Generic small time football blather thread 2015/16

The Fish

A nagging sense of inevitability set in against Leicester City despite the late lead we enjoyed. Can't say why although I doubt I'm alone...

How many seasons after all can one hold on and hope to slide through? That is not Aston Villa. That kind of desperate existence is totally unacceptable, unbearable and totally incompatible with Villa's glorious past. That is not what, or why, I looked to get involved back then and it is why I've looked for some time to make a change. I can say certainly in good faith that I have tried to sell since my May 2014 announcement and put our beloved club in better suited hands - but that hasn't happened.
I write to Villa supporters to make clear that this relegation lies at my feet and no one else's. And because I believe in Aston Villa and know it will come back stronger and more able, with love and care for the community it serves, with the edge and attitude it must have to represent our history and tradition. Memories of Acorns on the shirt, and Ashley Young scoring a late winner against Everton still romantically nourish me. I know Villa will return better, stronger.
I will continue to try to put the club into worthy hands as I have, and also do my best to position Villa for the quickest possible return to its rightful place among England's elite.
R Lerner

Yeah, I'm not sure people were blaming anyone but you.

Isn't it all about expectations (not in a pejorative way)? Yes, Newcastle (or Spurs or Everton) would be delighted to consistently be playing in the Champions League or getting an FA Cup every other year, but Arsenal have the resources, the stadia, most of the players, to be able to challenge for the title and should be able to win it as well as any cup trophies they fancy. If they consistently were missing out because they were bereft of funds, or they just frankly weren't good enough, that'd be fine, but it's the same hurdles that they should be clearing that trip them up.

They have needed a top class defensive midfielder, and a top-rate centre back (and perhaps a different type of striker). They can both afford and attract them, so why haven't they bought them? Wenger's intransigence and arrogance (perhaps) means they'll spend c£80m on 2 world class attacking midfielders, when that side of their game isn't exactly weak. And while Ozil and Sanchez are incredible players, they've not been the difference between 4th & the title. I know it's generally fruitless to make hypothetical comparisons, but if they'd spent that money on players like Kante and Chiellini/Bonucci/Godin they'd be a much better team.

Their anger is seeing wasted potential, seeing mistakes being repeated every year and clubs around them making ground every season. Especially galling will be Tottenham's change from relegation candidates in 08/09 to genuine and worthy title candidates in 7 years.

I understand their frustrations, but fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said there. Especially about Wenger's arrogance in refusing to change his principles and bring in the type of player everyone can see they need (how many attacking midfielders do they have for fucks sake). What I would add is that us, Everton, Spurs or whoever would react the same way that they do if we'd been right up there for years but had a manager who refused to do what was necessary to get over the final hurdle. Of course it sounds like being spoilt kids to any supporter of a team who's worse off but what's the point in playing the game unless you're trying to comepete at the highest level you can. For Arsenal at this moment in time it should be mounting a credible league challenge every season. But they've not finished in the top two for over ten years (I think). They've always fell away before the end for reasons everyone can see. Their board should have been telling Wenger that he needs to adapt his approach or move on years ago because by allowing him to continue on the same path, they are accepting they will not be able to properly compete for the title. And for a club with their resources, that shouldn't be acceptable.

Of course I have no sympathy for them (did you see the prick on Twitter the other week saying he was going to move his support to Citeh because he couldn't stand losing anymore?) and think the double standards in the press is a disgrace. But I can't argue against their point.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said there.

Couldn't have just left it there, could you? ;)

Of course I have no sympathy for them (did you see the prick on Twitter the other week saying he was going to move his support to Citeh because he couldn't stand losing anymore?) and think the double standards in the press is a disgrace. But I can't argue against their point.

Didn't see that, I think Arsenal (and Man Utd/City & Chelsea) have more customers than the rest of us do. People who're into football because they can vicariously be successful through their side, not because of any genuine affection for, or connection with the club/area/city.

I did think about it but where's the fun in that.

Didn't see that, I think Arsenal (and Man Utd/City & Chelsea) have more customers than the rest of us do. People who're into football because they can vicariously be successful through their side, not because of any genuine affection for, or connection with the club/area/city.

Aye you're right of course. I can't understand viewing football that way. Would save a lot of grief no doubt but where would the enjoyment come from?

I did think about it but where's the fun in that.

Aye you're right of course. I can't understand viewing football that way. Would save a lot of grief no doubt but where would the enjoyment come from?

The high that Leicester fans are enjoying now, the joy that Wigan fans experienced in 2013 can only have been made higher and sweeter by the years of misery that preceded it.

The high that Leicester fans are enjoying now, the joy that Wigan fans experienced in 2013 can only have been made higher and sweeter by the years of misery that preceded it.

Even just the general high of scoring a goal can't be replicated. I went to the England Germany game the other week and while the comeback was great, the feeling didn't come close to comparing the feeling I've had when celebrating any number of Newcastle goals.

The odd thing is that the best sides Arsenal have had under Wenger had that steel and nastiness about them. He inherited the famous back 4/5 but he signed Vieira and Petit. The later 'invincibles' still had Vieira and the likes of Gilberto Silva, Lauren and Ljunberg. The latter 3 were all good players he signed but it's difficult to imagine him signing players like that for them now and their exactly the sorts of players the team needs. I agree with what's been said about some Arsenal fans to an extent but, at the same time, I think their should be serious questions asked about how they aren't in the running for the league in this of all seasons. There's been so little (if any) progress from the team in recent years.

Or football

The odd thing is that the best sides Arsenal have had under Wenger had that steel and nastiness about them. He inherited the famous back 4/5 but he signed Vieira and Petit. The later 'invincibles' still had Vieira and the likes of Gilberto Silva, Lauren and Ljunberg. The latter 3 were all good players he signed but it's difficult to imagine him signing players like that for them now and their exactly the sorts of players the team needs. I agree with what's been said about some Arsenal fans to an extent but, at the same time, I think their should be serious questions asked about how they aren't in the running for the league in this of all seasons. There's been so little (if any) progress from the team in recent years.

Aye it's as if he wants to prove he can win the league without those sorts of players when all he's actually proving is the exact oposite.

There must also be questions asked of their injury problems. Arteta, Rosiky, Wilshire, Walcott, Ramsey and Oxlade-Chamberlin are getting injured every season. They're either soft as shit or doing something wrong in training.

My mate bumped into him a year or so ago. Said he he was on edge the whole time they were talking as he's always been a heed the Baal. Think it was Boro up here where he ran into their 'boys' on his own when he must have only been about 16? Not all there I'd guess. I don't think I've laid eyes on him since Mickey Quinn played for us. Don't know him personally, like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guest locked this topic