confident you can win. Look at Italy in Euro 2012, the game against England saw them look full of confidence (obviously Pirlo was class) and England looked more and more knackered as the game went on. They weren't any more knackered than the Italians, the Italians believed (and they had a bit of extra class). The tempo and energy from England faded because of lack of belief. The Italians carry that through and then play a huge game against Germany in the semis. They then get found out against Spain as Spain have an aura and Italy didnt believe.

Got to strike a balance of course and the media doesnt help by being idiotic.

That's about the best squad he could have picked really. There's a few here and there people would swap but I'm glad he stuck with the youth, we looked a lot more lively and positive through qualifying playing. There is fuck all point bringing the 'experience' as they've all failed spectacularly in their primes why would that change now they're all north of 30? I don't mind seeing Gerrard there but he shouldn't start every game, it's time to let the young lot have their chance.

Absolutely. We're not going to win it. Give the kids their chance. Lampard is lucky to be there in that regard. I'd have forced Gerard into early retirement too if I were Hodgson but at least you can say he played every week for the league runners up.

Absolutely. We're not going to win it. Give the kids their chance. Lampard is lucky to be there in that regard. I'd have forced Gerard into early retirement too if I were Hodgson but at least you can say he played every week for the league runners up.

Aye I'd of only brought one of them tbh, for their experience. I like Lampard but just can't see him having much impact in the heat and humidity at his age. We're against 2 South American teams who will deal with the humidity far better than our lot, playing Gerrard and Lampard will see us overrun tbh. Our best shot is to put on the youngsters that have a lot of pace and energy and try and play as high tempo as we can, Gerrard and Lampard would slow us to a crawl like they have for years. It's a shame we've had so many injuries like Walker, Wilshere and Walcott , I know Wilshere can play but he might not be at his best.

Don't get this they've failed at tournaments before so therefore they'll fail again way of thinking.

Never been a WC winning team with some ageing non-previous winners in it before?

If they've still got something to contribute, which they both do, then they should be used accordingly.

Don't get this they've failed at tournaments before so therefore they'll fail again way of thinking.

Never been a WC winning team with some ageing non-previous winners in it before?

If they've still got something to contribute, which they both do, then they should be used accordingly.

How many chances do they need? Carrick has more to offer than lampard at this stage.

Lampard and Gerrard should not be on the pitch at the same time.

Definitely wouldn't be starting Lampard but 10 minutes left, a goal down, I'd like to have an experienced head who's been and done it in the biggest, high pressure CL games available to come on and move the ball about calmy and take a chance if it comes up, if the pressures getting to some of the younger players. Can see a use for Lampard in that scenario, don't mind Carrick but of either of them that went Lampard's the more useful as a sub imo.

Some of this squad haven't even experienced a Europa League group game yet, impossible to know who'll thrive or shrivel up when the shit hits the fan.

And again there is no number of chances, you don't stop picking useful players just because in a different system surrounded by different players 2, 4, 8 years ago it didn't gel.

Definitely wouldn't be starting Lampard but 10 minutes left, a goal down, I'd like to have an experienced head who's been and done it in the biggest, high pressure CL games available to come on and move the ball about calmy and take a chance if it comes up, if the pressures getting to some of the younger players. Can see a use for Lampard in that scenario, don't mind Carrick but of either of them that went Lampard's the more useful as a sub imo.

Some of this squad haven't even experienced a Europa League group game yet, impossible to know who'll thrive or shrivel up when the shit hits the fan.

And again there is no number of chances, you don't stop picking useful players just because in a different system surrounded by different players 2, 4, 8 years ago it didn't gel.

What is this gel you speak of?

It is a decent squad. Better than the last two. I think England were the Titanic, they tunred the wheel two years ago but were heading the same direction. Now it is heading the way it steered.

• 7 years later...

Resurrecting another old thread. No call up for any of our players. Not sure how much more Burn has to do to be selected ahead of slabhead mind you.