John "The Undertaker" Alder & Liam Sweeney RIP

Gene_Clark

I met The Undertaker about 3 or 4 years ago at a FA Cup game between North Shields and South Shields in Bede. A very quiet bloke, but nice natured and staggeringly knowledgeable about football. Without checking I'd guess he was mid to late 50's and this is an absolute tragedy for all his family and friends, puts everything in to perspective, and although this isn't the thread for it you have to question what a rogue state Russia is now. Absolutely pathetic how they've handled Ukraine over the last year and no one will stand up to him and his cowboys.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, and I appreciate your sentiment, they're unfortunately not the only NUFC fans to die in tragic circumstances. They are just the most high profile ones.

As such I think a plaque might be going too far.

I'm sure the club will do well by them, they've done the right things so far.

To be fair, and I appreciate your sentiment, they're unfortunately not the only NUFC fans to die in tragic circumstances. They are just the most high profile ones.

As such I think a plaque might be going too far.

I'm sure the club will do well by them, they've done the right things so far.

I disagree as it happens, I think any Mag who dies in a tragic accident at or en route to supporting their side should be remembered permanently in some way, plaque or not. Our support is the lifeblood of this club and at present are the only thing that makes this a 'big' club. These two were die-hards and John Alder in particular has been a permanent fixture at every NUFC game since the year I was born! That surely deserves some permanent memorial/plaque around St.James' Park? As CT states, it's big enough! What's a small plaque in one of the many thousands of breeze blocks in our stadium? It gives young supporters of the future an idea of the heritage of the club and the supporters whose footsteps they follow.

I'd agree with a plaque. :up:

It doesn't have to be massive but I imagine his family would like some recognition from the institution that spent his life utterly dedicated to.

The ultimate tribute the club could do is sign two marquee strikers and try and win the league or FA cup or even try for a place in Europe. Then if we did win a cup or qualify for Europe dedicate it in the lads memories

Edited by trooper

The Undertaker was one of my NUFC 'pals' group in the late 70's to late 80's. I'm an old git now (56) but does anyone know if any of the other guys are about?.. Hoss from Durham, Muzz from Prudhoe, Big Mick & Big Anth from Darlington, Davey, a dumb lad we nicknamed 'The Silent Menace', Mal Clark from Leeds & John Carry from York. No doubt others that I can't remember.

John was a lovely bloke and part of a great set of fun loving lads who always had a load of laughs pre & post home games and on the train to away matches. On one memorable occasion he organised us into groups of 4 at Kings Cross station to go to a pre-arranged bar. As all the taxis pulled out the daft bugger hadn't included himself and was still standing there on his own!

Tough luck John, wrong place at wrong time syndrome; you're going to miss a lot of matches now which is a real pisser. See you in heaven when my turn comes - and I bet you're still wearing that bloody suit. RIP mate and thanks for the good times.

The Undertaker was one of my NUFC 'pals' group in the late 70's to late 80's. I'm an old git now (56) but does anyone know if any of the other guys are about?.. Hoss from Durham, Muzz from Prudhoe, Big Mick & Big Anth from Darlington, Davey, a dumb lad we nicknamed 'The Silent Menace', Mal Clark from Leeds & John Carry from York. No doubt others that I can't remember.

John was a lovely bloke and part of a great set of fun loving lads who always had a load of laughs pre & post home games and on the train to away matches. On one memorable occasion he organised us into groups of 4 at Kings Cross station to go to a pre-arranged bar. As all the taxis pulled out the daft bugger hadn't included himself and was still standing there on his own!

Tough luck John, wrong place at wrong time syndrome; you're going to miss a lot of matches now which is a real pisser. See you in heaven when my turn comes - and I bet you're still wearing that bloody suit. RIP mate and thanks for the good times.

Post on here again, Wardi.

Your names mean fuck all to me, (my away days started 1988), but I'm pretty sure I'd recognise your faces. Thanks for your memories, mate. Your tales are not wasted, believe me.

As I understand it, the Mackem efforts towards a flower tribute for our fallen soldiers(Toon army regulars) has grown out of all proportion. Apparently the surplus of thousands of pounds is to be directed to our own charities on Tyneside,, not Wearside.

This is a remarkable gesture from our arch enemies. I've gone a little soft on the Mackems now, and commend the lad who started the ball rolling.

Mirfield to be precise for Mal; he moved to Newsham & opened a paper shop in the late 80s iirc... his brother still works at the Ministry & sorts out loads of away travel for the likes of Davey Faichen etc.....

Was talking to Biffa on Saturday at Bay v Musselbrough; he'd tentatively arranged to go to NZ & would have been on that flight if he'd booked.

The only reason The Undertaker went that way was because of cost; his preference had been to go on the Saturday after the Reserves at Gateshead, but it was £500 more or something, hence why he left on Thursday.

These tiny margins.....

P.S. Respect to the Mackems

I dont want to take anything away from the lad who set the SAFC fund up, nor RTG who set the ball rolling or the mackems that since dipped their hands in to their pockets and put up for this. Fantastic effort and gestures from all. However, I do think that people need to realise and acknowledge that the "pot" has since been used by people from all walks of life. Fans & supporters from other teams, neutrals, nufc fans and so on. The collected money so far is amazing and good to see such a thing come about and speaks volumes of the lads in question, the rivalry of the two clubs, and other people in general.

Just realised that Liam was in my year at school. Nice lad from the couple of times I spoke with him - some of my other mates were a bit closer to him and never had a bad word to say. Real shame.

Nice to see the response though, from both the club and the Sunderland fans (and others).

Aye, it's a great show of support from Sunderland lads and lasses. Personally I think it would be fitting if there was some way of showing mutual respect at the next derby until kick off!

Having stood many times and jeered as they've walked up Barrack road, I feel as though applause would be more fitting this year.

Maybe I'm just an old softy but that's how I feel about this.

Once the whistle goes though.........