Newcastle United V Arsenal // St James Park // 12.45 KO

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was not a red card offence and I'm sure if it is appealed it will be rescinded.

Haidara is the weak link in the back 4.

Anita was off-key today, he should have been pulled earlier and DeJong sent in.

Chauvin certainly shows great promise but the help and service was missing today due to the red card.

Sissoko lacks the final finish. He had a good chance but shot wide.

Too bad we had to account for the winning goal.

Yeah. I think the way McClaren is setting up he wants a striker that has a more rounded game than Cisse. Perez is a good bet. He's look good each time he's been involved so far this year.

On another note, I'm not sure why the criticism for Anita and Colback is continuing. They are a massive part of the reason we held them to 1-0 and were unlucky to concede today. They did an admirable job against a midfield which is renowned for having lots of possession, whilst we were a man down no less. I can't understand it.

I think sometimes people just pick a scapegoat, or two, and blame them for every misstep the team takes throughout the year. We had 10 men for 70 minutes of the game ffs. What were they supposed to do?

I think the signs are promising. We performed well against Southampton and could have won. Granted, we were poor against Swansea, but we were outstanding against Man U, and played well today given that any chance of winning the game was forfeit the moment Mitrovic was sent off.

That Anita has been selected for Holland speaks to his form at the moment. Colback is never going to stand out unless he fucks up, which he rarely does. He's in the side to do a similar job to Tiote, but because there's little threat he's going to break someone's legs every time he's near the ball, he's rarely noticed. Look at the closing moments of today's game. The kid was absolutely knackered because he ran his heart out all game. That's his job and he gives a decent account of himself more often than not.

Throw this game out the window, but my impressions so far is that they haven't gotten Goerginio involved in the game more thus far in the season, And I blame that entirely on Anita and Colback the two deep mids. They have to find him more and quicker.

And about Haidara...I love him on the defensive side, but he is quickly becoming a build-up destroyer. Too many times already good build up play has ended at his feet. He needs to either get the ball in the box quicker, or lay it off to one of his mates. Too much dilly dallying about trying to beat his marker and losing the ball.

It's still to early to tell if we will be able to create enough chances to score enough this season. We do have a tough start to the schedule no doubt about that.

Edited by LooneyToony

I hope really hope the Club will contest the red, it was so clear he had his eye on the ball but unfortunately he was a split second to late. If he was just a bit earlier he would have got the ball. Coquelin the cunt screaming like third degree burns victim, definitely made the refs decision easier, especially with Mitrovic's reputation.

Football is dead as a contact sport, it's pathetic, any contact is now a free kick, it's beyond fucking shite.

The worst part is there is a separate set of rules for certain high profile teams.

Never a red for me, but Mitrovic is now a marked man by refs and opposition wind up merchants. Agree mostly that there are encouraging signs, but the other side of that is we've spent 80 million in 12 months and we're still at the bottom of the table. Modern football for a whole host of reasons mentioned in this thread is fuckin mad.

No way it's getting rescinded btw, Nobles will be but there's enough debate about ours that they will take the easy way out and back he ref. Doesn't help that The commentators on the game and MOTD went on like he'd snapped his leg off. Keown then called for Arsenal players to surround the ref more often and harangue him into booking players like his team used to :lol:

Seeing a lot of talk that even if it wasnt intentional, and just a fraction of a second off and an accident, he should have still walked.
And that even if he hadnt connected it was still reckless, so the ref got it right regardless - shouldn't feel aggrieved because if an arsenal player did the same then it would have been the same.

zFpWofy.jpg

Right ho then

We've signed a player with a discipline problem. Rather than appeal the decision, which would be futile and would send the wrong message to the player, the priority should be addressing the problem which, if people take their black and white glasses off for a second, isn't first and foremost down to refereeing.

If you took the three moments of stupidity that we've seen so far out of his game, he'd still be a big aggressive centre forward. He just wouldn't also be a thick knobhead. It's over to McClaren to sort it out.

Edited by Gemmill

As a decision the red is highly debateable. Mariner sent off the wrong player (ironically Arsenal's Kieran Gibbs) a few years back, he's got form for incompetence. His partiality and consistency in this match were dreadful. But its all the Mitrovic's fault? Aye rightyo :lol:

In an ideal world Mitrovic doesn't give him a decision to make but as has been said its a fuckin contact sport and mistimed tackles happen. I preume he was sent off for serious foul play? That's for intentional offences, not mistiming due to the ball being nipped away by the Arsenal player a fraction before the challenge came in.