Newcastle United V Manchester City | Sunday 17 August 2014 | St. James' Park | Kick-off 16:00

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was encouraging the way City resorted to dirty fouls any time we looked like threatening. We offered some genuine threat (yes, despite the 0 shots on target) and that's something we really didn't do last time we faced them.

5 shots to their 7 is probably a better indicator, albeit also error prone.

Shots off target can be better chances than shots on target. You have to look at the shots individually to see the real story.

Hopefully HF will show up with some heat map or whatever to show us that story.

That backheel from Dzeko(?) for the first goal shows the real difference. The absolute class of their players to create chances in a pretty tight contest with few real openings.

Rivière is a beast

Cabella is going to be class

Colback is actually a tidy player

Perez looked very good in his cameo

Plenty of positives to take from today. Negative is that Colo probably at fault

For both goals and looks on the wane

Nobody was expecting any points from the game.

Few were expecting a good performance.

What we got was 1 or 2 stand out games and an encouraging performance on the whole.

But we didn't win or score so we should all surrender to apathy or the odd pleasure one feels at having a negative prediction come true (enough) to claim some kind of prescience.

Edited by The Fish

Despair for anyone who can't take anything from today's game.

Citeh have spent the best part of 500mill in 5 years. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2553796/Proof-money-buys-happiness-Manchester-City-Chelsea-Manchester-United-net-spend-charts.html

That's why they didn't need to get out of second gear. We didn't surrender or lie down, in spite of Pardew being his usual mealy mouthed self pre game. Add a striker (Remy?) to that and Tiote and we get upper mid table. Same as normaI tbh, I want better but it's Mike Ashley folks. It's him that can't be arsed with better.

That backheel from Dzeko(?) for the first goal shows the real difference. The absolute class of their players to create chances in a pretty tight contest with few real openings.

With two central defenders marking him he should not have been able to make anything but a backwards pass. If there was going to be second man on him it should have been a fullback. Easy in retrospect of course. I thought both Coloccini and Williamson individually had pretty good games spare that moment.

...and that's something we really didn't do last time we faced them.

Night and day compared to last season's opener. My recollection is that that abomination spurred us on to lift our game and get some results shortly after. Hopefully we build on the positives here and win some very winnable fixtures in our next 6.

I don't why we should be complaining to much it was our first game of the season. Time enough for the team to gel properly and there is Tiote, Dejong and Pappiss to come back into the fold.

I see Pardew is saying all the wrong things as usual so I expect us to be cautious as owt, concede an early goal and then spend the rest of the game desperately trying to undo the damage before conceding a second after 84 minutes to finish us off.

Hope you had a tenner on it.

In retrospect, BenArfa coming on instead of Obertan could have had a game changing effect.

Why doesn't Pardew get some sense, stop being petty and arrogant, man manage, bring him back into the fold, and use him for the better of the Club.

I could see Cabella & BenArfa dishing out nightmares for any defense.

Looking at the highlights again, to me Janmaart should have been covering Collocini for both the goals but he was ball watching. Hope they coach that out of him quick smart.

In retrospect, BenArfa coming on instead of Obertan could have had a game changing effect.

Why doesn't Pardew get some sense, stop being petty and arrogant, man manage, bring him back into the fold, and use him for the better of the Club.

I could see Cabella & BenArfa dishing out nightmares for any defense.

Read a tweet about the bust up being a set up. Ben Arfa off the bench with the ultimate warrior music playing after embracing Pardew on the touch line would have been mint.

Looking at the highlights again, to me Janmaart should have been covering Collocini for both the goals but he was ball watching. Hope they coach that out of him quick smart.

He's not had a lot of preseason time to be fair, confident he'll settle and get better as he gets more used to his team mates and becomes matchfit

Riviere is strong but doesn't look very composed or accomplished, but the occasion might have gotten to him a bit. Whilst we haven't bought a proven goalscorer, Cisse coming back and the two other lads look like they can push for a place. Competition is something we haven't had up front for a while, just reliable old Shola happy to sit on the sidelines. Hopefully they'll all push each other.

And to add a negative bit to my post for MT's benefit, don't look too much into yesterday's performance as an indicator of how we'll play this season. We're perfectly capable of doing well against bigger teams (Chelsea, Man Utd last season) then looking absolutely garbage against dross.

Can't wait for next week though, intrigued to see how we fare.

5 shots to their 7 is probably a better indicator, albeit also error prone.

Shots off target can be better chances than shots on target. You have to look at the shots individually to see the real story.

Hopefully HF will show up with some heat map or whatever to show us that story.

ff861553231d33e81f24780292920bb1.jpg

Yeah, that was definitely a cross with a tad too much weight on it. Shouldn't be included in that. Possibly an understatement about the weighting :lol:

Have to say that we did create 2, 3 possibly 4 half chances. At 1-0 Ayoze came within an inch of leveling the game. So it wasn't a bad attacking performance as we did create chances over the course of the 90 minutes. The problem I had is that those chances were only created in the final stages of the game where we had no choice but chase the game. Early on we were very conservative with our runs into the box, resulting in many fruitless attempts to play balls into a box that consisted of a nervy Riviere and 4 or 5 MC defenders. Odds against us on all our attacks. And that was actually an improvement on what we did last season, where we just hit ball after ball from all angles in the hope of getting lucky. At least we have started to try and fashion out half and full chances which has given me room for optimism.

Edited by beatty

Some positive aspects to yesterday, no doubt, liked Colback, thought Janmaat showed promise defending, but we still have Pards, Obertan, Dummett, still need a CB and still need a striker, (zero shots on target, people). Would like to have seen De Jong yesterday so looking forward to him hopefully making the Villa game.